When running a program (such as a game) on my laptop(Compaq Presario R3000),
it has been recently shutting off completely after 15 minutes to an hour. I
haven't experienced this before, having owned my laptop for over a year now.
Hunted trough troubleshooting guides and computer diagnostics, and still
haven't come to a conclusion on what to do to solve this. Is it a hardware
issue that needs to be repaired, or can I fix it myself?

"Tasnek" <Tasnek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When running a program (such as a game) on my laptop(Compaq Presario
> R3000),
> it has been recently shutting off completely after 15 minutes to an hour.
> haven't experienced this before, having owned my laptop for over a year
> now.
> Hunted trough troubleshooting guides and computer diagnostics, and still
> haven't come to a conclusion on what to do to solve this. Is it a hardware
> issue that needs to be repaired, or can I fix it myself?

Check the event log to see if there's a software reason for the shutdown. If
there isn't, my bet is that it's overheating. It could be a fan gone bad, or
airflow blocked by cat hair, or it could have something with the surface
you're resting the laptop on. I've known people who put a pillow on their
lap, and the laptop on top of that, which just traps all the heat.

adz21c

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004

Tasnek Wrote:
> When running a program (such as a game) on my laptop(Compaq Presario
> R3000),
> it has been recently shutting off completely after 15 minutes to an
> hour. I
> haven't experienced this before, having owned my laptop for over a year
> now.
> Hunted trough troubleshooting guides and computer diagnostics, and
> still
> haven't come to a conclusion on what to do to solve this. Is it a
> hardware
> issue that needs to be repaired, or can I fix it myself?

Hi,
similar thing happens to my cousins laptop and never used to ... they
haven't upgraded or anything. The assumption I have made is that for
some reason these days it's getting to hot. I mean you touch the bottom
of my cousins laptop and it is RED HOT, so I assume it is shutting
itself off for safety reasons (wont even let you start up immediately
after, that's another thing that's brought me to this conclusion).
Maybe this is the case for you?
Is it really hot? can you turn it on again immediately after?

Do you get any prior warning this will happen? (for example you get a
very quick flash of a BSOD ... thats the blue screen with white text if
you don't know)

--
adz21c

(i suppose i should have included these details) overheating was my first
thought, but i can concieve no known changes that would 'cause it to change
so dramatically from never shutting off to shutting off quickly. As far as
airflow goes, the laptop is always resting on a platform that gives it space.
I can hear and feel the fan so I'm pretty sure that this isn't the problem.
And in reference to the event log - not sure where i might find it. and i can
always turn it on immediately after it shuts off. Hope this clarifies some
things.