Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

HOW TO DELETE TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 9:02:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I'M OPERATING WITH WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL VERSION 2002 WITH SERVICE PACK 2.
ALSO INSTALLED IS NORTON SYSTEMWORKS.

I AM UNABLE TO DELETE CERTAIN TEMPORARY FILES WHICH ARE INDICATED BY THE
NORTON "ONE BUTTON FIX" AS PROBLEM FILES.
EXAMPLES:TemporaryFile:C:\DOCUME~1\User\Local~1Temp\IMT336.xml
TemporaryFile:C:\WINDOWS\Temp\CS4E82C.temp
ANY INPUT ? IS THERE A WAY TO DO IT SHORT OF WIPING THE DISK ?
andyarch
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 12:12:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Andy

You would do better to remove Norton Systemworks than to wipe your drive..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User


"andyarch" <andyarch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BC490BB1-5CAC-47C2-A52E-46316A4D4915@microsoft.com...
> I'M OPERATING WITH WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL VERSION 2002 WITH SERVICE PACK
> 2.
> ALSO INSTALLED IS NORTON SYSTEMWORKS.
>
> I AM UNABLE TO DELETE CERTAIN TEMPORARY FILES WHICH ARE INDICATED BY THE
> NORTON "ONE BUTTON FIX" AS PROBLEM FILES.
> EXAMPLES:TemporaryFile:C:\DOCUME~1\User\Local~1Temp\IMT336.xml
> TemporaryFile:C:\WINDOWS\Temp\CS4E82C.temp
> ANY INPUT ? IS THERE A WAY TO DO IT SHORT OF WIPING THE DISK ?
> andyarch
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 2:24:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Your Caps Lock key is stuck.

Forget Norton...

To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...

1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | Click OK
Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
if there are a large number of files.
2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
3) Check the box  Delete all offline content {This cleans >>
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
AND
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
and \Content.MSO (Created by an MS Office program)}
4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
temporary internet files
5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
websites have placed on your hard drive.
-----

If you want, try this: Open IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
scroll down to the bottom | check: Empty Temporary Internet Files folder
when browser is closed | click Apply | OK. Entirely up to you, but if you
want to be rid of this, it is done automatically. Deletes the content of
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files but not the Content.IE5 or Content.MSO folders.

Also: Start IE | Tools | Internet Options | General tab | Days to keep
pages in history: 0 | Apply | OK.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:BC490BB1-5CAC-47C2-A52E-46316A4D4915@microsoft.com,
andyarch <andyarch@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I'M OPERATING WITH WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL VERSION 2002 WITH SERVICE PACK
> 2. ALSO INSTALLED IS NORTON SYSTEMWORKS.
>
> I AM UNABLE TO DELETE CERTAIN TEMPORARY FILES WHICH ARE INDICATED BY THE
> NORTON "ONE BUTTON FIX" AS PROBLEM FILES.
> EXAMPLES:TemporaryFile:C:\DOCUME~1\User\Local~1Temp\IMT336.xml
> TemporaryFile:C:\WINDOWS\Temp\CS4E82C.temp
> ANY INPUT ? IS THERE A WAY TO DO IT SHORT OF WIPING THE DISK ?
> andyarch
Related resources
August 28, 2005 12:31:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Get this FREE program CCLEANER : http://www.ccleaner.com/...just set
options to clean on boot ... or you can manually "RUN CLEANER" It's a great
cache clean

"andyarch" <andyarch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BC490BB1-5CAC-47C2-A52E-46316A4D4915@microsoft.com...
> I'M OPERATING WITH WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL VERSION 2002 WITH SERVICE PACK
> 2.
> ALSO INSTALLED IS NORTON SYSTEMWORKS.
>
> I AM UNABLE TO DELETE CERTAIN TEMPORARY FILES WHICH ARE INDICATED BY THE
> NORTON "ONE BUTTON FIX" AS PROBLEM FILES.
> EXAMPLES:TemporaryFile:C:\DOCUME~1\User\Local~1Temp\IMT336.xml
> TemporaryFile:C:\WINDOWS\Temp\CS4E82C.temp
> ANY INPUT ? IS THERE A WAY TO DO IT SHORT OF WIPING THE DISK ?
> andyarch
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 7:40:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

