Task Manager in Win XP

At startup in Win XP, how can I get Task Manager to launch automatically, but
minimized, so that the CPU Usage bar graph is in the tray?
Is there a way to do this without getting a Task Manager button on the
Taskbar, so that if I wanted to see the full 4-tabbed window, I would have to
manually launch Task Manager by right-clicking on a blank space on the
Taskbar, the same as I would have to do if Task Manager had not already been
launched?
5 answers Last reply
More about task manager

    Create a short cut to Task Manager...
    Right click the Desktop | Point to New | Click Shortcut |
    Paste this in the location box...

    %windir%\system32\taskmgr.exe

    Click the Next button | Type: Task Manager in
    the name box | Click the Finish button |

    Right click the new Task Manager shortcut on your Desktop |
    Properties | Shortcut tab | Click the V next to Run: | Change to Minimized |
    Click Apply | Click OK |

    Drag or copy the shortcut to...
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    or
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    I do not know of any way to not get the Task Manager button on the Taskbar
    when Task Manager is running.

    Or you can...
    Start | Run | Paste this in the box and click OK |

    %windir%\system32

    Scroll down to and right click taskmgr.exe | Send To |
    Desktop (create shortcut) | Right click the new Task Manager shortcut on

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:2FAE155F-65FA-49F2-8D48-6F2D5D277148@microsoft.com,
    Fred Prindaville <Fred Prindaville@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
    pecked:
    > At startup in Win XP, how can I get Task Manager to launch automatically,
    > but minimized, so that the CPU Usage bar graph is in the tray?
    > Is there a way to do this without getting a Task Manager button on the
    > Taskbar, so that if I wanted to see the full 4-tabbed window, I would
    > have to manually launch Task Manager by right-clicking on a blank space
    > on the Taskbar, the same as I would have to do if Task Manager had not
    > already been launched?

    Thanks, Wes.
    By the way, when I did what you suggested,
    it turned out that launching Task Manager "minimized"
    meant it was not on the Taskbar, but only in the Tray.
    Just exactly what I wanted.
    Thanks again.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Create a short cut to Task Manager...
    > Right click the Desktop | Point to New | Click Shortcut |
    > Paste this in the location box...
    >
    > %windir%\system32\taskmgr.exe
    >
    > Click the Next button | Type: Task Manager in
    > the name box | Click the Finish button |
    >
    > Right click the new Task Manager shortcut on your Desktop |
    > Properties | Shortcut tab | Click the V next to Run: | Change to Minimized |
    > Click Apply | Click OK |
    >
    > Drag or copy the shortcut to...
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    > or
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    >
    > I do not know of any way to not get the Task Manager button on the Taskbar
    > when Task Manager is running.
    >
    > Or you can...
    > Start | Run | Paste this in the box and click OK |
    >
    > %windir%\system32
    >
    > Scroll down to and right click taskmgr.exe | Send To |
    > Desktop (create shortcut) | Right click the new Task Manager shortcut on
    > your Desktop | Properties | Shortcut tab | Click the V next to Run: | Change
    > to Minimized | Click Apply | Click OK |
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:2FAE155F-65FA-49F2-8D48-6F2D5D277148@microsoft.com,
    > Fred Prindaville <Fred Prindaville@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
    > pecked:
    > > At startup in Win XP, how can I get Task Manager to launch automatically,
    > > but minimized, so that the CPU Usage bar graph is in the tray?
    > > Is there a way to do this without getting a Task Manager button on the
    > > Taskbar, so that if I wanted to see the full 4-tabbed window, I would
    > > have to manually launch Task Manager by right-clicking on a blank space
    > > on the Taskbar, the same as I would have to do if Task Manager had not
    > > already been launched?

