Overclocked CUBX

TBone

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have an ASUS CUBX-E(440BX) mobo with a 933 Coppermine and 512mb of Micron ram. I have my FSB at 150Mhz(the PIII runs at 1051Mhz). When I cold boot, only 128mb of ram is recognized, but when I immediately reboot, all 512mb is recognized. At that point the computer is rock solid. I have an ASUS 7700 Deluxe video card, and this happens even with all PCI devices removed. Any advice?

G

That is odd, however I have had a similar experience with a PIII 533 on an Abit BX-6. When i first tried to boot up at 133Mhz fsb (I have 128 megs pc133 Sdram, Tnt2Ultra), It wouldn't even post. After much frustration, I accidentally hit the reset switch on my computer only to find that it then worked perfectly! I never really understood it, just know it worked ;o)

TBone

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Problem solved! After trying almost every possible conbination of "SDRAM Configuration" settings in my BIOS, out of desperation I moved the ram stick that was in DIMM slot 1 to DIMM slot 3(I have two, 256mb sticks).With slots 1&4 empty and 2&3 occupied, it boots up with all memory, every time.

G

I have a CUBX and can't get it to work at all with a 933 unless I run at 66 FSB. Last time I tried it corrupted data on the HDD and I had to reformat, losing all data. Also can't o/c my celeron 566 to 850 anymore after installing a new hard drive, was rock solid stable before. Would a new psu (currently 250W) or changing the I/O voltage jumper from default 3.45V to 3.6V help?

TBone

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When trying to remedy my original post, I did try bumping up my memory voltage, but it seemed to have no result. A bigger power supply would definetly be a good idea(my computer actually did become more stable after I installed a 300 watt power supply), but a weak power supply doesn't sound like it would cause that problem. Remember, though, if you are going to be overclocking at the front bus, you have to have good memory.

G

Are you sure you have the pci divider set to 1/4? It sounds like your pci slots are running to fast> The only real problems i ever have had with OCin are when i ran my ide speeds out of spec but with the divider set right you shouldnt have any trouble with the 133 to 145 fsb which will rune the pci / ide clock at about 33 to 36. For me dont have trouble untill i get over 40 on it.

G

I put in a 300W psu, no change. Locks up right after Windows loads. Also no change with I/O voltage to 3.6. The PCI bus runs at 33.4 Mhz at 100 FSB, same as when at 66. I'm using 2 sticks of PC133 Mushkin 128 Mb RAM. Had been stable at 1.7 volts with old HDD, tried up to 1.75V but it made no difference. Anyone have any other ideas? I really miss running at 850 Mhz.
The new HDD is a WD 205BA ATA66, old one was a WD 6.4 Gb. I love the speed of the new HDD but hate the fact I can't O/C the Celeron anymore.

Aurum

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I also have a CUBX MB, a P3-700@933 riding 1.65 Vcore with a Swiftech HSF/Peltier device, Leadtek Geforce 2 32MB GTS, 40&20 gig Maxtor diamondmax plus HDs, 128 MB of Muskin rev. 2 PC133 RAM, X-gamer SC. The cpu temp is below zero at idle and 15-20 deg. C under max. load, but the MB will not read the temp if it is below zero. I have tried to oc to 150 MHz speed and it will work if I set the Vcore to 1.85 V. The problem is that it will spontaneously reboot after an hour or so. How did you make your system stable when the AGP bus is OC to 100 MHz?

I think, therefore I am. -Descartes

TBone

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nice system.I have an ASUS 7700 Deluxe video card, and have used both the Detonator 3, and the ASUS drivers; in both my CUBX and my CUBX-E mobo's without any such shutdowns. I don't think the problem is in your AGP bus, but I have no idea what it might be. I run my VCore at 1.85, and have a standard PIII fan. My CPU temp runs about 115, and I have noticed my SDRAM gets fairly warm. How is your SDRAM configured in the BIOS?
--TBone