Windows Explorer HUGE performance issues

I'm experiencing HUGE performance problems with my machine! I believe the
problem might be with Windows explorer. When I go into windows explorer it
takes a full minute to open any type of document.

When going into task manager, there's no obvious high CPU or memory being
used. This is not an obvious problem and I have spent DAYS trying to
research the this with no answers. I ran virus scans, defragged, all the
usual stuff that might fix such oddities all to no avail. Now I have several
users encountering the same problem. In a failed attempt to fix my own
machine I ran a utility called lspfix, which totally messed my machine up and
had to format and start over.

This is NOT the solution, I've got to find some answers. Since this is
happening here, I'm sure someone else has encountered this and am hoping
someone has figured out what to do. HELP

Jim

"Penny" <Penny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm experiencing HUGE performance problems with my machine! I believe the
> problem might be with Windows explorer. When I go into windows explorer
> it
> takes a full minute to open any type of document.
>
> When going into task manager, there's no obvious high CPU or memory being
> used. This is not an obvious problem and I have spent DAYS trying to
> research the this with no answers. I ran virus scans, defragged, all the
> usual stuff that might fix such oddities all to no avail. Now I have
> several
> users encountering the same problem. In a failed attempt to fix my own
> machine I ran a utility called lspfix, which totally messed my machine up
> and
> had to format and start over.
>
> This is NOT the solution, I've got to find some answers. Since this is
> happening here, I'm sure someone else has encountered this and am hoping
> someone has figured out what to do. HELP
How about giving the system specs? There are lots and lots of reasons for
performance hits, but without knowing things like amount of ram, size of
pagefile, size of system disk, type of cpu, specifications of the disks,
etc., it will be hard to give more than a wild guess.
Jim

Pentium 4 2.26G machine with 768mb of RAM. 40 Gig hard drive. Pagefile is
1.1g.

This is an XP machine SP2. This is also happening to a machine that's
identical to mine in specs, except it's a W2K SP4 machine.

"Jim" wrote:

> "Penny" <Penny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm experiencing HUGE performance problems with my machine! I believe the
> > problem might be with Windows explorer. When I go into windows explorer
> > it
> > takes a full minute to open any type of document.
> >
> > When going into task manager, there's no obvious high CPU or memory being
> > used. This is not an obvious problem and I have spent DAYS trying to
> > research the this with no answers. I ran virus scans, defragged, all the
> > usual stuff that might fix such oddities all to no avail. Now I have
> > several
> > users encountering the same problem. In a failed attempt to fix my own
> > machine I ran a utility called lspfix, which totally messed my machine up
> > and
> > had to format and start over.
> >
> > This is NOT the solution, I've got to find some answers. Since this is
> > happening here, I'm sure someone else has encountered this and am hoping
> > someone has figured out what to do. HELP
> How about giving the system specs? There are lots and lots of reasons for
> performance hits, but without knowing things like amount of ram, size of
> pagefile, size of system disk, type of cpu, specifications of the disks,
> etc., it will be hard to give more than a wild guess.
> Jim

Hi, Penny,
I am posting the following, with the thought in mind that you might have
spyware that scans have not found.
Somehow, somewhere, within the last week, my machine became infected with 3
spywares and 1 spy cookie. All this occurred in spite of the fact that I run
with daily updated Norton AntiVirus, ZoneAlarm Pro, Ad-Aware SE Personal,
SpywareBlaster, PestPatrol, Spy Sweeper, Spyware Doctor and CounterSpy.
Scans found nothing except CounterSpy, which found IST.IST (Browser
Hijacker), 007 Keylogger Spy 3.7 (Surveillance), Force 1.59 (Backdoor) and
Hotbar (Cookie). Ad-Aware found 18 negligible items and nothing else. I
have Windows XP Home Edition SP2 with all critical updates installed. I have
been to very few websites - all considered to be safe - and have downloaded
only one questionable software package, that being, Agent Ransack. I had
scanned the download with Norton AV, but I had not installed it. I use IE6,
which is patched with all available Microsoft patches, and I do not use any
IM or P2P software. Windows Messenger is held in check with ZoneAlarm Pro
configuration.

