arkus

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
Is there not a Vista thread going anywhere? I'm interested to know if there are any truly useful new features at this point in beta.

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?pid=21597#p21597" target="_new">My Rigs</A>

^^^ Not Vista. And that theme....*sick* :frown:

(\__/)
(='.'=) <A HREF="http://snipurl.com/fxwr" target="_new">Welcome to the House of Horrors, welcome to the House of a 1000 Corpses</A>
(")_(")

riser

Illustrious
Peer Name Resolution Protocol..

It's turned on by default in Vista and I guess it's vulernable to attacks. I haven't really looked into it, I just read a little on it but I didn't get indepth to figure out how it works.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Paul Thurrots Windows SUperSite is a nice site to read a detailed review + Screen Shots..

http://www.winsupersite.com/

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Idn, So far from what i read/see i like it.

Vista gets an OK from me.

i like that nice Graphics Change for the Alt+TAB feature.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Did they make it to where when I hit "End Task" it will actually end the task? Will it actually go to task manager when I hit ctrl+shift+esc when I am in another program and cant click the task bar?

Bassical what im asking is, DID THEY FIX THE ANNOYING BS THAT XP ALWAYS HAD?!?!?

Sometimes I want to beat the hell out of the people that make these things so damn annoying!

<font color=red>"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"</font color=red>

"<font color=blue> Wusy</font color=blue> <-Professional sheep banger"

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Ohh... On my athlon multitasking would be crap at best.. Did they improve that?!?!

<font color=red>"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"</font color=red>

"<font color=blue> Wusy</font color=blue> <-Professional sheep banger"

joe_tlj

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2003
Win2003 is everything WinXP should've been.
I'm sure it is the more powerful OS, but I've heared some bad things about it. A friend of mine, his dad, runs win2003. It takes 10 minutes to boot up. He got so tired of this he just runs it in a virtual PC so he never has to reboot it. Probably not typical, but just FYI.

Joe_tlj: /watches episode 63 of RedvsBlue
Head librarian: "These computers are for educational puposes <b>only</b>, not for... games."
Joe_tlj: /thinks angry thoughts

riser

Illustrious
It is a server.. it's loading and storing more information into memory, checking stability, checking all the records.

Yes, it will take longer to load because it's not designed to be shut down that often. Even when you attempt to shut Win2k3 down, it prompts you for a reason, then you confirm it.

Now, Wusy is using the Server as a personal computer instead of a server for the most part. It will work, but I'm going to go as far as saying he doesn't shut his computer down that often.

On top of that, it's a solid platform, by far the best released by Microsoft to date.

It just depends on what you're using it for, a server or a personal computer. If it's PC use, then yeah, there are drawbacks to it.

Then the hardware requirements will also factor in. I've had Win2k3 running on a 500MHz Compaq workstation with 512MB ECC Ram, 18.x GB SCSI drive. It takes about 2-3 minutes to boot up. 10 minutes means whoever built the computer probably didn't use the right hardware, or the hardware isn't designed to support a server. You can install it on a PC and it should run fine, but it's designed to run off server software.

Actually, you might want to read over the article published today on Tom's. At least it's not another stupid gaming article. But even then, the article doesn't cover anything really worthwhile outside of common knowledge - it might be beneficial for the general population than myself. But I spend a lot of time working with Win2k and 2k3 server.

RichPLS

Champion
Windows 2k and 2k server had the same kernel, and 2k could be modified to server.

Is XP and 2003 server similar, based on same kernal?

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

riser

Illustrious
Honestly, not really sure. I do know they've made changes to 2003 that XP had problems with, but I don't know to what level it was.
They similar in a lot of ways, but 2003 had some extra time for changes. In most case I would say yes, but there might be a few differences.

riser

Illustrious
I've been running Win2k3 servers at my current job for months at a time. The only times I've had to restart them it when I've installed updates that required a restart.

Now, did you buy this server or was it donated to you, what? That's a lot of cash sitting in that computer there..

I'm waiting for our next round of updates so people can ship me their old servers. I need some to setup a test domain in my office and you know, just to have more computers at home.

I get teased cause I have 5 computers sitting in my bedroom, all hooked up to a 24 port switch, all on battery backup, and they all serve a purpose.. haha.

I'm currently rebuilding one to Wise Repackaging and having it dual boot, 2 XP installs, one to do full testing on a domain.

I'm waiting for Dell to offer up their $750 off Inspirons so I can pick up a nice laptop, in addition to my 13% off.. I want a nice laptop that I get out of my apartment and go somewhere and do work..

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
well with beta 2 (5231) that i have i think they automatically end any non responding program in a amount ot time (ironically it was explorer.exe 10 minutes into the trial....) and then if its something like explorer.exe they will restart it (i was shocked!!!) so instead of me try to do it on my forzen comp it will do it automatically for me, then it will bring up a problem solver thingy, asking you if you wish to let it to search the MSDN database for solution for this "problem" (lol explorer.exe crashing?) and then if ya click no then you can get to this problem solving program in windows viasta's control pannel.... i even tried to let it go onto the internet to find a solution, but it says page not found...

S/S will come eventually of the problem solver, and surprisingly the added effects didn't slow my compt too much, but since i didn't install drivers for my video card there was some problems with some programs running (fading into the backgrond and kept flashing like layers being covered up over and over etc...) this could cause the explorer.exe crash by this as well, as most of the interface have gotten more bells and whistle

AMD A64 3200+Venice @2.65GHZ
DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D
OCZ 2x512mb EL Gold VX PC3200 ram 2-2-2-8
evga eGeforce 6800GT 256mb GDDR3 ram
Enermax 485W PSU
Bios 6/23
Windows XP SP2

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hehehe, this wholes windows thingy is going to be "better and better and better", bwahahahaha...

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...