Windows Explorer HUGE performance issues

I'm experiencing HUGE performance problems with my machine! I believe the
problem might be with Windows explorer. When I go into windows explorer it
takes a full minute to open any type of document.

When going into task manager, there's no obvious high CPU or memory being
used. This is not an obvious problem and I have spent DAYS trying to
research the this with no answers. I ran virus scans, defragged, all the
usual stuff that might fix such oddities all to no avail. Now I have several
users encountering the same problem. In a failed attempt to fix my own
machine I ran a utility called lspfix, which totally messed my machine up and
had to format and start over.

This is NOT the solution, I've got to find some answers. Since this is
happening here, I'm sure someone else has encountered this and am hoping
someone has figured out what to do. HELP
11 answers Last reply
More about windows explorer huge performance issues

    "Penny" <Penny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm experiencing HUGE performance problems with my machine! I believe the
    > problem might be with Windows explorer. When I go into windows explorer
    > it
    > takes a full minute to open any type of document.
    >
    > When going into task manager, there's no obvious high CPU or memory being
    > used. This is not an obvious problem and I have spent DAYS trying to
    > research the this with no answers. I ran virus scans, defragged, all the
    > usual stuff that might fix such oddities all to no avail. Now I have
    > several
    > users encountering the same problem. In a failed attempt to fix my own
    > machine I ran a utility called lspfix, which totally messed my machine up
    > and
    > had to format and start over.
    >
    > This is NOT the solution, I've got to find some answers. Since this is
    > happening here, I'm sure someone else has encountered this and am hoping
    > someone has figured out what to do. HELP
    How about giving the system specs? There are lots and lots of reasons for
    performance hits, but without knowing things like amount of ram, size of
    pagefile, size of system disk, type of cpu, specifications of the disks,
    etc., it will be hard to give more than a wild guess.
    Jim

    Pentium 4 2.26G machine with 768mb of RAM. 40 Gig hard drive. Pagefile is
    1.1g.

    This is an XP machine SP2. This is also happening to a machine that's
    identical to mine in specs, except it's a W2K SP4 machine.

    "Jim" wrote:

    > "Penny" <Penny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm experiencing HUGE performance problems with my machine! I believe the
    > > problem might be with Windows explorer. When I go into windows explorer
    > > it
    > > takes a full minute to open any type of document.
    > >
    > > When going into task manager, there's no obvious high CPU or memory being
    > > used. This is not an obvious problem and I have spent DAYS trying to
    > > research the this with no answers. I ran virus scans, defragged, all the
    > > usual stuff that might fix such oddities all to no avail. Now I have
    > > several
    > > users encountering the same problem. In a failed attempt to fix my own
    > > machine I ran a utility called lspfix, which totally messed my machine up
    > > and
    > > had to format and start over.
    > >
    > > This is NOT the solution, I've got to find some answers. Since this is
    > > happening here, I'm sure someone else has encountered this and am hoping
    > > someone has figured out what to do. HELP
    > How about giving the system specs? There are lots and lots of reasons for
    > performance hits, but without knowing things like amount of ram, size of
    > pagefile, size of system disk, type of cpu, specifications of the disks,
    > etc., it will be hard to give more than a wild guess.
    > Jim

    Hi, Penny,
    I am posting the following, with the thought in mind that you might have
    spyware that scans have not found.
    Somehow, somewhere, within the last week, my machine became infected with 3
    spywares and 1 spy cookie. All this occurred in spite of the fact that I run
    with daily updated Norton AntiVirus, ZoneAlarm Pro, Ad-Aware SE Personal,
    SpywareBlaster, PestPatrol, Spy Sweeper, Spyware Doctor and CounterSpy.
    Scans found nothing except CounterSpy, which found IST.IST (Browser
    Hijacker), 007 Keylogger Spy 3.7 (Surveillance), Force 1.59 (Backdoor) and
    Hotbar (Cookie). Ad-Aware found 18 negligible items and nothing else. I
    have Windows XP Home Edition SP2 with all critical updates installed. I have
    been to very few websites - all considered to be safe - and have downloaded
    only one questionable software package, that being, Agent Ransack. I had
    scanned the download with Norton AV, but I had not installed it. I use IE6,
    which is patched with all available Microsoft patches, and I do not use any
    IM or P2P software. Windows Messenger is held in check with ZoneAlarm Pro
    configuration.