What about ccleaner.com/ ?
--
andyarch


"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Andy
>
> You would do better to remove Norton Systemworks than to wipe your drive..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
>
> "andyarch" <andyarch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:BC490BB1-5CAC-47C2-A52E-46316A4D4915@microsoft.com...
> > I'M OPERATING WITH WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL VERSION 2002 WITH SERVICE PACK
> > 2.
> > ALSO INSTALLED IS NORTON SYSTEMWORKS.
> >
> > I AM UNABLE TO DELETE CERTAIN TEMPORARY FILES WHICH ARE INDICATED BY THE
> > NORTON "ONE BUTTON FIX" AS PROBLEM FILES.
> > EXAMPLES:TemporaryFile:C:\DOCUME~1\User\Local~1Temp\IMT336.xml
> > TemporaryFile:C:\WINDOWS\Temp\CS4E82C.temp
> > ANY INPUT ? IS THERE A WAY TO DO IT SHORT OF WIPING THE DISK ?
> > andyarch
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 8:17:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Thanks Wes, but I've tried your suggestion already. It still didn't delete
103 temp. files.

My ISP is Comcast.net. On their website there is a "One Click Fixes." Under
Computer Performance there is "Clear Temp. Files. This Section clears all
files from Windows Temporary folder."

When I click on it, the Norton ( my son likes it ) Anti-virus alert comes up
and says, "malicious script detected. Recommends "Stop this script" as a
default. Norton resists the other options such as One Time use." This is for
File "iexplore.exe."

I will contact Comcast. Do you have any additional thoughts ? Is there a
reason why I should not want to delete the temp. files ?

Thank you,

Andy

PS. Please excuse the "ALL CAPS" as I have a problem with my left hand. I'm
a lousy typist who finds it easier at times not to hold down the "Shift" key.


--
andyarch


"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Your Caps Lock key is stuck.
>
> Forget Norton...
>
> To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...
>
> 1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | Click OK
> Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
> Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
> Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
> if there are a large number of files.
> 2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
> 3) Check the box  Delete all offline content {This cleans >>
> %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
> AND
> %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
> and \Content.MSO (Created by an MS Office program)}
> 4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
> temporary internet files
> 5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
> websites have placed on your hard drive.
> -----
>
> If you want, try this: Open IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
> scroll down to the bottom | check: Empty Temporary Internet Files folder
> when browser is closed | click Apply | OK. Entirely up to you, but if you
> want to be rid of this, it is done automatically. Deletes the content of
> %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
> Files but not the Content.IE5 or Content.MSO folders.
>
> Also: Start IE | Tools | Internet Options | General tab | Days to keep
> pages in history: 0 | Apply | OK.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:BC490BB1-5CAC-47C2-A52E-46316A4D4915@microsoft.com,
> andyarch <andyarch@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I'M OPERATING WITH WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL VERSION 2002 WITH SERVICE PACK
> > 2. ALSO INSTALLED IS NORTON SYSTEMWORKS.
> >
> > I AM UNABLE TO DELETE CERTAIN TEMPORARY FILES WHICH ARE INDICATED BY THE
> > NORTON "ONE BUTTON FIX" AS PROBLEM FILES.
> > EXAMPLES:TemporaryFile:C:\DOCUME~1\User\Local~1Temp\IMT336.xml
> > TemporaryFile:C:\WINDOWS\Temp\CS4E82C.temp
> > ANY INPUT ? IS THERE A WAY TO DO IT SHORT OF WIPING THE DISK ?
> > andyarch
>
>
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 8:27:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Arthur:

The page didn't come up. Is there any detail or are there any references for
this company ?

Andy
--
andyarch


"Arthur" wrote:

> Get this FREE program CCLEANER : http://www.ccleaner.com/...just set
> options to clean on boot ... or you can manually "RUN CLEANER" It's a great
> cache clean
>
> "andyarch" <andyarch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:BC490BB1-5CAC-47C2-A52E-46316A4D4915@microsoft.com...
> > I'M OPERATING WITH WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL VERSION 2002 WITH SERVICE PACK
> > 2.
> > ALSO INSTALLED IS NORTON SYSTEMWORKS.
> >
> > I AM UNABLE TO DELETE CERTAIN TEMPORARY FILES WHICH ARE INDICATED BY THE
> > NORTON "ONE BUTTON FIX" AS PROBLEM FILES.
> > EXAMPLES:TemporaryFile:C:\DOCUME~1\User\Local~1Temp\IMT336.xml
> > TemporaryFile:C:\WINDOWS\Temp\CS4E82C.temp
> > ANY INPUT ? IS THERE A WAY TO DO IT SHORT OF WIPING THE DISK ?
> > andyarch
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 3:02:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Andy,

Comcast is my ISP also. Tip: Never download and install any software from
an ISP.

