Gateway boot from cd to reinstall windows xp

I have a Gateway with unlicensed copy of xp I bought for my daughter at
garage sale. It has Windows Xp Pro with sp2.

I bought a retail Dell Windows XP pro w/sp1.

When I try to install Windows XP it says "version installed is later than
version you are trying to install".

Should I uninstall sp2 ? Will this fix the problem or what should I do?

Thanks.
Dwoody49

Sorry, but a Dell Windows XP CD is only meant for a Dell PC.
You need to purchase a conventional Microsoft Windows XP
CD. Your Dell CD will not activate unless it is installed on a
Dell computer.

Examples:

Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151

Microsoft Windows XP Pro with SP2 Upgrade Software
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=37-116-192&DEPA=8

Clean Install Windows XP

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"DWoody49" wrote:

| I have a Gateway with unlicensed copy of xp I bought for my daughter at
| garage sale. It has Windows Xp Pro with sp2.
|
| I bought a retail Dell Windows XP pro w/sp1.
|
| When I try to install Windows XP it says "version installed is later than
| version you are trying to install".
|
| Should I uninstall sp2 ? Will this fix the problem or what should I do?
|
| Thanks.
| Dwoody49

Two wrongs don't make a right.

First, you'll need to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP Pro from a
legitimate retailer. Then, you'll have to perform a repair install using the
new CD and its product key .

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install:

Alternatively, you can save yourself a hundred bucks and buy a "Full
Version" of XP Home. In that case you'll have to perform a clean install
using the new CD and its product key .

Clean Install Windows XP

Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"DWoody49" <DWoody49@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a Gateway with unlicensed copy of xp I bought for my daughter at
> garage sale. It has Windows Xp Pro with sp2.
>
> I bought a retail Dell Windows XP pro w/sp1.
>
> When I try to install Windows XP it says "version installed is later than
> version you are trying to install".
>
> Should I uninstall sp2 ? Will this fix the problem or what should I do?
>
> Thanks.
> Dwoody49

I also thought that an OEM copy of Windows can be legally installed on
another computer, so long as the new computer is from the same OEM. But I
was wrong. From Microsoft's web site:

"Another common misconception is that you can transfer a preinstalled or OEM
copy of Windows from an "old" machine to a new machine. An OEM software
license may not be transferred from and old machine to a new machine—even if
that machine is no longer in use. The OEM license is tied to the machine on
which it was originally installed and can't be transferred to other
machines."

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

> Sorry, but a Dell Windows XP CD is only meant for a Dell PC.
> You need to purchase a conventional Microsoft Windows XP
> CD. Your Dell CD will not activate unless it is installed on a
> Dell computer.
>
> Examples:
>
> Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151
>
> Microsoft Windows XP Pro with SP2 Upgrade Software
> http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=37-116-192&DEPA=8
>
> Clean Install Windows XP
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

-----------------

> "DWoody49" wrote:
>
> | I have a Gateway with unlicensed copy of xp I bought for my daughter at
> | garage sale. It has Windows Xp Pro with sp2.
> |
> | I bought a retail Dell Windows XP pro w/sp1.
> |
> | When I try to install Windows XP it says "version installed is later
than
> | version you are trying to install".
> |
> | Should I uninstall sp2 ? Will this fix the problem or what should I
do?

> | Thanks.
> | Dwoody49

"DWoody49" <DWoody49@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Gateway with unlicensed copy of xp I bought for my daughter at
> garage sale. It has Windows Xp Pro with sp2.
>
> I bought a retail Dell Windows XP pro w/sp1.
>
> When I try to install Windows XP it says "version installed is later than
> version you are trying to install".
>
> Should I uninstall sp2 ? Will this fix the problem or what should I do?
>
> Thanks.
> Dwoody49

Are you sure that's what you bought? There's no such thing as "retail Dell
Windows XP." Retail software comes in a box and comes in full and upgrade
versions.

Dell software is OEM and may not install on any other computer. If it does
manage to install, you're going to have problems activating it. The
licensing for OEM software says that it lives and dies on the original
machine it was installed on, so what you bought isn't very useful.

My suggestion would be to take the software back to wherever you bought it
and get a refund. If they won't do that, you can probably seek legal
recourse, since what they sold you is essentially useless and possibly
illegal.