Sign in with
Your question

Help on installing a game twice

Last response: in Video Games
March 3, 2012 3:39:54 AM

ok i got a copy of fallout 3 and i want to install it twice on one computer. but i dont plan
on playing both at once. just so mods dont interfear with each client. is this possible
without install on a seperate device? i tried running the installer/setup and it prompts to remove game.

More about : installing game

March 3, 2012 12:36:31 PM

you cant easily do it because the game uses registy entries...
you will have to install the game then rename the install folder then use the uninstaller so the computer thinks you have removed the game... it should leave everything behind apart from the reg entries...
as you renamed it you should now be able to run the installer again and this time just run it as normal...

to be honest its a waste of time though. the game comes with a module adder so you can add or remove mods as and when you need em. and you can store outside the game folder till you want to use em...
if you install em and dont want them running then just uncheck em from the menu...
m
l
March 3, 2012 12:37:26 PM

if renaming doesnt work then you can install the game. rename it in the install folder and rename it in registry... then just install another version in a different place...
m
l
March 3, 2012 10:47:56 PM

Install it, then copy all the files to a new folder. Use the mods with one version, and no mods (or different mods) with the other version. I can't think of any Fallout 3 mods that affect the registry; you'll just have to make two shortcuts to the two different versions, then use your mod manager to do the rest. Yes, you will probably need two versions of the mod manager; that may take some doing, depending on how the mod manager works. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

The only problem with this setup is the save games will all go to the same place, so when you load one version, you'll always have to be careful which save game you load.
m
l
!