Networking problem

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 2, 2005 11:29:21 PM

I'm trying to hook up two computers on a Motorola gateway. The main
computer is hooked directly to the modem and is working fine. The second
computer in the back of the house is not connecting. I've tried everything
I can think of to connect and nothing is working. The house is not huge,
just average size 2 bedroom and the gateway is in the front near the door
and the wireless computer is in the back bedroom, could the distance be too
far for the connection?
Also, which is better gateway?: Linksys or Motorola?

Thanks

BsT

More about : networking problem

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 8:59:18 AM

"Beowulfie" <enigma@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to hook up two computers on a Motorola gateway. The main
> computer is hooked directly to the modem and is working fine. The second
> computer in the back of the house is not connecting. I've tried
> everything
> I can think of to connect and nothing is working. The house is not huge,
> just average size 2 bedroom and the gateway is in the front near the door
> and the wireless computer is in the back bedroom, could the distance be
> too
> far for the connection?
> Also, which is better gateway?: Linksys or Motorola?
>
> Thanks
>
> BsT

first off Disable all Firewalls on both comps.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 5:32:39 PM

Ok, I've decided that I really don't need two internet connections in the
house. I've discovered that if I transfer files with a flash drive(yeah,
kinda slow of me, I know)that they will be delivered intact. I wanted the
two computers to network so I could exchange files. I tried making data
disks but found that they were usually degraded in some way, pictures with
parts missing and applications that won't run. But the few picture files
I've moved so far seem just fine and I'll try some vids and applications
later. So now I think I can rehook the old cablemodem and return the
wireless one.

BsT

"Beowulfie" <enigma@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to hook up two computers on a Motorola gateway. The main
> computer is hooked directly to the modem and is working fine. The second
> computer in the back of the house is not connecting. I've tried
everything
> I can think of to connect and nothing is working. The house is not huge,
> just average size 2 bedroom and the gateway is in the front near the door
> and the wireless computer is in the back bedroom, could the distance be
too
> far for the connection?
> Also, which is better gateway?: Linksys or Motorola?
>
> Thanks
>
> BsT

September 4, 2005 12:04:49 AM

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 19:29:21 -0600, Beowulfie wrote:

> I'm trying to hook up two computers on a Motorola gateway. The main
> computer is hooked directly to the modem and is working fine. The second
> computer in the back of the house is not connecting. I've tried everything
> I can think of to connect and nothing is working. The house is not huge,
> just average size 2 bedroom and the gateway is in the front near the door
> and the wireless computer is in the back bedroom, could the distance be too
> far for the connection?
> Also, which is better gateway?: Linksys or Motorola?
>
> Thanks
>
> BsT

It would help with determining what the problem is if people would
kindly let us now which operating system you're using (i.e. OSX, Linux,
Windows, etc.) and which version of the OS you're using and whether you're
statically setting your network parameters or doing DHCP. Anyway, if your
SSID isn't set then you won't be able to associate with the AP. If that is
properly set, then you need to determine if your DHCP server is running or
you need to properly set the static IP, gateway address and DNS server
addresses. If you're using WEP or WPA encryption, try turning that off to
see if that get's the PC running. It's possible that the wireless card is
improperly installed or the antenna isn't attached or you have a corrupted
or out of date driver for the card or there could be a metallic
obstruction (unlikely though) or you have interference to the
wireless channel that you're trying to use.

BTW, isn't there an FAQ to address these issues?
!