    If my machine could get infected with all this shielding, perhaps your
    machines have spyware that your scans have not detected. I highly recommend
    that you try CounterSpy.
    HTH

    "Penny" wrote:

    > Pentium 4 2.26G machine with 768mb of RAM. 40 Gig hard drive. Pagefile is
    > 1.1g.
    >
    > This is an XP machine SP2. This is also happening to a machine that's
    > identical to mine in specs, except it's a W2K SP4 machine.
    >
    > "Jim" wrote:
    >

    > > "Penny" <Penny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I'm experiencing HUGE performance problems with my machine! I believe the
    > > > problem might be with Windows explorer. When I go into windows explorer
    > > > it
    > > > takes a full minute to open any type of document.
    > > >
    > > > When going into task manager, there's no obvious high CPU or memory being
    > > > used. This is not an obvious problem and I have spent DAYS trying to
    > > > research the this with no answers. I ran virus scans, defragged, all the
    > > > usual stuff that might fix such oddities all to no avail. Now I have
    > > > several
    > > > users encountering the same problem. In a failed attempt to fix my own
    > > > machine I ran a utility called lspfix, which totally messed my machine up
    > > > and
    > > > had to format and start over.
    > > >
    > > > This is NOT the solution, I've got to find some answers. Since this is
    > > > happening here, I'm sure someone else has encountered this and am hoping
    > > > someone has figured out what to do. HELP
    > > How about giving the system specs? There are lots and lots of reasons for
    > > performance hits, but without knowing things like amount of ram, size of
    > > pagefile, size of system disk, type of cpu, specifications of the disks,
    > > etc., it will be hard to give more than a wild guess.
    > > Jim

    Penny, I read your message with great interest. I had an unexplained
    slow down, which turned out NOT to be spyware....but it took many many
    hours to track down the problem.

    In the process, I discovered the IE browser hijacker problem, which is
    the new frontier in terms of security threats.

    Many advocate dumping IE due to it's susceptibility to browser
    hijacking, a problem that Bill has failed to address, even to this
    day.

    I found a very nice website set up to test susceptibility of your
    browser to intrusion from many different types of attack. I think I
    DIDN'T bookmark it, but it was called 'Jason's Toolbox'.

    My IE passed, but only because of high awareness and custom settings
    with regard to activeX, the tool that enables the most severe type of
    browser security breaches.

    In a nutshell, if you have activeX enabled, your browser can be
    redirected to anywhere...without your knowledge. You think you're on
    the checkout website of amazon.com giving your credit card
    number....and in fact you are on a Siberian located dial up system
    handing out your personal information. You get the idea I'm sure.

    As the final phase of our computer clean up, we are going to dumb down
    IE so severely that it can only get microsoft upgrades...and use
    Firefox browser.

    Regards.

    On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:47:02 -0700, "rosebeauty"
    <rosebeauty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi, Penny,
    >I am posting the following, with the thought in mind that you might have
    >spyware that scans have not found.
    >Somehow, somewhere, within the last week, my machine became infected with 3
    >spywares and 1 spy cookie. All this occurred in spite of the fact that I run
    >with daily updated Norton AntiVirus, ZoneAlarm Pro, Ad-Aware SE Personal,
    >SpywareBlaster, PestPatrol, Spy Sweeper, Spyware Doctor and CounterSpy.
    >Scans found nothing except CounterSpy, which found IST.IST (Browser
    >Hijacker), 007 Keylogger Spy 3.7 (Surveillance), Force 1.59 (Backdoor) and
    >Hotbar (Cookie). Ad-Aware found 18 negligible items and nothing else. I
    >have Windows XP Home Edition SP2 with all critical updates installed. I have
    >been to very few websites - all considered to be safe - and have downloaded
    >only one questionable software package, that being, Agent Ransack. I had
    >scanned the download with Norton AV, but I had not installed it. I use IE6,
    >which is patched with all available Microsoft patches, and I do not use any
    >IM or P2P software. Windows Messenger is held in check with ZoneAlarm Pro
    >configuration.
    >
    >If my machine could get infected with all this shielding, perhaps your
    >machines have spyware that your scans have not detected. I highly recommend
    >that you try CounterSpy.
    >HTH
    >

