Sign in with
Your question

Fans pull too much voltage, so comp won't start up

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b ) Power supply
November 17, 2000 1:59:11 PM

I'm having a problem with a new power supply I got. When I try to overclock my celeron 300a to 450 or 500, I need to put fans on to keep it stable, but when I plug in my fans, the computer won't turn on. My friend said its probably too much voltage draw from the fans and that I might need a time relay delay. I couldn't get one at radio shack, they didn't have any. If anyone knows any way to help my situation, or any other possible things it could be, then let me know.
thanx
-rich schwab
November 17, 2000 2:36:09 PM

How big is your powersupply?
If it is not at least 300W get one.
300W = $30
450W = $90
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b ) Power supply
November 17, 2000 3:25:41 PM

One suggestion that I have for you is try to get a more powerful power supply. If it's not possible or too expansive, then you can work a nice solution out. For example, if you have a full tower with plenty of room in it, you can place yourself a second cheap PS unit (you can get 250 or 235W PSU for real cheap). If it's an AT PSU, just plug an ON/OFF switch and you're on your way. If it's ATX, then you have a little wire job to do. (I can give you advices if you're interested)

The other solution is: you put an ON/OFF switch in the back of your box and a power socket. You plug all you fans into the on/off switch, and the switch into the socket (you'll might have a little soldering to do). Then you put an extension cord to connect the socket of your tower to a normal power outlet. (I use a generic power cord, the one that you use to connect you PSU to the wall).
Related resources
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b ) Power supply
November 18, 2000 3:46:22 AM

the old power supply was a 235w, the new one is a 300w. that is why I am wondering why it won't work. Do you think that if I spliced too many fans together on one lead, maybe it is shorting somewhere, since I did pull the wire leads out of the plastic power adapter heads. Well let me know if you need anymore info, but thanks for the suggestion =]
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b ) Power supply
November 21, 2000 2:55:43 PM

I think you have a short.

I doubt you have too many fans attached to the one PS output, I have 3 fans and a 55W peltier attached to one output off a 230W PS running an 850MHz Thunderbird. My gfx card is an old guillemot voodoo banshee 16MB PCI though, and it doesn't draw much power. I have 3 drives in the thing though, plus floppy, and a 120mm fan blowing right on the heatsink through a hole in the side of the case. Since I can do all that on 230W (Thunderbird takes about 55W, 55W for the peltier, that's 110W right there, and I still have room for rest of MB/gfx/drives/etc).
Therefore, it must be something like a short.
!