Closed

HOW TO DELETE TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES

I'M OPERATING WITH WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL VERSION 2002 WITH SERVICE PACK 2.
ALSO INSTALLED IS NORTON SYSTEMWORKS.

I AM UNABLE TO DELETE CERTAIN TEMPORARY FILES WHICH ARE INDICATED BY THE
NORTON "ONE BUTTON FIX" AS PROBLEM FILES.
EXAMPLES:TemporaryFile:C:\DOCUME~1\User\Local~1Temp\IMT336.xml
TemporaryFile:C:\WINDOWS\Temp\CS4E82C.temp
ANY INPUT ? IS THERE A WAY TO DO IT SHORT OF WIPING THE DISK ?
andyarch
11 answers Last reply
More about delete temporary internet files

    Andy

    You would do better to remove Norton Systemworks than to wipe your drive..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "andyarch" <andyarch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'M OPERATING WITH WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL VERSION 2002 WITH SERVICE PACK
    > 2.
    > ALSO INSTALLED IS NORTON SYSTEMWORKS.
    >
    > I AM UNABLE TO DELETE CERTAIN TEMPORARY FILES WHICH ARE INDICATED BY THE
    > NORTON "ONE BUTTON FIX" AS PROBLEM FILES.
    > EXAMPLES:TemporaryFile:C:\DOCUME~1\User\Local~1Temp\IMT336.xml
    > TemporaryFile:C:\WINDOWS\Temp\CS4E82C.temp
    > ANY INPUT ? IS THERE A WAY TO DO IT SHORT OF WIPING THE DISK ?
    > andyarch

    Your Caps Lock key is stuck.

    Forget Norton...

    To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...

    1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | Click OK
    Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
    Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
    Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
    if there are a large number of files.
    2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
    3) Check the box  Delete all offline content {This cleans >>
    %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
    AND
    %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
    and \Content.MSO (Created by an MS Office program)}
    4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
    temporary internet files
    5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
    websites have placed on your hard drive.
    -----

    If you want, try this: Open IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
    scroll down to the bottom | check: Empty Temporary Internet Files folder
    when browser is closed | click Apply | OK. Entirely up to you, but if you
    want to be rid of this, it is done automatically. Deletes the content of
    %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files but not the Content.IE5 or Content.MSO folders.

    Also: Start IE | Tools | Internet Options | General tab | Days to keep
    pages in history: 0 | Apply | OK.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:BC490BB1-5CAC-47C2-A52E-46316A4D4915@microsoft.com,
    andyarch <andyarch@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I'M OPERATING WITH WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL VERSION 2002 WITH SERVICE PACK
    > 2. ALSO INSTALLED IS NORTON SYSTEMWORKS.
    >
    > I AM UNABLE TO DELETE CERTAIN TEMPORARY FILES WHICH ARE INDICATED BY THE
    > NORTON "ONE BUTTON FIX" AS PROBLEM FILES.
    > EXAMPLES:TemporaryFile:C:\DOCUME~1\User\Local~1Temp\IMT336.xml
    > TemporaryFile:C:\WINDOWS\Temp\CS4E82C.temp
    > ANY INPUT ? IS THERE A WAY TO DO IT SHORT OF WIPING THE DISK ?
    > andyarch

    Get this FREE program CCLEANER : http://www.ccleaner.com/...just set
    options to clean on boot ... or you can manually "RUN CLEANER" It's a great
    cache clean

    "andyarch" <andyarch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'M OPERATING WITH WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL VERSION 2002 WITH SERVICE PACK
    > 2.
    > ALSO INSTALLED IS NORTON SYSTEMWORKS.
    >
    > I AM UNABLE TO DELETE CERTAIN TEMPORARY FILES WHICH ARE INDICATED BY THE
    > NORTON "ONE BUTTON FIX" AS PROBLEM FILES.
    > EXAMPLES:TemporaryFile:C:\DOCUME~1\User\Local~1Temp\IMT336.xml
    > TemporaryFile:C:\WINDOWS\Temp\CS4E82C.temp
    > ANY INPUT ? IS THERE A WAY TO DO IT SHORT OF WIPING THE DISK ?
    > andyarch

    What about ccleaner.com/ ?
    --
    andyarch

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Andy
    >
    > You would do better to remove Norton Systemworks than to wipe your drive..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >

    > "andyarch" <andyarch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'M OPERATING WITH WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL VERSION 2002 WITH SERVICE PACK
    > > 2.
    > > ALSO INSTALLED IS NORTON SYSTEMWORKS.
    > >
    > > I AM UNABLE TO DELETE CERTAIN TEMPORARY FILES WHICH ARE INDICATED BY THE
    > > NORTON "ONE BUTTON FIX" AS PROBLEM FILES.
    > > EXAMPLES:TemporaryFile:C:\DOCUME~1\User\Local~1Temp\IMT336.xml
    > > TemporaryFile:C:\WINDOWS\Temp\CS4E82C.temp
    > > ANY INPUT ? IS THERE A WAY TO DO IT SHORT OF WIPING THE DISK ?
    > > andyarch

    Thanks Wes, but I've tried your suggestion already. It still didn't delete
    103 temp. files.

