voodoo3 overclock

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey yall

would anyone who has a v3 2000 agp wanna share their overclock speed with me? I was just wondering how far should I push it from the original 143 mhz....
:)

G

jojo, your best bet is to just go for it. I'd start going up in 5mhz increments. First core, then RAM. After each 5mhz, run 3Dmark2000 at least once. If the demo completes (doesn't lock up), and you don't see any artifacts, then go another 5mhz. As soon as it locks, or you do see artifacts, go back down the 5mhz, then go up again 1mhz. Keep doing that for both core and RAM.

Then after you think you have a good setting, try looping 3Dmark2000 or something else (Quake3?) for the night. In the morning if it's still running, you got yourself a working card.

G

I have a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI with SGRAM memory and I am able to reach 166 Mhz. If I go further 3DMark hangs in the adventure demo it hangs. I was able to reach that speed after fitting a small fan with glue, now I have got a huge fan but I can't go any further anyway. I do have lots of troubles because I flashed a Voodoo 3 3000 Bios and now at the same speed is not stable at all and I can't find the old bios anywhere. And do not dare to leave the overclocked machine running all night, you should keep an eye on it in case it hangs because it may eventually burn your computer and the whole house.

G

My Voodoo3 2000 is able to reach 190Mhz 100% stable and with no artifacts in Quake III, 3DMark 2000, Everquest, or any other 3d game I have played on it. I have a well ventilated case with 2 fans mounted in the side (it is a cheap generic case with holes cut in the side by me), and a "slot cooler" mounted beneath the Voodoo3. My base system is a PIII 600@800Mhz (stable up to 864Mhz, but my Network card dies at any higher PCI speed than that at 800Mhz), Thermaltake Golden Orb heatsink with Copper "spacer", 128MB CAS2 Crucial SDRAM (tested stable up to 144Mhz @ CAS2), Abit BF6 440BX Motherboard. I have been running this system overclocked like it is now for 5 months so far, no problems yet, and this system runs pretty much 24/7 and has been the whole time I have owned it.

- Jacob Fuller<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sundownz on 11/13/00 05:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Starhawk

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi there, I'm writing this using a Voodoo3 2000 overclocked to 170MHz. Rock solid and significantly faster in Quake III. For cooling I use a rear 80mm case fan to draw air off the back of the card, and a small heatsink/fan similar to a 486's attached to the stock heatsink with thermal tape. Simple and effective.

G

Hey,

Try for 166 - 183 core speed. GET A FAN though.

Timothy Stankus
One of the First AMD Athlon Users =)

G

You're an idiot.

When it hangs, that means it stops working. It's not sitting there at the overclocked speed doing anything (then it wouldn't have froze in the first place).

G

Take it easy Murdly_Gurdson. I can't overclock my hyper-ventilated Voodoo3 2000 over 166 Mhz. Could it be because of the PCI bus running off-spec? My voodoo is in a heatsink and fan sandwich.

G

I have checked the PCI bus speed issue. I was running a Pentium 225 Mhz MMX, that's 75 Mhz bus speed, 37.5 Mhz PCI speed, I was able to overclock my Voodoo 3 PCI up to 166 Mhz, over that it crashed or hanged or freezed or whatever, after trying it at its original speed at 200 Mhz, 66 Mhz bus speed and 33 Mhz PCI speed my Voodoo 3 is going through 3DMark at 180 Mhz so far without any problem. Have any of you noticed how hot that small thing with a heasink underneath placed on the top left corner of the card gets? I MUST find a way to cool it before it melts!

G

My Voodoo3 must have magical properties or something, I ordered an OEM Voodoo3 2000 AGP and as I posted earlier it runs flawlessly at 190Mhz and has been doing so for months now. It has the stock heatsink on it, but my case is well ventilated. It has 2 fans in the side of the case drawing air in, one in the front drawing air in, and a "slot cooler" drawing air out under the Voodoo card. It runs stable at 193Mhz but artifacts begin to appear at this speed, and that is unacceptable to me.

- Jacob Fuller

chill

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok - I have to this Voodoo 3 2000 AGP 16MB - and it was good card - now i found this BUENO game - "Colin McRae Rally 2" and it's as slow as it can be - on minimum grapihics settings. (on Windows 2000 Pro)

Now I found this message board - I read it and my Q:is - how do I overclock my voodoo - do I need some kind of program or what? I eaven do nor know what is my cards Mhz - right now? some of you are say'n you have 160Mhz ... what is the default speed?

And gimme some hints - from where do I start to clock it?
I dont't have cooler on it - right now (today) - I suppose K6-2 cooler sits on it?

Thank U

- chill -

G

well i used a amd k6-2 333 cooler and a glued cut up 486 heatsinks on the memory and i used the stock cooler on the back using thermal tape werks real good too very stable i have my V3 2000 at 183 and 185 is stable for hours just not playing lans for 6hrs well take care and enjoy i will post my pics this week so chech out http://home.pacbell.net/sims111 and in the about me sec i will have my oc guide!!! :)

[DTE]ev0