DDR Athlon/Durons

G

hey, would it be worth it to wait until i can get my hands on a ddr athlon/duron and other parts like ram, mobo, etc. ? or just go with regular ones now?
thanx in advance

Magus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you've got 180 bucks, you can consider "renting" a duron 700 and an abit kt7. It'll overclock very nicely and you'll be able to sell it off once DDR comes out if that's the route you want to take. I'm not going to run out and buy the first DDR board that comes out though, that's for sure.
But then again, I'll use any excuse to upgrade my pc :)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Magus on 11/11/00 03:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
According to many Tom's benches DDR sound as if it doubles your performance, which is not. It increases the performance by round 10%, which is reasonable, but if I had to spend more money to buy an entire new system just for DDR, heck no. I'll stick with my 7 month old k7v. I'l rather wait Sledgehammer or Clawhammer

------------------------------------
Morgan 1.6Ghz + 256DDR = Dream on

G

It depends on whether you can wait some months. If the system you have now runs fine for the moment, then, well, waiting is always great.
Personally, I'd say DDR is worth the wait - I'll probably get a new system as soon as mobos hit the market. The nice thing is that the new AMD CPUs - as far as I understand it - will still be Socket A, so getting a DDR mobo is a fine thing, as both components, RAM and CPU are easy to upgrade.

On another thing, the NEW thing is the DDR RAM, and motherboards which work with it.
The other components like CPU and graphic card have nothing to do with it (actually, the AMD CPUs have been DDR for some while now, but that's an entirely different issue).

G

Smart post dude. I'll get a DDR MB also but will see whats best and get that. I have a KT7 and a Duron 700@1032 so more power than that isn't really need now anyway...

BatMan

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AMD has finished validating the DDR something to those motherboards.. I read it somewhere but I forgot where. It is known that this action leads to earlier release of DDR motherboards (December-January?) so a month is not too long to go.

Smart guys are not smart; they only see things in different perspective.
1st <b>member</b>!