Fans pull too much voltage, so comp won't start up

I'm having a problem with a new power supply I got. When I try to overclock my celeron 300a to 450 or 500, I need to put fans on to keep it stable, but when I plug in my fans, the computer won't turn on. My friend said its probably too much voltage draw from the fans and that I might need a time relay delay. I couldn't get one at radio shack, they didn't have any. If anyone knows any way to help my situation, or any other possible things it could be, then let me know.
-rich schwab
4 answers Last reply
More about fans pull voltage comp start
  1. How big is your powersupply?
    If it is not at least 300W get one.
    300W = $30
    450W = $90
  2. One suggestion that I have for you is try to get a more powerful power supply. If it's not possible or too expansive, then you can work a nice solution out. For example, if you have a full tower with plenty of room in it, you can place yourself a second cheap PS unit (you can get 250 or 235W PSU for real cheap). If it's an AT PSU, just plug an ON/OFF switch and you're on your way. If it's ATX, then you have a little wire job to do. (I can give you advices if you're interested)

The other solution is: you put an ON/OFF switch in the back of your box and a power socket. You plug all you fans into the on/off switch, and the switch into the socket (you'll might have a little soldering to do). Then you put an extension cord to connect the socket of your tower to a normal power outlet. (I use a generic power cord, the one that you use to connect you PSU to the wall).
  3. the old power supply was a 235w, the new one is a 300w. that is why I am wondering why it won't work. Do you think that if I spliced too many fans together on one lead, maybe it is shorting somewhere, since I did pull the wire leads out of the plastic power adapter heads. Well let me know if you need anymore info, but thanks for the suggestion =]
  4. I think you have a short.

I doubt you have too many fans attached to the one PS output, I have 3 fans and a 55W peltier attached to one output off a 230W PS running an 850MHz Thunderbird. My gfx card is an old guillemot voodoo banshee 16MB PCI though, and it doesn't draw much power. I have 3 drives in the thing though, plus floppy, and a 120mm fan blowing right on the heatsink through a hole in the side of the case. Since I can do all that on 230W (Thunderbird takes about 55W, 55W for the peltier, that's 110W right there, and I still have room for rest of MB/gfx/drives/etc).
    Therefore, it must be something like a short.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Overclocking Power Supplies