System Restore Failure

Suddenly I find that my “System Restore” fails to do just that. I’m running
Windows XP. When my PC reboots, is simply tells me that the restore could
not be made.

System Restore worked fine till recently, the function has not been
disabled, and I have max 12% memory allocated (18.305 MB).
9 answers Last reply
More about system restore failure

    Hi

    That error message would suggest that one or more of the System Restore
    files have become corrupt. You can try turning SR off/on, although you will
    lose all existing checkpoints:

    Right click on My Computer and select Properties>System Restore. Enable
    'Turn off System Restore on all drives' - then reboot your PC. Go back into
    SR and disable 'Turn off...' and then reboot again. After the second reboot
    you should have one new checkpoint and SR should work properly after that.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Von" <Von@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Suddenly I find that my "System Restore" fails to do just that. I'm
    > running
    > Windows XP. When my PC reboots, is simply tells me that the restore could
    > not be made.
    >
    > System Restore worked fine till recently, the function has not been
    > disabled, and I have max 12% memory allocated (18.305 MB).

    Hi Danny,

    That solved the problem, much appreciated - thanks

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > That error message would suggest that one or more of the System Restore
    > files have become corrupt. You can try turning SR off/on, although you will
    > lose all existing checkpoints:
    >
    > Right click on My Computer and select Properties>System Restore. Enable
    > 'Turn off System Restore on all drives' - then reboot your PC. Go back into
    > SR and disable 'Turn off...' and then reboot again. After the second reboot
    > you should have one new checkpoint and SR should work properly after that.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >
    > "Von" <Von@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Suddenly I find that my "System Restore" fails to do just that. I'm
    > > running
    > > Windows XP. When my PC reboots, is simply tells me that the restore could
    > > not be made.
    > >
    > > System Restore worked fine till recently, the function has not been
    > > disabled, and I have max 12% memory allocated (18.305 MB).

    I have a worse problem than Von's, and cannot apply the solution suggested
    (i.e. disable and re-enable System Restore). It is impossible to access
    System Restore in any way at all because the error message always appears:
    "An exception occurred while trying to run "shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL
    "C:\Windows\System32\sysdm.cpl",System". (All other parts of Control Panel
    work fine, it's just this bit.) The error generated does not find a
    response from the automated Microsft site, and I can find no help elsewhere.
    I have tried running "sfc / scannow", but it tells me to insert the Windows
    Professional Service Pack 2 CD to copy two necessary files. I have tried
    two different versions of this disk, but am just told that it is the "wrong
    disk". I have a pre-installed Windows XP Home and no installation disks
    (never again!), so can anybody suggest a solution, please? If anybody knows
    the files that must be corrupt I could copy them from another PC, for
    example, but any ideas to get System Restore working again will be most
    welcome.

    "Von" wrote:

    > Hi Danny,
    >
    > That solved the problem, much appreciated - thanks
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > That error message would suggest that one or more of the System Restore
    > > files have become corrupt. You can try turning SR off/on, although you will
    > > lose all existing checkpoints:
    > >
    > > Right click on My Computer and select Properties>System Restore. Enable
    > > 'Turn off System Restore on all drives' - then reboot your PC. Go back into
    > > SR and disable 'Turn off...' and then reboot again. After the second reboot
    > > you should have one new checkpoint and SR should work properly after that.
    > >
    > > --
    > >

    > > Will Denny
    > > MS MVP Windows Shell/User
    > > Please reply to the News Groups
    > >
    > > "Von" <Von@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Suddenly I find that my "System Restore" fails to do just that. I'm
    > > > running
    > > > Windows XP. When my PC reboots, is simply tells me that the restore could
    > > > not be made.
    > > >
    > > > System Restore worked fine till recently, the function has not been
    > > > disabled, and I have max 12% memory allocated (18.305 MB).

    Hi Bob,

    Reinstalling System Restore should fix the error.

    How to reinstall System Restore:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#ReinstallSR

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Bob M wrote:
    > I have a worse problem than Von's, and cannot apply the
    > solution suggested (i.e. disable and re-enable System
    > Restore). It is impossible to access System Restore in
    > any way at all because the error message always appears:
    > "An exception occurred while trying to run
    > "shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL
    > "C:\Windows\System32\sysdm.cpl",System". (All other
    > parts of Control Panel work fine, it's just this bit.)
    > The error generated does not find a response from the
    > automated Microsft site, and I can find no help
    > elsewhere. I have tried running "sfc / scannow", but it
    > tells me to insert the Windows Professional Service Pack
    > 2 CD to copy two necessary files. I have tried two
    > different versions of this disk, but am just told that it
    > is the "wrong disk". I have a pre-installed Windows XP
    > Home and no installation disks (never again!), so can
    > anybody suggest a solution, please? If anybody knows
    > the files that must be corrupt I could copy them from
    > another PC, for example, but any ideas to get System
    > Restore working again will be most welcome.

