At startup in Win XP, how can I get Task Manager to launch automatically, but
minimized, so that the CPU Usage bar graph is in the tray?
Is there a way to do this without getting a Task Manager button on the
Taskbar, so that if I wanted to see the full 4-tabbed window, I would have to
manually launch Task Manager by right-clicking on a blank space on the
Taskbar, the same as I would have to do if Task Manager had not already been
launched?

Create a short cut to Task Manager...
Right click the Desktop | Point to New | Click Shortcut |
Paste this in the location box...

%windir%\system32\taskmgr.exe

Click the Next button | Type: Task Manager in
the name box | Click the Finish button |

Right click the new Task Manager shortcut on your Desktop |
Properties | Shortcut tab | Click the V next to Run: | Change to Minimized |
Click Apply | Click OK |

Drag or copy the shortcut to...
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
or
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

I do not know of any way to not get the Task Manager button on the Taskbar
when Task Manager is running.

Or you can...
Start | Run | Paste this in the box and click OK |

%windir%\system32

Scroll down to and right click taskmgr.exe | Send To |
Desktop (create shortcut) | Right click the new Task Manager shortcut on

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:2FAE155F-65FA-49F2-8D48-6F2D5D277148@microsoft.com,
Fred Prindaville <Fred Prindaville@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
pecked:
> At startup in Win XP, how can I get Task Manager to launch automatically,
> but minimized, so that the CPU Usage bar graph is in the tray?
> Is there a way to do this without getting a Task Manager button on the
> Taskbar, so that if I wanted to see the full 4-tabbed window, I would
> have to manually launch Task Manager by right-clicking on a blank space
> on the Taskbar, the same as I would have to do if Task Manager had not
> already been launched?

Thanks, Wes.
By the way, when I did what you suggested,
it turned out that launching Task Manager "minimized"
meant it was not on the Taskbar, but only in the Tray.
Just exactly what I wanted.
Thanks again.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Create a short cut to Task Manager...
> Right click the Desktop | Point to New | Click Shortcut |
> Paste this in the location box...
>
> %windir%\system32\taskmgr.exe
>
> Click the Next button | Type: Task Manager in
> the name box | Click the Finish button |
>
> Right click the new Task Manager shortcut on your Desktop |
> Properties | Shortcut tab | Click the V next to Run: | Change to Minimized |
> Click Apply | Click OK |
>
> Drag or copy the shortcut to...
> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
> or
> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
>
> I do not know of any way to not get the Task Manager button on the Taskbar
> when Task Manager is running.
>
> Or you can...
> Start | Run | Paste this in the box and click OK |
>
> %windir%\system32
>
> Scroll down to and right click taskmgr.exe | Send To |
> Desktop (create shortcut) | Right click the new Task Manager shortcut on
> your Desktop | Properties | Shortcut tab | Click the V next to Run: | Change
> to Minimized | Click Apply | Click OK |
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:2FAE155F-65FA-49F2-8D48-6F2D5D277148@microsoft.com,
> Fred Prindaville <Fred Prindaville@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
> pecked:
> > At startup in Win XP, how can I get Task Manager to launch automatically,
> > but minimized, so that the CPU Usage bar graph is in the tray?
> > Is there a way to do this without getting a Task Manager button on the
> > Taskbar, so that if I wanted to see the full 4-tabbed window, I would
> > have to manually launch Task Manager by right-clicking on a blank space
> > on the Taskbar, the same as I would have to do if Task Manager had not
> > already been launched?

Fred,

Glad to hear it . Keep having fun. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:2E651C68-9FFE-46B1-A64D-EB571D381613@microsoft.com,
Fred Prindaville <FredPrindaville@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
pecked:
> Thanks, Wes.
> By the way, when I did what you suggested,
> it turned out that launching Task Manager "minimized"
> meant it was not on the Taskbar, but only in the Tray.
> Just exactly what I wanted.
> Thanks again.
>

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Create a short cut to Task Manager...
>> Right click the Desktop | Point to New | Click Shortcut |
>> Paste this in the location box...
>>
>> %windir%\system32\taskmgr.exe
>>
>> Click the Next button | Type: Task Manager in
>> the name box | Click the Finish button |
>>
>> Right click the new Task Manager shortcut on your Desktop |
>> Properties | Shortcut tab | Click the V next to Run: | Change to
>> Minimized | Click Apply | Click OK |
>>
>> Drag or copy the shortcut to...
>> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
>> or
>> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
>>
>> I do not know of any way to not get the Task Manager button on the
>> Taskbar when Task Manager is running.
>>
>> Or you can...
>> Start | Run | Paste this in the box and click OK |
>>
>> %windir%\system32
>>
>> Scroll down to and right click taskmgr.exe | Send To |
>> Desktop (create shortcut) | Right click the new Task Manager shortcut on
>> your Desktop | Properties | Shortcut tab | Click the V next to Run: |
>> Change to Minimized | Click Apply | Click OK |
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:2FAE155F-65FA-49F2-8D48-6F2D5D277148@microsoft.com,
>> Fred Prindaville <Fred Prindaville@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
>> pecked:
>>> At startup in Win XP, how can I get Task Manager to launch
>>> automatically, but minimized, so that the CPU Usage bar graph is in the
>>> tray?
>>> Is there a way to do this without getting a Task Manager button on the
>>> Taskbar, so that if I wanted to see the full 4-tabbed window, I would
>>> have to manually launch Task Manager by right-clicking on a blank space
>>> on the Taskbar, the same as I would have to do if Task Manager had not
>>> already been launched?

When I used your fix on another computer, I realized how to control whether a
Task Manager button is put on the taskbar. The Task Manager Options menu can
be set to "Hide When Minimized."

Thanks again.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Fred,
>
> Glad to hear it . Keep having fun. :)
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:2E651C68-9FFE-46B1-A64D-EB571D381613@microsoft.com,
> Fred Prindaville <FredPrindaville@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
> pecked:
> > Thanks, Wes.
> > By the way, when I did what you suggested,
> > it turned out that launching Task Manager "minimized"
> > meant it was not on the Taskbar, but only in the Tray.
> > Just exactly what I wanted.
> > Thanks again.
> >

> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> >> Create a short cut to Task Manager...
> >> Right click the Desktop | Point to New | Click Shortcut |
> >> Paste this in the location box...
> >>
> >> %windir%\system32\taskmgr.exe
> >>
> >> Click the Next button | Type: Task Manager in
> >> the name box | Click the Finish button |
> >>
> >> Right click the new Task Manager shortcut on your Desktop |
> >> Properties | Shortcut tab | Click the V next to Run: | Change to
> >> Minimized | Click Apply | Click OK |
> >>
> >> Drag or copy the shortcut to...
> >> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
> >> or
> >> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
> >>
> >> I do not know of any way to not get the Task Manager button on the
> >> Taskbar when Task Manager is running.
> >>
> >> Or you can...
> >> Start | Run | Paste this in the box and click OK |
> >>
> >> %windir%\system32
> >>
> >> Scroll down to and right click taskmgr.exe | Send To |
> >> Desktop (create shortcut) | Right click the new Task Manager shortcut on
> >> your Desktop | Properties | Shortcut tab | Click the V next to Run: |
> >> Change to Minimized | Click Apply | Click OK |
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >> Wes
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> In news:2FAE155F-65FA-49F2-8D48-6F2D5D277148@microsoft.com,
> >> Fred Prindaville <Fred Prindaville@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
> >> pecked:

Good find, Fred.

Hide When Minimized: No Taskbar button appears for Task Manager, but will
show in the Notification Area.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes