Harold

Hi,
I moved (installed) my HD from my "running well" older pc, with xp pro,
programs, documents and so on, to a new one (new cpu, more memory, new video
and sound card, etc). But when I turned on, I got error message OS LOADING
ERROR, or something like that. Then, I tried Norton Recovery System doing a
MBR fix. No more error message, but now a blinking cursor at top left. I
created a Windows XP boot disk to start the computer, but got a missing
hall.dll. Then I tried a windows repair reinstall, it seemed to go ok but
when the instalation process restarts to coninue the instalation the pc
hangs. I'm sure there's a way to recover my system before I do a less smart
clean install. What to do now?
Harold.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You probably cannot recover from the mess.

What you were supposed to do was boot from the XP CD and do a 'repair'
install first. Nothing else should have been required to get things working
correctly. Because you ran the Norton stuff you pretty much screwed things
up.

"Harold" <klj2612(remove_this)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I moved (installed) my HD from my "running well" older pc, with xp pro,
> programs, documents and so on, to a new one (new cpu, more memory, new
> video and sound card, etc). But when I turned on, I got error message OS
> System doing a MBR fix. No more error message, but now a blinking cursor
> at top left. I created a Windows XP boot disk to start the computer, but
> got a missing hall.dll. Then I tried a windows repair reinstall, it seemed
> to go ok but when the instalation process restarts to coninue the
> instalation the pc hangs. I'm sure there's a way to recover my system
> before I do a less smart clean install. What to do now?
> Harold.

Harold

Yeah. I do agree with you. After the mess I did I've tried everything with
no success. Anyway, I still can copy the HD (at least) and then a clean
intall.
Tks a lot.
Harold.