    > "Von" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Danny,
    >>
    >> That solved the problem, much appreciated - thanks
    >>
    >> "Will Denny" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> That error message would suggest that one or more of
    >>> the System Restore files have become corrupt. You can
    >>> try turning SR off/on, although you will lose all
    >>> existing checkpoints:
    >>>
    >>> Right click on My Computer and select Properties>System
    >>> Restore. Enable 'Turn off System Restore on all
    >>> drives' - then reboot your PC. Go back into SR and
    >>> disable 'Turn off...' and then reboot again. After the
    >>> second reboot you should have one new checkpoint and SR
    >>> should work properly after that.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>

    >>> Will Denny
    >>> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>>
    >>> "Von" <Von@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    The address below is a treasure trove of help on System Restore, and I cannot
    praise Bert (and Will Denney, who also helped - see next post) enough.
    The site has gone straight into my Favourites! My problem is solved after
    months of frustration, and I am enormously grateful to both experts.

    You're welcome Bob. Glad to be of help.

    --

    Bob M wrote:
    > The address below is a treasure trove of help on System
    > Restore, and I cannot praise Bert (and Will Denney, who
    > also helped - see next post) enough.
    > The site has gone straight into my Favourites! My
    > problem is solved after months of frustration, and I am
    > enormously grateful to both experts.
    >

    > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Bob,
    >>
    >> Reinstalling System Restore should fix the error.
    >>
    >> How to reinstall System Restore:
    >> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#ReinstallSR
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://bertk.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Bob M wrote:
    >>> I have a worse problem than Von's, and cannot apply the
    >>> solution suggested (i.e. disable and re-enable System
    >>> Restore). It is impossible to access System Restore in
    >>> any way at all because the error message always appears:
    >>> "An exception occurred while trying to run
    >>> "shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL
    >>> "C:\Windows\System32\sysdm.cpl",System". (All other
    >>> parts of Control Panel work fine, it's just this bit.)
    >>> The error generated does not find a response from the
    >>> automated Microsft site, and I can find no help
    >>> elsewhere. I have tried running "sfc / scannow", but it
    >>> tells me to insert the Windows Professional Service Pack
    >>> 2 CD to copy two necessary files. I have tried two
    >>> different versions of this disk, but am just told that
    >>> it is the "wrong disk". I have a pre-installed
    >>> Windows XP Home and no installation disks (never
    >>> again!), so can anybody suggest a solution, please?
    >>> If anybody knows the files that must be corrupt I could
    >>> copy them from another PC, for example, but any ideas
    >>> to get System Restore working again will be most
    >>> welcome.

    You're welcome. Glad your problem is solved.

    --

    "Bob M" <BobM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a worse problem than Von's, and cannot apply the solution suggested
    > (i.e. disable and re-enable System Restore). It is impossible to access
    > System Restore in any way at all because the error message always appears:
    > "An exception occurred while trying to run "shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL
    > "C:\Windows\System32\sysdm.cpl",System". (All other parts of Control
    > Panel
    > work fine, it's just this bit.) The error generated does not find a
    > response from the automated Microsft site, and I can find no help
    > elsewhere.
    > I have tried running "sfc / scannow", but it tells me to insert the
    > Windows
    > Professional Service Pack 2 CD to copy two necessary files. I have tried
    > two different versions of this disk, but am just told that it is the
    > "wrong
    > disk". I have a pre-installed Windows XP Home and no installation disks
    > (never again!), so can anybody suggest a solution, please? If anybody
    > knows
    > the files that must be corrupt I could copy them from another PC, for
    > example, but any ideas to get System Restore working again will be most
    > welcome.

    > "Von" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Danny,
    >>
    >> That solved the problem, much appreciated - thanks
    >>
    >> "Will Denny" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi
    >> >
    >> > That error message would suggest that one or more of the System Restore
    >> > files have become corrupt. You can try turning SR off/on, although you
    >> > will
    >> > lose all existing checkpoints:
    >> >
    >> > Right click on My Computer and select Properties>System Restore.
    >> > Enable
    >> > 'Turn off System Restore on all drives' - then reboot your PC. Go back
    >> > into
    >> > SR and disable 'Turn off...' and then reboot again. After the second
    >> > reboot
    >> > you should have one new checkpoint and SR should work properly after
    >> > that.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> >

    >> > Will Denny
    >> > MS MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> > Please reply to the News Groups
    >> >
    >> > "Von" <Von@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Will was kind enough to send me a message direct which gave more help about
    reinstalling System Restore, which can be done from scratch via the
    Windows\inf folder. Find sr.inf, right click and select Install. If, like
    mine, your PC is Packard Bell with no Windows disks, you can find the
    reinstall files in one of the i386 folders called Driver Cache. If you need
    filelist.xml as well, it's in windows\system32\Restore. All thanks to Bert
    Kinney and Will Denny who helped me solve this very recalcitrant problem -
    I am most grateful.

System Restore Microsoft Windows XP