EQ2: Difference between a summoner and enchanter

Last response: in Video Games
January 26, 2005 8:57:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

After a successful night adventuring (not) my main char in now in shard
hell so I thought I would be a perfect time to play my other neglected
chars. Namely my gnome mage whose been stuck on newbie island for the
last 2 months. Question is I don't know what subclass to make her, my
main a Wizard so that's out.

I quite like the thought of a summoner. You can blame FF for the
summoner liking but it strikes me as the best soloable mage class,
since your pet can tank for you. Is this thinking a reality? Strikes me
as being worse in groups then a wizard though, as their pet never seems
to come into play and their attacks are less then a straight caster
class.

Enchanters are an unknown to me. They seem rather overlooked on my
server, a plus as I like a unique looking char. The few experiences I
have of them are quite positive. Longer-term EQ players like the mezes
and the wards they have. Many times when I've been the one
recruiting, people have wanted an enchanter over a summoner. No idea
how they solo though.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 9:14:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

Forget soloability, even killing orange mobs almost non-stop the exp
doesn't even come close to fighting in a group.
On the other hand, because of the way EQ2 has things, forget the
enchanter "functionality" from old EQ. When a puller selects a target
it will show exactly what and how many mobs will come, as opposed to
EQ1 where you never knew, and thus, you wanted to have an enchanter for
the tough fights. I've played both enchanter and magician in EQ2
(coercer and conjuror). Personally I like the conjuror better.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 10:27:17 AM

wolfing wrote:
> On the other hand, because of the way EQ2 has things, forget the
> enchanter "functionality" from old EQ. When a puller selects a
target
> it will show exactly what and how many mobs will come, as opposed to
> EQ1 where you never knew, and thus, you wanted to have an enchanter
for
> the tough fights. I've played both enchanter and magician in EQ2
> (coercer and conjuror). Personally I like the conjuror better.

Mezzing is great. When you pull a group of six, or the puller grabs
some adds on their way back, the mezzer could save the group. Refresh
(breeze upgrade) can keep the group's spells flying a lot longer than
without it.

It is pretty easy for an enchanter to get into a group that is handling
stuff to hard for them. At that point, mezzes become useless and they
become mana monkeys (tm). If you don't want want to be a buff-bot for
the rest of the group, conjuror might be a better choice.
January 26, 2005 1:40:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

Especially considering that breeze (clarity) buffs in EQ2 last 3
minutes, so be ready to cast it... a lot
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 1:18:50 PM

> @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> > Mezzing is great. When you pull a group of six, or the puller
grabs
> > some adds on their way back, the mezzer could save the group.
Refresh
> > (breeze upgrade) can keep the group's spells flying a lot longer
than
> > without it.
> >
> > It is pretty easy for an enchanter to get into a group that is
handling
> > stuff to hard for them. At that point, mezzes become useless and
they
> > become mana monkeys (tm). If you don't want want to be a buff-bot
for
> > the rest of the group, conjuror might be a better choice.

> I seem to remember reading someplace that an enchanter can only keep
one
> mob mezzed at a time in EQ2. Is that correct?

That is incorrect. They even get an AE mezz (although all of them
break when one breaks). You know the enchanter is working their butt
off when you see line after line of mezz messages in group chat and all
kinds of rainbow swirls are going on.

In general (at least in my normal groups with our coercer), the
enchanter keeps the hardest mob in the group mezzed, and sometimes more
if it is an ugly group. They also work on keeping us refreshed
(upgrade to breeze), and (I believe, could be wrong on this point)
hasted.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 4:31:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

before you get an aoe mez you get the single target mez, and you can
juggle around to have up to 3 mobs mezzed. One good thing is that many
aoe spells and powers only target non-mezzed mobs, but even with this,
people keep breaking mez.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 5:32:22 PM

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.everquest2 (More info?)

I love my summoner, though. I'm nearly a necro, and I love using my spider,
he can really help you when soloing, but when in the big groups, I prefer
high level fighter types and a good healer.

My only complaint would be that the Embrace of Hate, supposedly a ward,
never works for me. I've tried upping my armor too, but my friend I group
with wards me better.

I do like the invisibility option, esp. when gathering in odd places or
circling the druid ring.

Theresa

--
Rowana, lvl 19 summoner in Mistmoore,