to TOM

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'd just like to thank you for all the hard work that you do. A Friend of mine turned me on to your site awhile back and ever since then I have been coming here and reading your reviews. I read the review on all the i815 boards that were out at the time that you had and from that I got a asus cusl2. And I must say that I am very pleased with it. Thank you for all that you are doing I have come to read your site daily and always find it fun to read as well as answering some questions that I do have about things.

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
2 years ago I was a complete computer illiterate, starting to learn the procedures of starting a computer. Then I discovered Tom's Hardware. Now I can built a completely new system from scratch running without problems. Thank you Tom and everyone in the team.

------------------------------------
Morgan 1.6Ghz + 256DDR = Dream on

G

Hey,

I want to extend my thanks to Dr. Pabst. It was a long time ago that I was turned to your site. I don't rmeber when, but I know that my knowledge of computers has increased 10 fold, and I'm considered on of the for most "computer guys" for my age. Thank you Dr. Keep up the good work.

Timothy Stankus
One of the First AMD Athlon Users =)

G

Guys, thank you a lot. You did wonderfull job by creating this forum. It is very usefull.

Sanik

Sanjar Saidhojaev
MS in IT, Rochester Institute of Technology<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Sanik on 11/11/00 11:41 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks Tom, I also read every day and this is my starting site. Been reading for about 2 1/2 years or so. Built my first system 1 1/2 years ago with confidence from here.

This forum needs a scan feature to see the unread posts in one scroll. Other than that, it seems great. Good Luck, Take_Out

G

Pls forward to Tom. I don't have his address yet.

Dr. Pabst,
I've recently bought an Asus A7V to fit my new Duron 600. The board features a UDMA100 slot. I also recently purchased a Maxtor 20GB HDD that features UDMA 66. My motherboard book claims that the HDD will work in the UDMA slot provided I use the cable they thoughtfully provided, yet I cannot access the drive unless I connect it to the other IDE slots. Is there a dip switch, jumper, or bios setting I have to adjust before I can use the UDMA 100 socket?

Sincerely,
Mike

P.S. Kudos for running such an outstanding site! You've really helped me understand life in the post-486 computer age! Keep up the good work.

G

Me Too, Dr Tom Pabst, you are my Guru. Tom, thanks for the years of honest, unbiased coverage. And thanks also to staff at THG to.

G

While your ATA100 drive is connected to the IDE, load the ATA 100 Promise drivers (mass storage) from the ASUS motherboard CD or go to the ASUS web site and get the latest updated Promise drivers (prefered).

After you load the Promise drivers, move to the ATA100 plug.
With the ASUS CD drivers, boot-up will be slow, with the latest Promise drivers the boot will be normal.

Hammy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yeah, I have been reading his site for a year or two now. I leave for the Navy in 4 days, so I am gonna miss reading your site for about 2 months. It will be hell trying to catch up on the industry after boot camp.

G

It was in the early years (of my computer experiences) when I was still using AOL and Windows 3.1 on my state-of-the-art $2500.00 Acer 486-33 (4meg of ram soldered onto the MB, 230MB HDD, built in Cirrus Logic video, SB16, 2x CD, 2400 baud modem, HP Deskjet 500). The first upgrade I did on the computer was 4 meg of ram ($130 dollars on sale) while trying to make the orginal Doom work on my computer (a few months later I paid $200 for a 16m stick). I was playing Doom or DoomII when I made the plunge into the world of AOL. I found Tom's orginal site with that old 2400 baud modem. Of course 2400 baud was all ready old school in 1996 so my next upgrade was a hand-me-down 14,000 baud modem I bought from my brother. I could really cruise AOL with that modem.
It seems like there were even more changes going on at that time than now. Tom was very young, opinionated, and fearless, the website was a hobby and not a business. He did it for fun and to help folks like me who were not informed and lacked the resources to experiment with lots of different equipment.
Even though I did not know it and had never played the video games of my day (pong) I had become an addicted computer gamer playing Doom and Doom 2.
Gaming is of course the only reason to upgrade a computer. After all the Space Shuttle still uses 386 processors, so if a 386 is capable of that task it is certainly capable of writing a letter and surfing the internet.
Even though I am an electronics technican by trade, I knew virtually nothing about computers before I started reading Tom's Hardware (seems like it used to be called something else).
Based on the pearls of wisdom that Tom handed down, I plunged into the world of system building. I have always regretted saving a few dollars and going with the K6-200 over the P200-MMX. However the red hot TX chipset served me well. The Diamond Stealth 2 (V2100 chipset) chosen for its feature set and excellent picture quality has migrated from that orginal Pentium class computer (along with the later addition of an 8meg Monster 2) to my first Celeron 300a ABIT BH-6 system (as luck of the draw would have it my first Cel-300 would not O.C.) Upgrades and flow down works great at my house and when my girlfriend needed a real computer (Mac girl) I landed a 300a that hit 450 without a hitch. As more family members needed computers the flow down continued with me getting a Celeron 366 (550), (that old Stealth 2 and Monster 2 combination made it all the way to my current P3 system before being retired).
Current computer configurations for my girlfriend errr I mean wife (well she did switch from Mac to PC for me) and myself are Soyo SY6ba+IV, SB-Live, 128ram, WD153B, oc Celeron 366(550) hers, oc P3-600(800) mine, Radeon 32DDR.
(I still have the Monster II in my computer just in case someone makes a glide only game)
In the early days there really was no incentives for Tom to orginate the website other than to help other people. It does not surprize me at all that he is now a medical doctor.
Thanks for helping to get me started and thanks for keeping up the website. Everything evolves, I still enjoy knowing what Tom has to say and I do not see that changing any time soon.

Regards,
Chas

CowGod2134

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanx Tom
your hard work has payed off since i have started to come to your site daily i am now able to build my own system.
AND OH THE JOY

G

Its been 2yrs and still I keep reading this site to help me make buying decisions. Thanks for all your hard work and dedication. Keep it up!

ClancyDK

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
THG is the best site on the net! It's also my starting site, and it will allways be! I started reading it in the TNT days, when Tom made me "go for a TNT" instead of a VooDoo 2. THANKZ!!! I really could run Quake 2 better than all of my "VooDoo Friends", that was pretty cool...

G

Kudos to Tom and all his support staff. The new forum is excellent. I can remember coming across this page years ago when trying to find more info on my brand spankin' new P-75.

Wow, I miss the old overclocker's forum, that made it so easy to buy good spec'd cpus. It was new back then, but what a helper!

Anyways Tom, keep up the excellent work and honest reviews!

PS - If anyone in your realm reads this, please try a coppermine celeron on an LX chipset. I'm dying to see if a board based on this is capable of a major upgrade like the old ASUS P55T2P4!

Thanks Again!