  • Microsoft
  • CD-Rom
  • Windows XP
August 20, 2005 12:21:01 PM

I am Getting a DVD error mssg IO_ERR_BAD_BLOCK
cd rom

what can I do
--
Crabby

More about : cdom error

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 1:21:58 PM

crabby wrote:
> I am Getting a DVD error mssg IO_ERR_BAD_BLOCK
> cd rom
>
> what can I do

Crabby

Could be a scratched or badly copied DVD disk or the DVD drive itself? We need more details.

Go to Start/Run and type eventvwr.msc and press OK. In the Event Viewer, click on Applications and then System in the menu and look for any red "X" error messages that coincide with the time the error occured. Double click the error message to see the details. At the top/right of the details dialog box, click the small icon that looks like 2 text pages to copy the error message and paste the message back here in a reply to this post.

Go to Start/Run and type msinfo32 and press OK. Click Components/Problem Devices to check for possible hardware problems.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
August 20, 2005 3:06:02 PM

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Cdrom
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7
Date: 8/18/2005
Time: 12:09:48 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HAL
The device, \Device\CdRom1, has a bad block.

Data:
0000: 03 00 68 00 01 00 b8 00 ..h...¸.
0008: 00 00 00 00 07 00 04 c0 .......À
0010: 00 01 00 00 9c 00 00 c0 ....œ..À
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 80 dc 00 00 00 00 00 .ۆ.....
0028: ed 98 a5 00 00 00 00 00 혥.....
0030: ff ff ff ff 00 00 00 00 ÿÿÿÿ....
0038: 40 00 00 c4 02 00 01 00 @..Ä....
0040: 00 20 0a 12 48 02 00 00 . ..H...
0048: 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 ........
0050: 30 37 86 00 a8 e2 ce 82 07†.¨â΂
0058: 00 00 00 00 90 17 ef 82 ....�.ï‚
0060: 00 00 00 00 90 1b 00 00 ....Â?...
0068: 28 00 00 00 1b 90 00 00 (....Â?..
0070: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0078: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0a p.......
0080: 00 00 00 00 11 00 00 00 ........
0088: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
This is what I got from event mgr

cd's play in other driver but not in this one,,,,,

thx kc
--
Crabby

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> crabby wrote:
> > I am Getting a DVD error mssg IO_ERR_BAD_BLOCK
> > cd rom
> >
> > what can I do
>
> Crabby
>
> Could be a scratched or badly copied DVD disk or the DVD drive itself? We need more details.
>
> Go to Start/Run and type eventvwr.msc and press OK. In the Event Viewer, click on Applications and then System in the menu and look for any red "X" error messages that coincide with the time the error occured. Double click the error message to see the details. At the top/right of the details dialog box, click the small icon that looks like 2 text pages to copy the error message and paste the message back here in a reply to this post.
>
> Go to Start/Run and type msinfo32 and press OK. Click Components/Problem Devices to check for possible hardware problems.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 11:57:14 AM

crabby wrote:
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: Cdrom
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 7
> Date: 8/18/2005
> Time: 12:09:48 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: HAL
> The device, \Device\CdRom1, has a bad block.

> cd's play in other driver but not in this one,,,,,
> snip <
> thx kc

Again, this error is commonly associated with a bad copy, scratched CD or other problems that can happen to the disk itself.

However, in this case where the CD works in a different drive, you may want to do some diagnostics on that CD drive.

Events & Errors Help: Windows 2003 Server: cdrom: 7:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/result.aspx...

How to troubleshoot CD-ROM drive problems in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314096

--

!