System Idle Process

System Idle Process is at top of processes tab in windows task manager. I've
read in an earlier post this causes cpu spikes...should I just highlight it
and click end process?? or is there something else I need to do.
Thanks
--
sue
3 answers Last reply

    Hi

    That process measures the amount of time that the CPU isn't being used. The
    high the %, the better. Please don't try and close down the process.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS MVP Windows Shell/User

    "sue40" <sue40@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > System Idle Process is at top of processes tab in windows task manager.
    > I've
    > read in an earlier post this causes cpu spikes...should I just highlight
    > it
    > and click end process?? or is there something else I need to do.
    > Thanks
    > --
    > sue

    "sue40" <sue40@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > System Idle Process is at top of processes tab in windows task manager.
    > I've
    > read in an earlier post this causes cpu spikes...should I just highlight
    > it
    > and click end process?? or is there something else I need to do.
    > Thanks
    > --
    > sue
    Yes, there certainly is. Just give your computer some real work to do. You
    should understand that time spent by the idle process is time spent when the
    computer has no work to do.
    Jim

    thanks Jim, I understand a bit more now. but my puter sounds like it is
    fixing to take off. every min. or 2 it reves up. my fans are clean. i just
    don't know what the problem is.
    --
    sue

    "Jim" wrote:

    > "sue40" <sue40@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > System Idle Process is at top of processes tab in windows task manager.
    > > I've
    > > read in an earlier post this causes cpu spikes...should I just highlight
    > > it
    > > and click end process?? or is there something else I need to do.
    > > Thanks
    > > --
    > > sue
    > Yes, there certainly is. Just give your computer some real work to do. You
    > should understand that time spent by the idle process is time spent when the
    > computer has no work to do.
    > Jim

Microsoft Task Manager Windows XP