    >"Penny" wrote:
    >
    >> Pentium 4 2.26G machine with 768mb of RAM. 40 Gig hard drive. Pagefile is
    >> 1.1g.
    >>
    >> This is an XP machine SP2. This is also happening to a machine that's
    >> identical to mine in specs, except it's a W2K SP4 machine.
    >>
    >> "Jim" wrote:
    >>

    >> > "Penny" <Penny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >> > How about giving the system specs? There are lots and lots of reasons for
    >> > performance hits, but without knowing things like amount of ram, size of
    >> > pagefile, size of system disk, type of cpu, specifications of the disks,
    >> > etc., it will be hard to give more than a wild guess.
    >> > Jim

    The problem I'm having is NOT IE it's windows explorer. I have tried
    everybody and their brothers spyware tools, Microsoft's malware remover and
    nothing has helped. It may not be spyware, in honesty I have spent many
    hours on this problem and am at wits end.

    What makes this worse is I opened a problem ticket with Microsoft today, got
    transferred all over the place and got put on hold for over an hour - I'm not
    even sure what the problem is, but if I can get through to someone I want to
    ask if there is a diagnostic tool I can use that will tell me more
    information.

    Does anyone know of such a tool that might give me more information about
    the problem?

    Penny wrote:
    > The problem I'm having is NOT IE it's windows explorer. I have tried
    > everybody and their brothers spyware tools, Microsoft's malware remover and
    > nothing has helped. It may not be spyware, in honesty I have spent many
    > hours on this problem and am at wits end.

    I had a similar problem with a failing drive cable. You could also use
    a program like Everest to make sure that the power supply is not failing
    causing problems with other parts.

> [...]
    >>>Scans found nothing except CounterSpy, which found IST.IST (Browser
    >>>Hijacker), 007 Keylogger Spy 3.7 (Surveillance), Force 1.59 (Backdoor) and
    >>>Hotbar (Cookie). Ad-Aware found 18 negligible items and nothing else. I
    >>>have Windows XP Home Edition SP2 with all critical updates installed. I have
    >>>been to very few websites - all considered to be safe - and have downloaded
    >>>only one questionable software package, that being, Agent Ransack. I had
    >>>scanned the download with Norton AV, but I had not installed it. I use IE6,
    >>>which is patched with all available Microsoft patches, and I do not use any
    >>>IM or P2P software. Windows Messenger is held in check with ZoneAlarm Pro
    >>>configuration.
    >>>
    >>>If my machine could get infected with all this shielding, perhaps your
    >>>machines have spyware that your scans have not detected. I highly recommend

    Have you installed programs from a network location?

    "Penny" <Penny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96556F3F-03D0-47C9-B831-B052EA8F56C7@microsoft.com...
    > I'm experiencing HUGE performance problems with my machine! I believe the
    > problem might be with Windows explorer. When I go into windows explorer it
    > takes a full minute to open any type of document.
    >
    > When going into task manager, there's no obvious high CPU or memory being
    > used. This is not an obvious problem and I have spent DAYS trying to
    > research the this with no answers. I ran virus scans, defragged, all the
    > usual stuff that might fix such oddities all to no avail. Now I have several
    > users encountering the same problem. In a failed attempt to fix my own
    > machine I ran a utility called lspfix, which totally messed my machine up and
    > had to format and start over.
    >
    > This is NOT the solution, I've got to find some answers. Since this is
    > happening here, I'm sure someone else has encountered this and am hoping
    > someone has figured out what to do. HELP

    On this particular machine no, but I have 3 others that I have. Funny you
    should mention that. I'm starting to see a pattern, yet I can't quite get a
    handle on what's going on. It's the newer Pentium 4 machines that are
    experiencing this dilema.

    I have exhausted all the "Normal" approaches, again let me reitterate that
    this is WINDOWS explorer that I'm having the problems with not IE.

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > Have you installed programs from a network location?

