CHKDSK command and 'Check Disk' window

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I want to check the integrity of the file system of my F drive.

One way of doing this is to open a line command window using CMD and
then run the CHKDSK command (with the appropriate parameters).

A second way is to go to Win Explorer and select the F frive and then
Properties > Tools > Error-Checking.

Are these two exactly equivalent (assuming the appropriate check
boxes and command parameters are selected)?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Yes same thing. A third option is to run from the RC

You can;
chkdsk /r
from the recovery console command line. (/r implies /f and /p)

To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows XP
CD-Rom. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen. Press F10 or R to repair a Windows
XP installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
root, %systemroot% or %windir%

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"David Peters" <notmymail@mail.com> wrote in message
|I want to check the integrity of the file system of my F drive.
|
| One way of doing this is to open a line command window using CMD and
| then run the CHKDSK command (with the appropriate parameters).
|
| A second way is to go to Win Explorer and select the F frive and then
| Properties > Tools > Error-Checking.
|
| Are these two exactly equivalent (assuming the appropriate check
| boxes and command parameters are selected)?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Yes.

Ted Zieglar