If my machine could get infected with all this shielding, perhaps your
machines have spyware that your scans have not detected. I highly recommend
that you try CounterSpy.
HTH

"Penny" wrote:

> Pentium 4 2.26G machine with 768mb of RAM. 40 Gig hard drive. Pagefile is
> 1.1g.
>
> This is an XP machine SP2. This is also happening to a machine that's
> identical to mine in specs, except it's a W2K SP4 machine.
>
> "Jim" wrote:
>

> > "Penny" <Penny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm experiencing HUGE performance problems with my machine! I believe the
> > > problem might be with Windows explorer. When I go into windows explorer
> > > it
> > > takes a full minute to open any type of document.
> > >
> > > When going into task manager, there's no obvious high CPU or memory being
> > > used. This is not an obvious problem and I have spent DAYS trying to
> > > research the this with no answers. I ran virus scans, defragged, all the
> > > usual stuff that might fix such oddities all to no avail. Now I have
> > > several
> > > users encountering the same problem. In a failed attempt to fix my own
> > > machine I ran a utility called lspfix, which totally messed my machine up
> > > and
> > > had to format and start over.
> > >
> > > This is NOT the solution, I've got to find some answers. Since this is
> > > happening here, I'm sure someone else has encountered this and am hoping
> > > someone has figured out what to do. HELP
> > How about giving the system specs? There are lots and lots of reasons for
> > performance hits, but without knowing things like amount of ram, size of
> > pagefile, size of system disk, type of cpu, specifications of the disks,
> > etc., it will be hard to give more than a wild guess.
> > Jim

Penny, I read your message with great interest. I had an unexplained
slow down, which turned out NOT to be spyware....but it took many many
hours to track down the problem.

In the process, I discovered the IE browser hijacker problem, which is
the new frontier in terms of security threats.

Many advocate dumping IE due to it's susceptibility to browser
hijacking, a problem that Bill has failed to address, even to this
day.

I found a very nice website set up to test susceptibility of your
browser to intrusion from many different types of attack. I think I
DIDN'T bookmark it, but it was called 'Jason's Toolbox'.

My IE passed, but only because of high awareness and custom settings
with regard to activeX, the tool that enables the most severe type of
browser security breaches.

In a nutshell, if you have activeX enabled, your browser can be
redirected to anywhere...without your knowledge. You think you're on
the checkout website of amazon.com giving your credit card
number....and in fact you are on a Siberian located dial up system
handing out your personal information. You get the idea I'm sure.

As the final phase of our computer clean up, we are going to dumb down
IE so severely that it can only get microsoft upgrades...and use
Firefox browser.

Regards.

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:47:02 -0700, "rosebeauty"
<rosebeauty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi, Penny,
>I am posting the following, with the thought in mind that you might have
>spyware that scans have not found.
>Somehow, somewhere, within the last week, my machine became infected with 3
>spywares and 1 spy cookie. All this occurred in spite of the fact that I run
>with daily updated Norton AntiVirus, ZoneAlarm Pro, Ad-Aware SE Personal,
>SpywareBlaster, PestPatrol, Spy Sweeper, Spyware Doctor and CounterSpy.
>Scans found nothing except CounterSpy, which found IST.IST (Browser
>Hijacker), 007 Keylogger Spy 3.7 (Surveillance), Force 1.59 (Backdoor) and
>Hotbar (Cookie). Ad-Aware found 18 negligible items and nothing else. I
>have Windows XP Home Edition SP2 with all critical updates installed. I have
>been to very few websites - all considered to be safe - and have downloaded
>only one questionable software package, that being, Agent Ransack. I had
>scanned the download with Norton AV, but I had not installed it. I use IE6,
>which is patched with all available Microsoft patches, and I do not use any
>IM or P2P software. Windows Messenger is held in check with ZoneAlarm Pro
>configuration.
>
>If my machine could get infected with all this shielding, perhaps your
>machines have spyware that your scans have not detected. I highly recommend
>that you try CounterSpy.
>HTH
>

>"Penny" wrote:
>
>> Pentium 4 2.26G machine with 768mb of RAM. 40 Gig hard drive. Pagefile is
>> 1.1g.
>>
>> This is an XP machine SP2. This is also happening to a machine that's
>> identical to mine in specs, except it's a W2K SP4 machine.
>>
>> "Jim" wrote:
>>

>> > "Penny" <Penny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> > How about giving the system specs? There are lots and lots of reasons for
>> > performance hits, but without knowing things like amount of ram, size of
>> > pagefile, size of system disk, type of cpu, specifications of the disks,
>> > etc., it will be hard to give more than a wild guess.
>> > Jim

The problem I'm having is NOT IE it's windows explorer. I have tried
everybody and their brothers spyware tools, Microsoft's malware remover and
nothing has helped. It may not be spyware, in honesty I have spent many
hours on this problem and am at wits end.

What makes this worse is I opened a problem ticket with Microsoft today, got
transferred all over the place and got put on hold for over an hour - I'm not
even sure what the problem is, but if I can get through to someone I want to
ask if there is a diagnostic tool I can use that will tell me more
information.

Does anyone know of such a tool that might give me more information about
the problem?

Penny wrote:
> The problem I'm having is NOT IE it's windows explorer. I have tried
> everybody and their brothers spyware tools, Microsoft's malware remover and
> nothing has helped. It may not be spyware, in honesty I have spent many
> hours on this problem and am at wits end.

I had a similar problem with a failing drive cable. You could also use
a program like Everest to make sure that the power supply is not failing
causing problems with other parts.

> [...]
>>>Scans found nothing except CounterSpy, which found IST.IST (Browser
>>>Hijacker), 007 Keylogger Spy 3.7 (Surveillance), Force 1.59 (Backdoor) and
>>>Hotbar (Cookie). Ad-Aware found 18 negligible items and nothing else. I
>>>have Windows XP Home Edition SP2 with all critical updates installed. I have
>>>been to very few websites - all considered to be safe - and have downloaded
>>>only one questionable software package, that being, Agent Ransack. I had
>>>scanned the download with Norton AV, but I had not installed it. I use IE6,
>>>which is patched with all available Microsoft patches, and I do not use any
>>>IM or P2P software. Windows Messenger is held in check with ZoneAlarm Pro
>>>configuration.
>>>
>>>If my machine could get infected with all this shielding, perhaps your
>>>machines have spyware that your scans have not detected. I highly recommend

Have you installed programs from a network location?

"Penny" <Penny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96556F3F-03D0-47C9-B831-B052EA8F56C7@microsoft.com...
> I'm experiencing HUGE performance problems with my machine! I believe the
> problem might be with Windows explorer. When I go into windows explorer it
> takes a full minute to open any type of document.
>
> When going into task manager, there's no obvious high CPU or memory being
> used. This is not an obvious problem and I have spent DAYS trying to
> research the this with no answers. I ran virus scans, defragged, all the
> usual stuff that might fix such oddities all to no avail. Now I have several
> users encountering the same problem. In a failed attempt to fix my own
> machine I ran a utility called lspfix, which totally messed my machine up and
> had to format and start over.
>
> This is NOT the solution, I've got to find some answers. Since this is
> happening here, I'm sure someone else has encountered this and am hoping
> someone has figured out what to do. HELP

On this particular machine no, but I have 3 others that I have. Funny you
should mention that. I'm starting to see a pattern, yet I can't quite get a
handle on what's going on. It's the newer Pentium 4 machines that are
experiencing this dilema.

I have exhausted all the "Normal" approaches, again let me reitterate that
this is WINDOWS explorer that I'm having the problems with not IE.

> On this particular machine no, but I have 3 others that I have. Funny you
> should mention that. I'm starting to see a pattern, yet I can't quite get
> handle on what's going on. It's the newer Pentium 4 machines that are
> experiencing this dilema.
>
> I have exhausted all the "Normal" approaches, again let me reitterate that
> this is WINDOWS explorer that I'm having the problems with not IE.

Go into My Network Places and see what is showing up. Delete any mapped
drives and shortcuts that are not needed. Do the same thing with printers.
XP sometimes auto-discovers a lot of this stuff. If there are items that are
not online it can cause problems with Windows Explorer.

Kerry

Use filemon from www.sysinternals.com and see if it is looking for a file on the network/CD/floppy.

Kerry Brown Wrote:
> "Penny" Penny@discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
> On this particular machine no, but I have 3 others that I have. Funny
> you
> should mention that. I'm starting to see a pattern, yet I can't quite
> get
> handle on what's going on. It's the newer Pentium 4 machines that
> are
> experiencing this dilema.
>
> I have exhausted all the "Normal" approaches, again let me reitterate
> that
> this is WINDOWS explorer that I'm having the problems with not IE.
>
> -
>
> Go into My Network Places and see what is showing up. Delete any
> mapped
> drives and shortcuts that are not needed. Do the same thing with
> printers.
> XP sometimes auto-discovers a lot of this stuff. If there are items
> that are
> not online it can cause problems with Windows Explorer.
>
> Kerry

Hi there!
I read ur problem and i sure had a problem resembling urs but it took
me almost 30 secs to open a folder or file. so here is how i tackled
it. if u have a firewall installed, try disabling or preventing
'Windows Explorer' from connecting to the net. I use ZoneAlarm and that
is how i solved my problem. Hope it solves urs too.

--
asim662