MSI BX Master

G

I need help from fellow BX Master owners. I just got a new PIII700 slot1 cB0 week 35 and I know that it should be able to overclock to 933 easy (haven't confirmed that yet) but for some reason I'm having problems overclocking it to ANYthing above the default speed on my motherboard. I have Infineon PC133 7.5ns 128MB stick which I have personally tested at 133MHz cas2 stable, and a GeForce2 GTS which also can handle the overclocked the AGP bus. I disconnected everything else just to troubleshoot. Basically I get the initial bootup screen that says Award BIOS blah blah blah... and BX Master logo on the top right... it POSTs and shows the speed of the processor and the FSB speed... but then it freezes when it tries to check the memory. The diagnostic LED's are at 1010 from top to bottom which means it's testing base and extended memory. I didn't do that much in the BIOS for I don't know what the best settings are... but for some reason I feel like I'm overlooking something cause the system won't overclock at all. I can get the screen to show the Processor at 1050MHz, but it always freezes at the same spot. It's not a temperature issue cause I'm using the Alpha p3125 heatsink and I've been monitoring the temp... around 28c. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-poch

TBone

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is very similar to the problem I had with my original ASUS CUBX when I tried to clock it to 1050Mhz. On the CUBX you could hit escape during the memory check(before it had a chance to lock up) and it would bypass the check and boot. This may or may not be the same hot key for your mobo. The computer would sometimes clean boot, sometimes not, from there. I also found that(if your BIOS will let you) I get the best stability if my SDRAM Configuration is set on "By SPD". I have since switched to a CUBX-E mobo, which is completely stable, AFTER a restart from a cold boot. See "Overclocked CUBX", below. If you come up with anything, please forward it to me, it's probably related.
TBone

TBone

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
All that assuming that you have turned up your core voltage to at least 1.75v, but remember theres nothing but heartache above 1.9v.
TBone

G

Thanks for the response. Do you know what was wrong with the non-"e" version of your board? I doubt that esc key trick will help me. But I will try it... thanks for the tip. <sigh>... I'm afraid I'll never get this problem solved. My biggest fear is that the chip just won't overclock... it's just too weird to be true... but I just carry bad luck with me I guess. I wouldn't mind getting another board... but the thing is that I KNOW my board can handle it. What to do....?

-poch

TBone

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My CUBX was rock solid at 933Mhz(133Mhz FSB), the reason I got the CUBX-E was it has an onboard Promise ATA 100 controller. When I got it out of the box I noticed it looked quite different from the CUBX. If you have the BIOS settings, you should get that to overclock. Your just gonna have to keep trying different settings.
TBone

G

Thanks TBone. Well I already tried it with the dimm in each of the last three slots... but the first one is blocked by the heatsink. I need to get a hold of a smaller heatsink just to try it out... but I highly doubt it'll work in the first and not the other three. When I oc'd the 450 to 600 in this system I was using two 128MB dimms so I KNOW that it worked with at least one of those other three slots. Besides, the manual said that it didn't matter which order they are inserted. I guess I could try every single variation in the BIOS settings, but that'll take forever and I'll lose motivation cause I don't think the problem is there. :( oh well... thanks man...
-poch

G

Have you tried to boot at 700 then up the bus speed in windows till you hit what becomes unstable. I know with my BX master @133 fsb it can take a long time to post, sometimes minutes even when @ 133 fsb. I found it was easier to boot @ 100 with my 700e then use busracing to up it to 126 or 133. 133 was a lil unstable and needed 1.95 volts to have any stability and that @ 126 1.85 would be completely stable. With my 600e tho it boots fine @ 133 and will run up to 144 with bus racing with default voltage, i guess i have one of the poorer 700s. Hope this helps a lil

G

Hey ChewToy,
What is this busracing program you're talking about? I tried SoftFSB but it crashed the computer everytime I tried to change the fsb to anything. I only tried it twice so maybe I don't have it set up right. Anyway I would like to discuss this further with you since you own this board and probably know more than I do. Could I e-mail you or maybe we can chat sometime so I can ask you more questions. Please e-mail me at pochacco20@hotmail.com
I seriously want to fix this problem I have. Maybe your busracing program is what I need. Thanks.

-poch

G

Bus Racing is the softfsb type program that comes with your bxmster on the cd that is included in the package labled super package

Latest posts