Folders and programs take very long time to open in IE (SP2)

From the desktop, opening a folder takes a minute. Launching IE (SP2) takes
a minute. However, running MSN goes quickly, and, doing the same things from
within MSN environment run quickly.

I was unable to generate this question in a reasonable time when launching
the link for this site directly from IE. However, when launching this link
from within the MSN Explorer environment, it went very quickly.

So, what happened to the functionality of my deskop and IE SP2? How can I
fix this?
--
Any day now, any way now, my deskotp folders shall open.

Hi, Robbin, Thanks for your answer. My system is partitioned to two hard
drives. I defragged the C drive which has "NTFS" file system, and is about
182 GB in size. I did not defrag the D drive which has FAT32 and about 87%
utilization of 4.5 GB. (because the system wants 15% free space to do an
effective defrag, and I do not want to mess with the FAT32 recovery stuff).
What's fast: Launching this site from MSN (I have MSN Passport). Launching
this site from the start menu. Opening a link from the start menu, but NOT
opening a folder from the start menu. Opening a folder that is directly
addressed as a "folder" in the MSN Favorites.
What's slow: Launching this site from a desktop shortcut. Opening a
desktop folder. Opening a folder by a shortcut to the folder from within the
MSN Favorites area. (Seems to invoke the Explorer functionaility, which is
not working properly).

"robbin" wrote:

> Hi Slowfolder
>
> Pretty obvious thing, yet have you defragged?

bestali

hi
recently i have to face this damm problem when i try to open any folder it takes alot time n then computer freezes for 30 to 50 second n then it opens ??? y its like that ???
but when i reboot computer in safe mod its working fine i mean folders quickly opened.

plz could u help me to solve this problem
wht's happing wrong
Y its like that ???

thanks in advance

waiting for ur kind reply.

Cino

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I had the same problem on my laptop.
WinXP SP2.

When I try to open a folder , it takes 30-60 seconds to open, when click on shortcut to program - no problem.

I found that if the laptop is connected to network, ( with wireless or with cable ) the problem appear.
As the laptop is not connected to any network, there is no problem..

I resolve the problem by installing the last windows automatic updates.
One of them solve the problem , but I don'y know which exactly.

Cino.