Comcast One Click Fixes
http://www.comcastsupport.com/sdcxuser/asp/autosolution...

[[Do you want to install and run "SupportSoft Web Objects - Script
SupportAction" blah, blah.]]

This is some kind of script, I clicked NO. This is from www.support.com and
I think that it probably downloads to %windir%Downloaded Program Files or
C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files

COMPUTER PERFORMANCE
Disk
Clear Temp Files - This solution clears all files from Windows Temporary
folder.
-----

If you mean you still have files left in Temporary Internet Files folders,
than you had IE or OE open when you tried to clean them. Or something had a
file lock on the Temporary Internet Files. See the following for more info.

The option "Empty Temporary Internet Files folders when browser is closed"
does not work ?
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/deltifonexit.htm

Internet Explorer Does not Delete Temporary Internet Files on Close
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=814782

If you mean that you still had temp files left in
%windir%\Temp or C:\WINDOWS\Temp
or
%tmp% or %homepath%\Local Settings\Temp
than something was still using thoes files.
-----

%homepath% is an environment variable that is the path to the user's home
directory.

Typing or pasting %homepath% into the Start | Run box opens to the Documents
and Settings folder on whatever drive it is located on and the logged in
user.

I.e. C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here

I use these when posting because I never know what drive or if it's a
WINDOWS or WINNT folder and %homepath% is easier to type than C:\Documents
and Settings\Your Name Here.

%windir% is an environment variable that is the location of the system
directory.

Typing or pasting %windir% into the Start | Run box opens to the Windows
folder on whatever drive it is located. I.e. C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINNT.

Windows XP can be installed in either WINDOWS or WINNT.


--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:7094F1D7-F745-4E0C-9AAA-13C2F55CE0B3@microsoft.com,
andyarch <andyarch@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks Wes, but I've tried your suggestion already. It still didn't delete
> 103 temp. files.
>
> My ISP is Comcast.net. On their website there is a "One Click Fixes."
> Under Computer Performance there is "Clear Temp. Files. This Section
> clears all files from Windows Temporary folder."
>
> When I click on it, the Norton ( my son likes it ) Anti-virus alert comes
> up and says, "malicious script detected. Recommends "Stop this script" as
> a default. Norton resists the other options such as One Time use." This
> is for File "iexplore.exe."
>
> I will contact Comcast. Do you have any additional thoughts ? Is there a
> reason why I should not want to delete the temp. files ?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Andy
>
> PS. Please excuse the "ALL CAPS" as I have a problem with my left hand.
> I'm a lousy typist who finds it easier at times not to hold down the
> "Shift" key.
>
>
> --
> andyarch
>
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Your Caps Lock key is stuck.
>>
>> Forget Norton...
>>
>> To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...
>>
>> 1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | Click OK
>> Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
>> Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
>> Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed.
>> Especially if there are a large number of files.
>> 2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
>> 3) Check the box  Delete all offline content {This cleans >>
>> %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
>> AND
>> %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
>> and \Content.MSO (Created by an MS Office program)}
>> 4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes
>> the temporary internet files
>> 5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies
>> that websites have placed on your hard drive.
>> -----
>>
>> If you want, try this: Open IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
>> tab | scroll down to the bottom | check: Empty Temporary Internet Files
>> folder when browser is closed | click Apply | OK. Entirely up to you,
>> but if you want to be rid of this, it is done automatically. Deletes the
>> content of %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
>> Files but not the Content.IE5 or Content.MSO folders.
>>
>> Also: Start IE | Tools | Internet Options | General tab | Days to keep
>> pages in history: 0 | Apply | OK.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:BC490BB1-5CAC-47C2-A52E-46316A4D4915@microsoft.com,
>> andyarch <andyarch@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I'M OPERATING WITH WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL VERSION 2002 WITH SERVICE
>>> PACK
>>> 2. ALSO INSTALLED IS NORTON SYSTEMWORKS.
>>>
>>> I AM UNABLE TO DELETE CERTAIN TEMPORARY FILES WHICH ARE INDICATED BY THE
>>> NORTON "ONE BUTTON FIX" AS PROBLEM FILES.
>>> EXAMPLES:TemporaryFile:C:\DOCUME~1\User\Local~1Temp\IMT336.xml
>>> TemporaryFile:C:\WINDOWS\Temp\CS4E82C.temp
>>> ANY INPUT ? IS THERE A WAY TO DO IT SHORT OF WIPING THE DISK ?
>>> andyarch
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 5:26:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

His link was messed up, try this one.