    My ISP is Comcast.net. On their website there is a "One Click Fixes." Under
    Computer Performance there is "Clear Temp. Files. This Section clears all
    files from Windows Temporary folder."

    When I click on it, the Norton ( my son likes it ) Anti-virus alert comes up
    and says, "malicious script detected. Recommends "Stop this script" as a
    default. Norton resists the other options such as One Time use." This is for
    File "iexplore.exe."

    I will contact Comcast. Do you have any additional thoughts ? Is there a
    reason why I should not want to delete the temp. files ?

    Thank you,

    Andy

    PS. Please excuse the "ALL CAPS" as I have a problem with my left hand. I'm
    a lousy typist who finds it easier at times not to hold down the "Shift" key.

    --
    andyarch

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Your Caps Lock key is stuck.
    >
    > Forget Norton...
    >
    > To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...
    >
    > 1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | Click OK
    > Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
    > Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
    > Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
    > if there are a large number of files.
    > 2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
    > 3) Check the box  Delete all offline content {This cleans >>
    > %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
    > AND
    > %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
    > and \Content.MSO (Created by an MS Office program)}
    > 4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
    > temporary internet files
    > 5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
    > websites have placed on your hard drive.
    > -----
    >
    > If you want, try this: Open IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
    > scroll down to the bottom | check: Empty Temporary Internet Files folder
    > when browser is closed | click Apply | OK. Entirely up to you, but if you
    > want to be rid of this, it is done automatically. Deletes the content of
    > %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    > Files but not the Content.IE5 or Content.MSO folders.
    >
    > Also: Start IE | Tools | Internet Options | General tab | Days to keep
    > pages in history: 0 | Apply | OK.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:BC490BB1-5CAC-47C2-A52E-46316A4D4915@microsoft.com,
    > andyarch <andyarch@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > I'M OPERATING WITH WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL VERSION 2002 WITH SERVICE PACK
    > > 2. ALSO INSTALLED IS NORTON SYSTEMWORKS.
    > >
    > > I AM UNABLE TO DELETE CERTAIN TEMPORARY FILES WHICH ARE INDICATED BY THE
    > > NORTON "ONE BUTTON FIX" AS PROBLEM FILES.
    > > EXAMPLES:TemporaryFile:C:\DOCUME~1\User\Local~1Temp\IMT336.xml
    > > TemporaryFile:C:\WINDOWS\Temp\CS4E82C.temp
    > > ANY INPUT ? IS THERE A WAY TO DO IT SHORT OF WIPING THE DISK ?
    > > andyarch

    Arthur:

    The page didn't come up. Is there any detail or are there any references for
    this company ?

    Andy
    --
    andyarch

    "Arthur" wrote:

    > Get this FREE program CCLEANER : http://www.ccleaner.com/...just set
    > options to clean on boot ... or you can manually "RUN CLEANER" It's a great
    > cache clean
    >
    > "andyarch" <andyarch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'M OPERATING WITH WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL VERSION 2002 WITH SERVICE PACK
    > > 2.
    > > ALSO INSTALLED IS NORTON SYSTEMWORKS.
    > >
    > > I AM UNABLE TO DELETE CERTAIN TEMPORARY FILES WHICH ARE INDICATED BY THE
    > > NORTON "ONE BUTTON FIX" AS PROBLEM FILES.
    > > EXAMPLES:TemporaryFile:C:\DOCUME~1\User\Local~1Temp\IMT336.xml
    > > TemporaryFile:C:\WINDOWS\Temp\CS4E82C.temp
    > > ANY INPUT ? IS THERE A WAY TO DO IT SHORT OF WIPING THE DISK ?
    > > andyarch

    Andy,

    Comcast is my ISP also. Tip: Never download and install any software from
    an ISP.

    Comcast One Click Fixes
    http://www.comcastsupport.com/sdcxuser/asp/autosolutions2.asp

    [[Do you want to install and run "SupportSoft Web Objects - Script
    SupportAction" blah, blah.]]

    This is some kind of script, I clicked NO. This is from www.support.com and
    I think that it probably downloads to %windir%Downloaded Program Files or
    C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files

    COMPUTER PERFORMANCE
    Disk
    Clear Temp Files - This solution clears all files from Windows Temporary
    folder.
    -----

    If you mean you still have files left in Temporary Internet Files folders,
    than you had IE or OE open when you tried to clean them. Or something had a
    file lock on the Temporary Internet Files. See the following for more info.

    The option "Empty Temporary Internet Files folders when browser is closed"
    does not work ?
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/deltifonexit.htm

    Internet Explorer Does not Delete Temporary Internet Files on Close
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=814782

    If you mean that you still had temp files left in
    %windir%\Temp or C:\WINDOWS\Temp
    or
    %tmp% or %homepath%\Local Settings\Temp
    than something was still using thoes files.
    -----

    %homepath% is an environment variable that is the path to the user's home
    directory.

    Typing or pasting %homepath% into the Start | Run box opens to the Documents
    and Settings folder on whatever drive it is located on and the logged in
    user.

