Intel Pentium D 2.8 ghz vs. Core 2 Duo T6600 2.26 Ghz

Aznator

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Good day all. I was planning to upgrade my pentium D to a Core 2 Duo, and was wondering how much improvement it would bring to slightly older games(such as L4D2). Would there be any significant increase in load times/performance, or should I just forget it?

Pentium D is fairly old tech, and moving to a Core 2 Duo will give you much better performance.
And yes, the performance increase would be quite significant.
With games, it relies on the GPU, but the CPU plays a major part too.
A pentium D even at 3.0GHz + wouldn't be able to beat a Core 2 Duo at 2.2 Ghz or so.

mars128

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
I was just at a friends houses talking to him about the same thing >_< Cody?

Anyway, the Core 2 Duo although its has less clock speed is superior in every other way. Pentium Ds lack hyper threading. I myself like to think of them as faux dual-core celerons.

I unfortunately still run one myself. As far as replacing it goes, I found what I'd be spending to upgrade the CPU in my 775 rig, I might as well invest in an AMD APU and I'd be spending about the same price for a way more powerful upgrade.

if your board supports a core 2 duo then its likely to support a c2quad. if so that the best option. anything over a q6600 will bring you up to par with any current build. currently theres q8400's going doe about 110-130 which although not as good as an i5 is still plenty for todays gfx cards...
even though there a little more expensive than the c2d they aint double the price your still gonna pay 70-90 for a decent c2d so the little extra will get a lot more. so it is worth considering.

lakshitharxx

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Core2quad is the best choice for you.. It won't perform like a i5 but going for i series cpu will cost you more.. You have to change your mobo to lga1155, Ram to DDR3, IDE drive if you have etc etc.. So the C2Q seems to be good for your current setup.. C2Quad will give you a significant performance increase.

Laptop or desktop, it's still miles better than a Pentium D.
Butyou do have a point there.
@OP
Are you trying to upgrade your desktop PC with a Pentium D to a laptop with a C2D T6600?

Core2quad is the best choice for you.. It won't perform like a i5 but going for i series cpu will cost you more
Overall, upgrading to a 1155 system would be expensive, but C2Qs cost a bit these days and they're about $150-200, and it's hard to get one too.

Aznator

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Thanks guys. I did make a mistake on the processor being the T6600, but I realized that the money that I would spend for a core 2 duo, I might as well update my entire obsolete dell motherboard. And that would be too much trouble. So I'll just save up for a new computer. The games do run smoothly, but the load times are what kill me.

GlitchySpiritX

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015

He will need to get a new motherboard with a AMD socket
so that brings up the price to the same cost as a Core 2 duo

TRENDING THREADS