Can't stop going forward in some games...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BsmithC

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Sooo, I've had this weird thing going on with my pc lately. I haven't always had this problem, but its really annoying.

Whenever I'm playing a game, I've seen it happen in tf2, GR:AW2, Counter Strike, Battlefield 2 (pretty much every fps game, the only one that it didn't happen for me in was Deus Ex), if I hold down "w" for a while, when I release, my character won't stop. It just keeps going, and eventually stops. This seems to scale with the amount of time I hold it down; if I just press it I don't notice anything, but if I hold it down for a few seconds, the guy just keeps walking, and takes forever to realize I stopped him. I can press "s" to go backwards, but it doesn't always go backwards, sometimes it just stops him. And it always keeps going after I let go of "s."

I'm really confused, and this has cost me a lot of kills. I literally have no idea how to change this, or if I'm missing some setting somewhere or something, but if anyone can help me at all, that would be great.

In case it matters, I'm on a laptop, using an external mouse and the built in keyboard. I've got an i3 (from 2010?) with integrated graphics, and 4gb of ram.

Solution
Sounds like your w key is either sticky or the sensor is not working right. When you are stuck going forward, does pressing the w key fast stop you? If so, it's probably a sensor issue, otherwise the key is just sticking down. I'm not sure what you can do with a laptop when that happens to solve your issue.
Sounds like your w key is either sticky or the sensor is not working right. When you are stuck going forward, does pressing the w key fast stop you? If so, it's probably a sensor issue, otherwise the key is just sticking down. I'm not sure what you can do with a laptop when that happens to solve your issue.

Solution

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
It's the keyboard. I get it sometimes in games with membrane keyboards. If you are stuck going forward (or i usually get it strafing sideways) you need to tap the key thats stuck and it should unstick.

I'm sure its the keyboard as if i use an old mechanical I have it doesnt happen ever.

BsmithC

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012

Okay, hardware is what I had feared. The one thing that keeps me thinking it is not is that when I hold it down hard for half a second causes less "going forward" after I release than holding it down for 1 or 2 seconds, without fail.

I definitely don't have sticky keys enabled, that was the first thing I checked. How might I go about changing the keyboard buffer thingy?

Status
Not open for further replies.