K6III+ Review

G

I posted this info on the old forum but here it is again since a lot of people have been expressing interest in this chip.

First, in Tom's article he says that the voltage for the K6III+ is 1.8 and the picture he has of a K63-500+ has 1.8v stamped on the chip. My K63450+ however, came with 2.0 volts stamped on the chip so I used that as my starting point. Hear are some of the results I have achieved so far. This is with a Tyan 1598 ATX board which I highly recommend for stability (although it doesnt do bus speeds over 100 unless there is an undocumented setting for it). While no board Ive seen officailly supports the K62+ or K63+, my tyan board recognizes this chip as an ordinary K63 which should be fine as far as I can tell. The Tyan board is also great in that it offers voltages from 1.3 all the way to 3.5 in .1v increments. All of the results below were with a standard but decent quality heatsink and fan. Nothing exotic.

4.5X100 = 450 2.0v
This is the spec setting - no problems. With case temp at 72F, cpu temp was 95F while sitting in the bios setup and 88F in Windows 2000.

5.0x100 = 500 2.0v
Once again, no problems. With case temp at 72F, cpu temp was 98F while sitting in the bios setup and 90F in Windows 2000.

5.5x100 = 550 2.0v
Once again, no problems. With case temp at 72F, cpu temp was 107F while sitting in the bios setup and 95F in Windows 2000.

6.x100 = 600 2.0v
The 2.0/6.0 multiplier is undocumented. The manual for the Tyan 1598s only lists multipliers from 2.5x to 5.5x. But, after some experimentaion, I discovered that On/off/off for jumpers jp1/jp2/jp3 will give you this setting. At 600 the system booted to win2K and ran OK but with intermittant errors. With case temp at 72F, cpu temp was 115F while sitting in the bios setup and 100F in Windows 2000. This setting was no where near stable enough to satisfy me.

6.x100 = 600 2.1v
After the previous attempt at 600 failed I decided to up the voltage from 2.0 to 2.1. Two things happened. First, temperatures went up significantly. With case temp at 72F, cpu temp was 135F while sitting in the bios setup and 123F in Windows 2000. Second, the system was much more stable but still not stable enough for me. It was ever so close though!

I believe that at 600 and 2.1v settings heat may have been comming into play and that the chip could probably be made to run at that speed with better cooling. However since the point of this was to do a cheap upgrade (the K63-450+ only cost me $42.95 plus shipping) spending more money on better cooling didnt make any sense. Besides, subjectively I cant tell the difference between 550 and 600 anyway. So, I backed off to 5.5x100 at 2.0 volts. I'm extremely pleased with that. A 100Mhz overclock is a bit of a first for a chip in the K6 line, and now this system will keep me going for a few more months till I go with either an Athlon or PIII with DDR.

G

Hey,

This confirms my eariler statement. Although the "+" series seems more overclockable, they aren't. The K6 series never really were. Heat does play a factor in the overclocking, and they just aren't stable enough. That's also why you don't see anything over 550, cause it's just not possible

Timothy Stankus
One of the First AMD Athlon Users =)

G

I'm sorry TripleH, but as in the other thread, you are wrong. The K6-X+ line does seem to be _very_ overclockeable. There are many cases of the K6-III+ reaching 600 and some even as high as 660. You just have to have a good HSF and maybe burn in the proc a little. There are many cases fairly well documented on the AmdZone <A HREF="http://www.amdzone.com/forum/categories.cfm?catid=13" target="_new">K6-X series forum</A>.

G

Hey,

Thank you for providing that link. Up till now I have never had seen a succesfully overclocked K6-2 or K6-3, or plus series either. They are overclockable, I should have said they are overclockable, but when reaching 600's they aren't uniform in stability. Then again nothing is, but Usually a chip will tend to be more stable or unstable. The K6-X is all over the place. Thank you though for that link, Its some good reading.
=)

Timothy Stankus
One of the First AMD Athlon Users =)

G

"...This confirms my eariler statement. Although the "+" series seems more overclockable, they aren't. The K6 series never really were. Heat does play a factor in the overclocking, and they just aren't stable enough. That's also why you don't see anything over 550, cause it's just not possible..."