    Fred,

    Glad to hear it . Keep having fun. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:2E651C68-9FFE-46B1-A64D-EB571D381613@microsoft.com,
    Fred Prindaville <FredPrindaville@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
    pecked:
    > Thanks, Wes.
    > By the way, when I did what you suggested,
    > it turned out that launching Task Manager "minimized"
    > meant it was not on the Taskbar, but only in the Tray.
    > Just exactly what I wanted.
    > Thanks again.
    >

    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Create a short cut to Task Manager...
    >> Right click the Desktop | Point to New | Click Shortcut |
    >> Paste this in the location box...
    >>
    >> %windir%\system32\taskmgr.exe
    >>
    >> Click the Next button | Type: Task Manager in
    >> the name box | Click the Finish button |
    >>
    >> Right click the new Task Manager shortcut on your Desktop |
    >> Properties | Shortcut tab | Click the V next to Run: | Change to
    >> Minimized | Click Apply | Click OK |
    >>
    >> Drag or copy the shortcut to...
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    >> or
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    >>
    >> I do not know of any way to not get the Task Manager button on the
    >> Taskbar when Task Manager is running.
    >>
    >> Or you can...
    >> Start | Run | Paste this in the box and click OK |
    >>
    >> %windir%\system32
    >>
    >> Scroll down to and right click taskmgr.exe | Send To |
    >> Desktop (create shortcut) | Right click the new Task Manager shortcut on
    >> your Desktop | Properties | Shortcut tab | Click the V next to Run: |
    >> Change to Minimized | Click Apply | Click OK |
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:2FAE155F-65FA-49F2-8D48-6F2D5D277148@microsoft.com,
    >> Fred Prindaville <Fred Prindaville@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
    >> pecked:
    >>> At startup in Win XP, how can I get Task Manager to launch
    >>> automatically, but minimized, so that the CPU Usage bar graph is in the
    >>> tray?
    >>> Is there a way to do this without getting a Task Manager button on the
    >>> Taskbar, so that if I wanted to see the full 4-tabbed window, I would
    >>> have to manually launch Task Manager by right-clicking on a blank space
    >>> on the Taskbar, the same as I would have to do if Task Manager had not
    >>> already been launched?

    When I used your fix on another computer, I realized how to control whether a
    Task Manager button is put on the taskbar. The Task Manager Options menu can
    be set to "Hide When Minimized."

    Thanks again.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Fred,
    >
    > Glad to hear it . Keep having fun. :-)
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:2E651C68-9FFE-46B1-A64D-EB571D381613@microsoft.com,
    > Fred Prindaville <FredPrindaville@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
    > pecked:
    > > Thanks, Wes.
    > > By the way, when I did what you suggested,
    > > it turned out that launching Task Manager "minimized"
    > > meant it was not on the Taskbar, but only in the Tray.
    > > Just exactly what I wanted.
    > > Thanks again.
    > >

    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Create a short cut to Task Manager...
    > >> Right click the Desktop | Point to New | Click Shortcut |
    > >> Paste this in the location box...
    > >>
    > >> %windir%\system32\taskmgr.exe
    > >>
    > >> Click the Next button | Type: Task Manager in
    > >> the name box | Click the Finish button |
    > >>
    > >> Right click the new Task Manager shortcut on your Desktop |
    > >> Properties | Shortcut tab | Click the V next to Run: | Change to
    > >> Minimized | Click Apply | Click OK |
    > >>
    > >> Drag or copy the shortcut to...
    > >> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    > >> or
    > >> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    > >>
    > >> I do not know of any way to not get the Task Manager button on the
    > >> Taskbar when Task Manager is running.
    > >>
    > >> Or you can...
    > >> Start | Run | Paste this in the box and click OK |
    > >>
    > >> %windir%\system32
    > >>
    > >> Scroll down to and right click taskmgr.exe | Send To |
    > >> Desktop (create shortcut) | Right click the new Task Manager shortcut on
    > >> your Desktop | Properties | Shortcut tab | Click the V next to Run: |
    > >> Change to Minimized | Click Apply | Click OK |
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >>
    > >> Wes
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> In news:2FAE155F-65FA-49F2-8D48-6F2D5D277148@microsoft.com,
    > >> Fred Prindaville <Fred Prindaville@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
    > >> pecked:

    Good find, Fred.

    Hide When Minimized: No Taskbar button appears for Task Manager, but will
    show in the Notification Area.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes