Need Basic Information

I have been following this newsgroup for some time and find that I have no
idea what anyone is talking about! In order for me to get the most out of
this group and use the useful information here can someone recommend a
web-page or someplace that I can learn the basics about wireless technology?
I have an Sony laptop that I use a wireless card, and an HP IPAQ hx4700.
Thanks!
Bill

> I have been following this newsgroup for some time and find that I have no
> idea what anyone is talking about! In order for me to get the most out of
> this group and use the useful information here can someone recommend a
> web-page or someplace that I can learn the basics about wireless technology?

http://www.google.com :)

keywords such as "wireless networking", will work, you might also want
to throw in "tutorial".

I'm not wishing to appear frivolous but there's tons, literally tons of
pages out there and different people have different ways of absorbing
information. Google is your friend here.

Perhaps if you wished to ask some more specific or basic questions
people could help. It's a little vague to say you've followed the group
but have no idea. What did you want to learn exactly?

David.

On 3-Sep-2005, "Dr. William R. Boone" <tamatora@swbell.net> wrote:

> I have been following this newsgroup for some time and find that I have no
>
> idea what anyone is talking about! In order for me to get the most out of
> this group and use the useful information here can someone recommend a
> web-page or someplace that I can learn the basics about wireless
> technology?
> I have an Sony laptop that I use a wireless card, and an HP IPAQ hx4700.
> Thanks!
> Bill

Beginner's Guide to Home Wireless Networking

Wireless Networking Q&A
http://www.vicomsoft.com/knowledge/reference/wireless1.html

How Home Networking Works
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm

I hope this helps. Take care.

--
Just Me, D

David Taylor wrote:

>> I have been following this newsgroup for some time and find that I have
>> no idea what anyone is talking about! In order for me to get the most out
>> of this group and use the useful information here can someone recommend a
>> web-page or someplace that I can learn the basics about wireless
>> technology?
>
> http://www.google.com :)
>
> keywords such as "wireless networking", will work, you might also want
> to throw in "tutorial".
>
> I'm not wishing to appear frivolous but there's tons, literally tons of
> pages out there and different people have different ways of absorbing
> information. Google is your friend here.

The problem is that there's tons (I'm not sure you _can_ have "literally
tons" of web pages, David - what does a web page weigh?) of pages out
there. Google is _not_ your friend unless you know how to be a little more
discriminating than "wireless networking". I spent a whole lot of time
googling before I thought to try this newsgroup - which has been more help
than practically anything else I read on the net, even with a pretty good
background in networks. I still found the lingo pretty intimidating.
--
derek

> The problem is that there's tons (I'm not sure you _can_ have "literally
> tons" of web pages, David - what does a web page weigh?) of pages out

Google "how much does a web page weigh" ;)

> there. Google is _not_ your friend unless you know how to be a little more
> discriminating than "wireless networking". I spent a whole lot of time

I understand where you're coming from but once you get the idea of
Google <keywords> things should pretty much flow and the whole point of
hyperlinks lets people follow them on a journey of discovery.

Imagine how much the internet would weigh if it wasn't filled up with
the same questions and answers over and over again. We'd be able to
turn off millions of discs saving loads of energy etc.

Well if we are constantly told to turn off TVs that are on standby, same
principle applies.

:)

David.

DS

Derek Broughton wrote:
> David Taylor wrote:
>

>>>I have been following this newsgroup for some time and find that I have
>>>no idea what anyone is talking about! In order for me to get the most out
>>>of this group and use the useful information here can someone recommend a
>>>web-page or someplace that I can learn the basics about wireless
>>>technology?
>>
>>http://www.google.com :)
>>
>>keywords such as "wireless networking", will work, you might also want
>>to throw in "tutorial".
>>
>>I'm not wishing to appear frivolous but there's tons, literally tons of
>>pages out there and different people have different ways of absorbing
>>information. Google is your friend here.
>

> The problem is that there's tons (I'm not sure you _can_ have "literally
> tons" of web pages, David - what does a web page weigh?) of pages out
> there. Google is _not_ your friend unless you know how to be a little more
> discriminating than "wireless networking". I spent a whole lot of time
> googling before I thought to try this newsgroup - which has been more help
> than practically anything else I read on the net, even with a pretty good
> background in networks. I still found the lingo pretty intimidating.

There is not an easy way to learn it.
I worked for a wireless ISP for 3+years and still learning.
Stuff just keeps changing.
Good luck and don't burn your eyes reading all that is out there like I do.