http://www.ccleaner.com

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:3F42B3DC-A72E-434E-A3D5-AB17F20E1BD5@microsoft.com,
andyarch <andyarch@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Arthur:
>
> The page didn't come up. Is there any detail or are there any references
> for this company ?
>
> Andy
> --
> andyarch
>
>
> "Arthur" wrote:
>
>> Get this FREE program CCLEANER : http://www.ccleaner.com/...just set
>> options to clean on boot ... or you can manually "RUN CLEANER" It's a
>> great cache clean
>>
>> "andyarch" <andyarch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:BC490BB1-5CAC-47C2-A52E-46316A4D4915@microsoft.com...
>>> I'M OPERATING WITH WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL VERSION 2002 WITH SERVICE
>>> PACK 2.
>>> ALSO INSTALLED IS NORTON SYSTEMWORKS.
>>>
>>> I AM UNABLE TO DELETE CERTAIN TEMPORARY FILES WHICH ARE INDICATED BY THE
>>> NORTON "ONE BUTTON FIX" AS PROBLEM FILES.
>>> EXAMPLES:TemporaryFile:C:\DOCUME~1\User\Local~1Temp\IMT336.xml
>>> TemporaryFile:C:\WINDOWS\Temp\CS4E82C.temp
>>> ANY INPUT ? IS THERE A WAY TO DO IT SHORT OF WIPING THE DISK ?
>>> andyarch
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 10:57:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Wesley Vogel Wrote:
> His link was messed up, try this one.
>
> http://www.ccleaner.com
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:3F42B3DC-A72E-434E-A3D5-AB17F20E1BD5@microsoft.com,
> andyarch andyarch@discussions.microsoft.com hunted and pecked:-
> Arthur:
>
> The page didn't come up. Is there any detail or are there any
> references
> for this company ?
>
> Andy
> --
> andyarch
>
>
> "Arthur" wrote:
> -
> Get this FREE program CCLEANER : http://www.ccleaner.com/...just set
> options to clean on boot ... or you can manually "RUN CLEANER" It's
> a
> great cache clean
>
> "andyarch" andyarch@discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
> news:BC490BB1-5CAC-47C2-A52E-46316A4D4915@microsoft.com...-
> I'M OPERATING WITH WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL VERSION 2002 WITH SERVICE
> PACK 2.
> ALSO INSTALLED IS NORTON SYSTEMWORKS.
>
> I AM UNABLE TO DELETE CERTAIN TEMPORARY FILES WHICH ARE INDICATED BY
> THE
> NORTON "ONE BUTTON FIX" AS PROBLEM FILES.
> EXAMPLES:TemporaryFile:C:\DOCUME~1\User\Local~1Temp\IMT336.xml
> TemporaryFile:C:\WINDOWS\Temp\CS4E82C.temp
> ANY INPUT ? IS THERE A WAY TO DO IT SHORT OF WIPING THE DISK ?
> andyarch---

Hi

if u want absolutely no traces of any temp files. do this.........

open command prompt from accessories menu. work ur way upto the temp
folder directory from which u wud like to delete all files. nce there,
press Ctrl+Alt+Del and from the processes tab select 'Explorer.exe' and
click on end process. once done, all ur windows will close except the
command prompt. then in the command prompt window type 'Del *.*' and
hit enter. confirm deletion with a 'y'. this will delete all the files
within ur temp directory. when done, press Ctrl+Alt+Del again to bring
up the task manager and click on new task. enter 'explorer' and hit
enter to get back explorer. simple.
Enjoy!!


--
asim662
June 3, 2012 5:13:10 PM

Quote:
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I'M OPERATING WITH WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL VERSION 2002 WITH SERVICE PACK 2.
ALSO INSTALLED IS NORTON SYSTEMWORKS.

I AM UNABLE TO DELETE CERTAIN TEMPORARY FILES WHICH ARE INDICATED BY THE
NORTON "ONE BUTTON FIX" AS PROBLEM FILES.
EXAMPLES:TemporaryFile:C:\DOCUME~1\User\Local~1Temp\IMT336.xml
TemporaryFile:C:\WINDOWS\Temp\CS4E82C.temp
ANY INPUT ? IS THERE A WAY TO DO IT SHORT OF WIPING THE DISK ?
andyarch

Few months ago I came across the same problem and I read an article on http://www.windowsphonesupport.com/ , there they recommended a tiny software called unlocker , you can download it from http://download.cnet.com/Unlocker/3000-2248_4-10493998....
June 3, 2012 8:30:23 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
!