I have to disagree with you there! I was really pleased that I was able to get this CPU to 100MHz over its rated speed with no special cooling beyond a decent heatsink and fan. I feel like thats pretty good overclocking results. My results also seem to indicate that 600 or more is possible with the right cooling -- which I just don't care to invest in right now.

Geeba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
K6-2's not o/c'able???.. I have a 350MHz @ 500 with nothing more than a Golden Orb and Artic Silver gunk... thats almost a 50% increase :cool:

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by geeba on 11/28/00 07:43 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

An update to my original post (reproduced below):

After swaping in a different heat sink from another machine and increasing the voltage from 2.0 to 2.1 my K63+ 450 has been rock stable at 6x100 = 600 for about 4 days now while running 24x7. The heat sink I swapped in is still nothing special, just a little better than the piece of crap I was using before. With this setup, temps are maxing out around 115F.

It was working so well, that I have been experimenting trying to find undocumented settings that will give me over 600 but no go. I only found one undocumented bus speed for my Tyan 1598 and it appears to give me 75Mhz. so it looks like 600 is the absolute maximum that can be achieved with this board. Oh well, 150 Mhz above rated speed is still not too shabby for a $42.95 CPU!

----------Original Post----------------
I posted this info on the old forum but here it is again since a lot of people have been expressing interest in this chip.

First, in Tom's article he says that the voltage for the K6III+ is 1.8 and the picture he has of a K63-500+ has 1.8v stamped on the chip. My K63450+ however, came with 2.0 volts stamped on the chip so I used that as my starting point. Hear are some of the results I have achieved so far. This is with a Tyan 1598 ATX board which I highly recommend for stability (although it doesnt do bus speeds over 100 unless there is an undocumented setting for it). While no board Ive seen officailly supports the K62+ or K63+, my tyan board recognizes this chip as an ordinary K63 which should be fine as far as I can tell. The Tyan board is also great in that it offers voltages from 1.3 all the way to 3.5 in .1v increments. All of the results below were with a standard but decent quality heatsink and fan. Nothing exotic.

4.5X100 = 450 2.0v
This is the spec setting - no problems. With case temp at 72F, cpu temp was 95F while sitting in the bios setup and 88F in Windows 2000.

5.0x100 = 500 2.0v
Once again, no problems. With case temp at 72F, cpu temp was 98F while sitting in the bios setup and 90F in Windows 2000.

5.5x100 = 550 2.0v
Once again, no problems. With case temp at 72F, cpu temp was 107F while sitting in the bios setup and 95F in Windows 2000.

6.x100 = 600 2.0v
The 2.0/6.0 multiplier is undocumented. The manual for the Tyan 1598s only lists multipliers from 2.5x to 5.5x. But, after some experimentaion, I discovered that On/off/off for jumpers jp1/jp2/jp3 will give you this setting. At 600 the system booted to win2K and ran OK but with intermittant errors. With case temp at 72F, cpu temp was 115F while sitting in the bios setup and 100F in Windows 2000. This setting was no where near stable enough to satisfy me.

6.x100 = 600 2.1v
After the previous attempt at 600 failed I decided to up the voltage from 2.0 to 2.1. Two things happened. First, temperatures went up significantly. With case temp at 72F, cpu temp was 135F while sitting in the bios setup and 123F in Windows 2000. Second, the system was much more stable but still not stable enough for me. It was ever so close though!

I believe that at 600 and 2.1v settings heat may have been comming into play and that the chip could probably be made to run at that speed with better cooling. However since the point of this was to do a cheap upgrade (the K63-450+ only cost me $42.95 plus shipping) spending more money on better cooling didnt make any sense. Besides, subjectively I cant tell the difference between 550 and 600 anyway. So, I backed off to 5.5x100 at 2.0 volts. I'm extremely pleased with that. A 100Mhz overclock is a bit of a first for a chip in the K6 line, and now this system will keep me going for a few more months till I go with either an Athlon or PIII with DDR.