What is a good FPS for a GTX 580 on BF3?

shadow1942

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
hi guys,

Just wondering what FPS people are getting with the GTX 580 on BF3?

I currently get around 70-80 in fast paced action up to 120 when theres not much happening just running around the country side. However it sometimes drop to 25fps when loading a game (is this normal?).

My specs are:

i7 2600k (overclocked to 4.5ghz)
hyper+ 212 cpu cooler
Asrock extreme 4
samsung spinpoint f3
OCZ vertex 3 60gig ssd
8 gig ram 1600mhz
850w cosair psu gold
ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II
NZXT phantom
Benq xl2410t 12ohz monitor

Also are there any tips besides running on lower settings to increase FPS? I currently run at full ultra settings and use IE as my browser. I'm not trying to brag in anyway as there's heaps better PCs out there just thought I'd get better responses if I supplied my specs.

RationalInsanity

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
It all looks normal to me, if the loading fps drop bothers you just lower some of the settings. However I would highly recommend you stop using IE as that will ause you problems. I would recommend you use goolge chrome.

RationalInsanity

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
It all looks normal to me, if the loading fps drop bothers you just lower some of the settings. However I would highly recommend you stop using IE as that will ause you problems. I would recommend you use goolge chrome.

RationalInsanity

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
Oops sorry about the double post, I was trying to edit the first one.

Apart from lowering settings, make sure you don't have lots of programs running in the background, try disabling your anti virus and you can also try downloading game booster.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

He gets 25 fps on the loading screen. This is normal for all cards in BF3.

OP your numbers are fine and look on par with what I would expect given your hardware. The only way you're going to get up to 120 fps to match your monitor's refresh rate in 64 player caspian boarder in the middle of a big fight, is if you SLI your card.

shadow1942

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I might roll back my videocard driver, after updating PB it certainly loads a lot quicker and in game is still very playable but I dropped out after almost every round last night. If the driver rollback doesn't work I may just put it down to BF3 servers being a bit crap hopefully the patch will help.

Also I'm talking to my service provider for internet since I seem to get very good download but last time I tested my upload was lucky to be a 1mb and I assume that this may be an issue as I gather that the game has to upload stuff when starting a game and might be causing the drop out.

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012
Mine drops to the high 30s during gulf of Oman with everything turned up to Max and I use evga classy. I turned MXAA to 2 and AF to 8 and now it rarely dips below 60. Dropping below 25 during load? Very normal; happened on my gtx 295 and happens now with my gtx580.

shadow1942

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
maybe its just normal the, I tried running as admin and while it does drop, so far no disconnects. Game loads fine and rins fine but when finished and new level is loading it would drop to around 25-30 fps then it would disconnect and I'd have to reconnect again then game would be fine until the end of the round again.

Anyway hoping running as admin has fixed it also followed a guide showing how to disable SSDP and UPnP. also turned off network discovery.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Everyone gets 25 fps during new map loading screen. That is normal.

Also jfizzle you can turn AF back to 16x. Your fps drop was from 4x multisampling. Anisotropic Filtering has very little impact on frames at all, even between 8 to 16x.

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012

Ya? You think Casual? You're probably right, I adjusted a few setting including hbao and ssao and when going back to hbao I didn't notice any tax on visuals. And yes you're definitely correct int the fps of loading screens.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Yeah, anisotropic filtering is just not hard for modern graphics cards to process. HBAO downgraded to SSAO would give literally 5-10x the benefit fps-wise as turning aniso from 16x to 8x, but the HBAO is pretty well written in BF3 apparently as even that doesn't cause much impact on most gpu's. Multisampling is the real crusher of the game with every other setting pretty far behind it.

On a side note, people who play BF3 competitively often turn deferred multisampling to 0x regardless of their graphics card setup because multisampling+post processing adds a haze over distant views that can obstruct enemies that aren't marked. Since multisampling is multitudes more taxing than the post processing, almost everyone just opts for the post processing and ditches the multisampling entirely.

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012
So you're saying to just thrash msaa? I'll buy it. Though one setting that may be of interest is changing the power management mode and the threaded optimization mode in nvidia's control panel. I went in power management and set prefer max performance and set threaded optimization to "on." With all settings maxed (including msaa) I didn't dip below 60 on firestorm, though I'd imagine the lack of trees on that map compared to the abundance on Caspian made a huge difference.

On a separate note, I've been looking for a clan, are you in one?

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

I just play with some friends who used to play competitive halo and some friends from bf2, nothing too serious anymore.

And yeah definitely set your NVCP settings to power management: max performance. I never change threaded optimization from auto but you are on the right track, and also correct about why certain maps do better with MSAA than others. A good measure for MSAA impact is Seine Crossing conquest, looking from the uncap, across the canal. That seems to be one spot where MSAA can drop your fps by as much as 15 even just at 2x MSAA.

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012

Ya I just played Caspian with it off and the lowest it hit was 59 and that was for less than a second, It was pretty much riding at 78 the whole time.

shadow1942

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
alright then so far all the changes I'd made no difference to drop outs. eg: disabling SSDP,UPnP and runnign as admin. Also ensured I had updated VC driver and PB. I didn't have MSAA on so that wasn't it.

I have everything on Ultra, AA deferred off AA post high, anisotropic filtering on 16x and HBAO.

I've now changed the power management to performance rather adaptive and otimisation threaded to on instead of auto. I'll do a couple of runs later and get back with the results.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

If the game is just crashing, then use MSI afterburner or EVGA precision, whichever you overclock with, to max your voltage to the bios limit. If you still crash, lower clocks slightly. BF3 is very touchy about voltages and overclocks, and certain cards even with factory overclocks that should be highly stable, will cause the game to crash due to voltage being too low for its liking.

shadow1942

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
okay so changing the power management and optimisation threaded worked it seems. I played 3 rounds at absolute low settings, no drop outs, FPS 100-120, still drops to 30 FPS after stats disappear and new level loads.

Put back to ultra everything, no drop outs, FPS 80-90 and stable, still drops to FPS 30 when loading level.

I'm beginning to think that as some have stated its normal but I might just download MSI afterburner as you suggested casual and have a look at my voltages, I haven't bothered overclocking past the factory overclock.