Start - Run - %temp% files copy themselves.

alex

When I try to clean out files manually by running %temp%, as I'm selecting
the files to delete, they start making copies of themselves, and I have more
to delete as I go on. Selecting "edit -all" to erase them all at once never
works because I always get a message that some file is being used elsewhere,
and can't be deleted.

Any ideas?
--
Thanks, Alex

You are accidentally dragging your mouse as you're selecting. As you can
see this creates copies. You have to be careful. The only way to learn
how, is to practice.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:4DC223C1-D042-45C4-BC2F-0D9CE0FAB441@microsoft.com,
Alex <st7alex@nyc.rr.com.(donotspam)> hunted and pecked:

Alex wrote:
> When I try to clean out files manually by running %temp%, as I'm
> selecting the files to delete, they start making copies of
> themselves, and I have more to delete as I go on. Selecting "edit
> -all" to erase them all at once never works because I always get a
> message that some file is being used elsewhere, and can't be deleted.
>
> Any ideas?

Alex

In addition to the advice from Wes, you can use the free Microsoft TweakUI utility to solve this problem.

Go to the following website and download the free Microsoft TweakUI Powertoy.

After the file is downloaded, double click the file to install. Open TweakUI and go to the Mouse menu item. Change the "Drag" value to a higher number. I recommend a setting of 25 Pixels. This will allow the mouse to be moved slightly without any unexpected results when selecting files.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Hi Ronnie,

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten that those settings were even
there in TweakUI. I had been honing my manual dexterity skills. ;-) I
did make some setting changes.

Besides using TweakUI, Mouse Properties in the Control Panel has plenty of
settings.

Here's some additional info on TweakUI Mouse settings.

TweakUI
[+] Mouse

Menu Speed
The Menu Speed slider control sets the speed at which
cascading menus automatically open when you move the
mouse over them. The fastest setting causes them to open
immediately and the slowest setting is extraordinary slow.

To test the mouse setting, right-click the test icon.
-----

Double-click sensitivity
Double-click sensitivity specifies how close together two
mouse clicks need to be (in pixels) to be considered a
double click.

To test the double-click sensitivity, click twice on the test icon
with the left mouse button. If the two clicks registered as a
double-click, then the icon will change.
-----

Drag sensitivity
Drag sensitivity specifies how far (in pixels) the mouse must
move with the button held down before the system decides
that you are dragging the object. Increase this value if you
find that you are dragging objects accidentally when you click
on them.

To test drag sensitivity, try to drag the test icon with the
left mouse button. The icon will begin dragging when you
have moved the mouse the necessary distance.
-----

Hover
This is used to detect when the mouse hovers over the icon to get selected.
The size of the region is determined by the hover sensitivity in pixels.
-----

Wheel
This is used to control the number of lines when the mouse wheel is
scrolled. This can be either one page at a time or a particular number of
lines at a time.
-----

X-Mouse
The “Activation follows mouse” checkbox enables X-Mouse style window
activation. When X-mouse style window activation is enabled, you need only
move the mouse into a window in order to give it focus. Normally you must
click on a window in order to give it focus.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:OS1emfVpFHA.2904@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Ronnie Vernon MVP <ronv@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:

Wesley Vogel wrote:
> Hi Ronnie,
>
> Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten that those settings were
> even there in TweakUI. I had been honing my manual dexterity skills.

At my age, manual dexterity is not an option. I have to use every tool available. <bg>
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

<LOL> I just turned *OLD* (50) this year. *eg*

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:OEqVblapFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Ronnie Vernon MVP <ronv@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley Vogel wrote:
>> Hi Ronnie,
>>
>> Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten that those settings were
>> even there in TweakUI. I had been honing my manual dexterity skills.
>
> At my age, manual dexterity is not an option. I have to use every tool
> available. <bg>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

I heard on the radio yesterday that Kermit the Frog also just turned 50. At
least I am not green.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:O013G9bpFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> hunted and pecked:

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Alex wrote:
> > When I try to clean out files manually by running %temp%, as I'm
> > selecting the files to delete, they start making copies of
> > themselves, and I have more to delete as I go on. Selecting "edit
> > -all" to erase them all at once never works because I always get a
> > message that some file is being used elsewhere, and can't be deleted.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Alex
>
> In addition to the advice from Wes, you can use the free Microsoft TweakUI utility to solve this problem.
>
> Go to the following website and download the free Microsoft TweakUI Powertoy.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
>
> After the file is downloaded, double click the file to install. Open TweakUI and go to the Mouse menu item. Change the "Drag" value to a higher number. I recommend a setting of 25 Pixels. This will allow the mouse to be moved slightly without any unexpected results when selecting files.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Thanks for all you suggestions. However, if I do this (i.e. change a pixel
setting) will this affect my work in Photoshop, where I often do have to move
around in one-pixel increments?

terry

Green comes after your dead.!