control panel files deleted, how to reinstall

When I click on Control Panel or My Computer icon nothing happens. I think
these files were deleted. My daughter was uninstalling McAfee and had to
boot into safe mode to manually delete McAfee. This must have deleted the
files needed for the Control Panel & My Computer.
I tried to reinstall windows XP from the original disk that came with my
computer. It would not re-nstall because it said the version that was being
used is newer than what is on the original disk.
I tried restoring the computer 2 times but this did not help. I will not
let me restore before the date that she deleted McAfee and installed a new
Security Program.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?
2 answers Last reply
More about control panel files deleted reinstall

    This is kind of a strange one.

    First, let us see if the control panel files are still really there.

    Double-click on my computer, and then the Windows folder, and then the
    System32 folder. Sort by name, and look for the files with the .cpl
    extension. If they are there, then you should be able to double-click on
    them, and they should open up OK.

    If that is the case, then I think we can re-build the start menu.

    Do you have multiple log ons to this machine? If so, can you log on as a
    different user, and see if the control panels show up for the other user?

    "miriam" <miriam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I click on Control Panel or My Computer icon nothing happens. I
    > think
    > these files were deleted. My daughter was uninstalling McAfee and had to
    > boot into safe mode to manually delete McAfee. This must have deleted the
    > files needed for the Control Panel & My Computer.
    > I tried to reinstall windows XP from the original disk that came with my
    > computer. It would not re-nstall because it said the version that was
    > being
    > used is newer than what is on the original disk.
    > I tried restoring the computer 2 times but this did not help. I will not
    > let me restore before the date that she deleted McAfee and installed a new
    > Security Program.
    > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

    First, I had to start my computer in safe mode because when I double-click on
    my computer nothing happens. In safe mode I found the system 32 folder. I
    found only 2 files, cpl_moh and cpl_moh(2). I double-clicked both files and
    got the message "Dell Moden-on-Hold" "X There is no supported modem
    installed". I don't know what this means. And the control panel would not
    open up. You also asked if I had multiple log ons for this machine. I
    regret to say I do not, so I can not log on as a different user.

    "Tom Felts" wrote:

    > This is kind of a strange one.
    >
    > First, let us see if the control panel files are still really there.
    >
    > Double-click on my computer, and then the Windows folder, and then the
    > System32 folder. Sort by name, and look for the files with the .cpl
    > extension. If they are there, then you should be able to double-click on
    > them, and they should open up OK.
    >
    > If that is the case, then I think we can re-build the start menu.
    >
    > Do you have multiple log ons to this machine? If so, can you log on as a
    > different user, and see if the control panels show up for the other user?
    >

    > "miriam" <miriam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I click on Control Panel or My Computer icon nothing happens. I
    > > think
    > > these files were deleted. My daughter was uninstalling McAfee and had to
    > > boot into safe mode to manually delete McAfee. This must have deleted the
    > > files needed for the Control Panel & My Computer.
    > > I tried to reinstall windows XP from the original disk that came with my
    > > computer. It would not re-nstall because it said the version that was
    > > being
    > > used is newer than what is on the original disk.
    > > I tried restoring the computer 2 times but this did not help. I will not
    > > let me restore before the date that she deleted McAfee and installed a new
    > > Security Program.
    > > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Control Panel McAfee Computers Windows XP