    I.e. C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here

    I use these when posting because I never know what drive or if it's a
    WINDOWS or WINNT folder and %homepath% is easier to type than C:\Documents
    and Settings\Your Name Here.

    %windir% is an environment variable that is the location of the system
    directory.

    Typing or pasting %windir% into the Start | Run box opens to the Windows
    folder on whatever drive it is located. I.e. C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINNT.

    Windows XP can be installed in either WINDOWS or WINNT.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:7094F1D7-F745-4E0C-9AAA-13C2F55CE0B3@microsoft.com,

    His link was messed up, try this one.

    http://www.ccleaner.com

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:3F42B3DC-A72E-434E-A3D5-AB17F20E1BD5@microsoft.com,
    andyarch <andyarch@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Arthur:
    >
    > The page didn't come up. Is there any detail or are there any references
    > for this company ?
    >
    > Andy
    > --
    > andyarch
    >

    > "Arthur" wrote:
    >
    >> Get this FREE program CCLEANER : http://www.ccleaner.com/...just set
    >> options to clean on boot ... or you can manually "RUN CLEANER" It's a
    >> great cache clean
    >>
    >> "andyarch" <andyarch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> I'M OPERATING WITH WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL VERSION 2002 WITH SERVICE
    >>> PACK 2.
    >>> ALSO INSTALLED IS NORTON SYSTEMWORKS.
    >>>
    >>> I AM UNABLE TO DELETE CERTAIN TEMPORARY FILES WHICH ARE INDICATED BY THE
    >>> NORTON "ONE BUTTON FIX" AS PROBLEM FILES.
    >>> EXAMPLES:TemporaryFile:C:\DOCUME~1\User\Local~1Temp\IMT336.xml
    >>> TemporaryFile:C:\WINDOWS\Temp\CS4E82C.temp
    >>> ANY INPUT ? IS THERE A WAY TO DO IT SHORT OF WIPING THE DISK ?
    >>> andyarch
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Wesley Vogel Wrote:
    > His link was messed up, try this one.
    >
    > http://www.ccleaner.com
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:3F42B3DC-A72E-434E-A3D5-AB17F20E1BD5@microsoft.com,
    > andyarch andyarch@discussions.microsoft.com hunted and pecked:-
    > Arthur:
    >
    > The page didn't come up. Is there any detail or are there any
    > references
    > for this company ?
    >
    > Andy
    > --
    > andyarch
    >

    > "Arthur" wrote:
    > -
    > Get this FREE program CCLEANER : http://www.ccleaner.com/...just set
    > options to clean on boot ... or you can manually "RUN CLEANER" It's
    > great cache clean
    >
    > "andyarch" andyarch@discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
    > I'M OPERATING WITH WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL VERSION 2002 WITH SERVICE
    > PACK 2.
    > ALSO INSTALLED IS NORTON SYSTEMWORKS.
    >
    > I AM UNABLE TO DELETE CERTAIN TEMPORARY FILES WHICH ARE INDICATED BY
    > THE
    > NORTON "ONE BUTTON FIX" AS PROBLEM FILES.
    > EXAMPLES:TemporaryFile:C:\DOCUME~1\User\Local~1Temp\IMT336.xml
    > TemporaryFile:C:\WINDOWS\Temp\CS4E82C.temp
    > ANY INPUT ? IS THERE A WAY TO DO IT SHORT OF WIPING THE DISK ?
    > andyarch---

    Hi

    if u want absolutely no traces of any temp files. do this.........

    open command prompt from accessories menu. work ur way upto the temp
    folder directory from which u wud like to delete all files. nce there,
    press Ctrl+Alt+Del and from the processes tab select 'Explorer.exe' and
    click on end process. once done, all ur windows will close except the
    command prompt. then in the command prompt window type 'Del *.*' and
    hit enter. confirm deletion with a 'y'. this will delete all the files
    within ur temp directory. when done, press Ctrl+Alt+Del again to bring
    up the task manager and click on new task. enter 'explorer' and hit
    enter to get back explorer. simple.
    Enjoy!!

    --
    asim662
  10. Quote:

    I'M OPERATING WITH WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL VERSION 2002 WITH SERVICE PACK 2.
    ALSO INSTALLED IS NORTON SYSTEMWORKS.

    I AM UNABLE TO DELETE CERTAIN TEMPORARY FILES WHICH ARE INDICATED BY THE
    NORTON "ONE BUTTON FIX" AS PROBLEM FILES.
    EXAMPLES:TemporaryFile:C:\DOCUME~1\User\Local~1Temp\IMT336.xml
    TemporaryFile:C:\WINDOWS\Temp\CS4E82C.temp
    ANY INPUT ? IS THERE A WAY TO DO IT SHORT OF WIPING THE DISK ?
    andyarch

    Few months ago I came across the same problem and I read an article on http://www.windowsphonesupport.com/ , there they recommended a tiny software called unlocker , you can download it from http://download.cnet.com/Unlocker/3000-2248_4-10493998.html
  11. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened

Windows XP