Upgrading my memory

Recently i've been getting a lot of bubble messages saying virtual memory
too small, etc and thinking of upgrading my RAM. Trouble is i haven't a clue
what type of memory i need and need to know that before buying the memory.

Which then begs the second question:

Which of all these types of RAM do i buy?

Whats all this MHz business with RAM, and what is the diff between PC3200
and PC 2700. Is it simpler than it looks because it makes it so confusing
with all of these differences.

Please help
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrading memory

    The type of memory you need is dependant upon they type of motherboard you
    have, as different motherboards have different kinds of slots and specs for
    the memory they will accept. Step one in upgrading physical memory is
    finding out what kind of motherboard you ahve.

    Virtual memory is different. It is a cache created on your hard drive to
    store data in memory to disk, to allow other data to load into RAM. There
    is an article here on how you can increase the size of your virtual
    memory.....

    http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=25448&rl=1

    "Andy H" <AndyH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Recently i've been getting a lot of bubble messages saying virtual memory
    > too small, etc and thinking of upgrading my RAM. Trouble is i haven't a
    > clue
    > what type of memory i need and need to know that before buying the memory.
    >
    > Which then begs the second question:
    >
    > Which of all these types of RAM do i buy?
    >
    > Whats all this MHz business with RAM, and what is the diff between PC3200
    > and PC 2700. Is it simpler than it looks because it makes it so confusing
    > with all of these differences.
    >
    > Please help

    Before you think of adding more RAM:

    1. Be 100% sure your computer is 100% free of viruses and spyware, both of
    which can consume vast amounts of memory; and
    2. Consider reducing the number of programs that start with Windows.

    Choosing the correct RAM is surprisingly easy. Forget all the fancy
    statistics (unless you're interested in that sort of thing) and go to the
    websites of any of the major RAM suppliers (Crucial, Kingston, Corsair,
    Viking, etc.) which have simple RAM selectors. Just select the exact make
    and model number of your computer, and the selector tells you exactly what
    you need. For best performance with Windows XP, most computers need at least
    512MB of RAM.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "Andy H" <AndyH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Recently i've been getting a lot of bubble messages saying virtual memory
    > too small, etc and thinking of upgrading my RAM. Trouble is i haven't a
    clue
    > what type of memory i need and need to know that before buying the memory.
    >
    > Which then begs the second question:
    >
    > Which of all these types of RAM do i buy?
    >
    > Whats all this MHz business with RAM, and what is the diff between PC3200
    > and PC 2700. Is it simpler than it looks because it makes it so confusing
    > with all of these differences.
    >
    > Please help

    "Andy H" <AndyH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Recently i've been getting a lot of bubble messages saying virtual memory
    > too small, etc and thinking of upgrading my RAM. Trouble is i haven't a
    > clue
    > what type of memory i need and need to know that before buying the memory.

    The message has nothing to do with the amount of RAM that your computer has.
    Instead, it usually means that the pagefile is too small. You should let
    Windows manage the pagefile size.
    Jim

RAM Memory Windows XP