CU Celeron On Asus P2L97?

G

Anyone out there able to get a coppermine celeron running on an Asus P2L97? How about any Intel LX chipset motherboard? I don't know for sure if Asus has updated the microcode in the newest bios. I have the most current bios version. (Version 1010 Beta 3) The motherboard also supports the required voltage. (Down To 1.8V Core) According to Asus, my board will not 'officially' support any coppermine processor. However, it's not 'officially meant to support a Celeron 500 or 533 either. Any input on failures or successes would be appreciated.

Here's my current setup:

Asus P2L97 Rev 1.05 (RMA Reworked To Support Riva TNT)
Intel Celeron 533Mhz PPGA (Stock Heatsink And Fan)
Generic Slotkey (With voltage Settings And P3 Support)
Azen 32MB PC100 SDRAM (X2)
Maxtor VL17 4.3GB (UDMA With 512KB Cache @ 5400rpm)
IBM DFHS 2.2GB (SCSI With 2MB Cache @ 7200rpm)
IBM DFHS 1.1GB (SCSI With 2MB Cache @ 7200rpm)
Toshiba SD-M1002 DVD
Ricoh MP-6200S CDRW (2X2X8 SCSI With 2MB Buffer)
Epson Plain Ol' Faithfull 1.44MB Floppy
Diamond Viper V550 (Riva TNT 16MB AGP)
Diamond Video Crunch It 1001 (Capture Card)
Diamond Monster Sound M80 (Sound)
Adaptec 2940W (SCSI)
Diamond SupraExpress 336i PNP (Modem)
PE Logic PEL-V1600 (SCSI)
Iomega Zip 100 SCSI (External)
Syquest SparQ 1GB Parallel (External)
Epson Stylus Color 800 (Printer)
Visioneer 6100B (Scanner)
Logitech Cordless Desktop
Labtec LCS-1040 (USB Audio)
Compaq Presario 1725S (Monitor)
Gravis Xterminator
Gravis Firebird 2

The system has been running for 4 months at 600MHz. (8.0X75)
It posts and boots at 666MHz too (8.0X83) but the video capture card and SCSI card are unstable.

I am also thinking of losing the 2940W and the IBM drives.
Will be considering a Promise Ultra66 or Ultra100 moded to a Fasttrack66 or 100 and a couple of striped 15GB to 30GB 7200rpm drives. The Maxtor 4.3GB will probably stay on for backup. I am also thinking of swapping the video capture card for an IBM 10/100 card I have to try and stablize an 83MHz FSB.

Any other suggestions?

Oh, and a Generic 128MB PC100 SDRAM is on the way. (Only $88, gotta love Pricewatch) :)

cpuNoz2

Distinguished
May 4, 2004
?? Dude pc100 ug you can get and USE a couple of sticks of pc 133 cas 2 for that price!! dont buy it !!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've never had any problems with boards like yours working with Coppermines. Of course there are things you need to know:

1.) ALL Coppermines use LOWER core voltage than the 1.80v minimum your board supports. They won't work at stock voltage, the board will refuse to boot. You need to RAISE the detected voltage (VID pins on the CPU) to 1.80v or higher simply to get the system to boot.
2.) I used to recommend various Slot-1 adapters with on-card VID jumpers, but those are hard to find right now. The one remaining on the market is the Upgradeware Slot-T, which supports both Coppermine and Tualatin, but Tualatin will never work right on your board, and the $20 adapter seems a bit expensive just to use a Coppermine. Ebay could be your friend in finding one of the older Coppermine compatable/VID adjustable Slotkets.
3.) Many Asus boards had problems with multipliers higher than 10x in BIOS. Their BX based boards could be fixed using BIOS 1014 beta 003, but I don't know if any fixed BIOS exist for the P2L97. 10x might be your limit, which would be the Celeron 667. Otherwise the fastest Celeron to use a 66MHz bus is the 766.
4.) My experiences with the P2L97 tell me not to even bother with FSB values greater than 75MHz.

If you want, I'll give you a great deal on a BX board that supports core voltages as low as 1.30v and would work with any Celeron/PIII, including Tualtins with a Slot-T adapter, or Coppermines with a Coppermine or Slot-T adapter. I also have Coppermine compatable adapter cards if you need them.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>