    > "Penny" <Penny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96556F3F-03D0-47C9-B831-B052EA8F56C7@microsoft.com...
    > > I'm experiencing HUGE performance problems with my machine! I believe the
    > > problem might be with Windows explorer. When I go into windows explorer it
    > > takes a full minute to open any type of document.
    > >
    > > When going into task manager, there's no obvious high CPU or memory being
    > > used. This is not an obvious problem and I have spent DAYS trying to
    > > research the this with no answers. I ran virus scans, defragged, all the
    > > usual stuff that might fix such oddities all to no avail. Now I have several
    > > users encountering the same problem. In a failed attempt to fix my own
    > > machine I ran a utility called lspfix, which totally messed my machine up and
    > > had to format and start over.
    > >
    > > This is NOT the solution, I've got to find some answers. Since this is
    > > happening here, I'm sure someone else has encountered this and am hoping
    > > someone has figured out what to do. HELP

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    > On this particular machine no, but I have 3 others that I have. Funny you
    > should mention that. I'm starting to see a pattern, yet I can't quite get
    > handle on what's going on. It's the newer Pentium 4 machines that are
    > experiencing this dilema.
    >
    > I have exhausted all the "Normal" approaches, again let me reitterate that
    > this is WINDOWS explorer that I'm having the problems with not IE.

    Go into My Network Places and see what is showing up. Delete any mapped
    drives and shortcuts that are not needed. Do the same thing with printers.
    XP sometimes auto-discovers a lot of this stuff. If there are items that are
    not online it can cause problems with Windows Explorer.

    Kerry
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Use filemon from www.sysinternals.com and see if it is looking for a file on the network/CD/floppy.

    "Penny" <Penny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:26A08505-8B43-4A9D-8033-C4A669387506@microsoft.com...
    > On this particular machine no, but I have 3 others that I have. Funny you
    > should mention that. I'm starting to see a pattern, yet I can't quite get a
    > handle on what's going on. It's the newer Pentium 4 machines that are
    > experiencing this dilema.
    >
    > I have exhausted all the "Normal" approaches, again let me reitterate that
    > this is WINDOWS explorer that I'm having the problems with not IE.
    >

    > "David Candy" wrote:
    >
    >> Have you installed programs from a network location?
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >> "Penny" <Penny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96556F3F-03D0-47C9-B831-B052EA8F56C7@microsoft.com...
    >> > I'm experiencing HUGE performance problems with my machine! I believe the
    >> > problem might be with Windows explorer. When I go into windows explorer it
    >> > takes a full minute to open any type of document.
    >> >
    >> > When going into task manager, there's no obvious high CPU or memory being
    >> > used. This is not an obvious problem and I have spent DAYS trying to
    >> > research the this with no answers. I ran virus scans, defragged, all the
    >> > usual stuff that might fix such oddities all to no avail. Now I have several
    >> > users encountering the same problem. In a failed attempt to fix my own
    >> > machine I ran a utility called lspfix, which totally messed my machine up and
    >> > had to format and start over.
    >> >
    >> > This is NOT the solution, I've got to find some answers. Since this is
    >> > happening here, I'm sure someone else has encountered this and am hoping
    >> > someone has figured out what to do. HELP

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Kerry Brown Wrote:
    > "Penny" Penny@discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
    > On this particular machine no, but I have 3 others that I have. Funny
    > you
    > should mention that. I'm starting to see a pattern, yet I can't quite
    > get
    > handle on what's going on. It's the newer Pentium 4 machines that
    > are
    > experiencing this dilema.
    >
    > I have exhausted all the "Normal" approaches, again let me reitterate
    > that
    > this is WINDOWS explorer that I'm having the problems with not IE.
    >
    > -
    >
    > Go into My Network Places and see what is showing up. Delete any
    > mapped
    > drives and shortcuts that are not needed. Do the same thing with
    > printers.
    > XP sometimes auto-discovers a lot of this stuff. If there are items
    > that are
    > not online it can cause problems with Windows Explorer.
    >
    > Kerry

    Hi there!
    I read ur problem and i sure had a problem resembling urs but it took
    me almost 30 secs to open a folder or file. so here is how i tackled
    it. if u have a firewall installed, try disabling or preventing
    'Windows Explorer' from connecting to the net. I use ZoneAlarm and that
    is how i solved my problem. Hope it solves urs too.

    --
    asim662

Windows Explorer Performance Windows XP