C and D drive partitions

August 27, 2005 3:12:02 PM

I tried to increase the size of my C drive by deleting the D drive partition.
The D drive was deleted but the C drive size appears the same.

How can I now increase the size of the C drive to fully occupy the space
that the D drive previously took up. I would like to end up with one large C
drive and no partition.

More about : drive partitions

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 5:29:57 PM

The only way you can create, delete, resize or merge existing partitions,
and not harm your existing Windows installation, is to purchase and use
a third-party partitioning program such as Partition Magic 8.
http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/

The alternative is to perform a "Clean Install" of Windows XP.

Clean Install Windows XP

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"Kevin F." wrote:

| I tried to increase the size of my C drive by deleting the D drive partition.
| The D drive was deleted but the C drive size appears the same.
|
| How can I now increase the size of the C drive to fully occupy the space
| that the D drive previously took up. I would like to end up with one large C
| drive and no partition.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 8:01:34 PM

I just purchased a computer that came with a 160GB drive, all of which was
partitioned as drive C:\.
I wanted to reduce drive C:\ to ~30GB and set the rest up as an extended
partition with logical drives.
The opposite from what you want., but can be approached using the same
methods.
I purchased Norton Partition Magic 8.0 and used it to successfully perform
the task I wanted.
Just a few notes to add.... if you choose this route.
Purchase the Partition Magic software but do not install it.
Inter your BIOS setup (F2? at boot) and set the BIOS to boot to your CD
drive first. (Changing the boot order)
While your in the BIOS setup, open the CD drawer, insert the Partition Magic
CD and close the cd drawer.
Exit the BIOS setup saving your changes.
The system should boot to the CD.
You should see the partition DOS utility window.
You'll have several numbered options to choose from. Select the number to
start the Partition magic utility from CD
(I don't recall the number choice or the exact wording) Read the booklet
that comes with Partition Magic.
This is a DOS utility, But it installs a mouse and CD drivers so you have
the tools you need.
You should see a window that is similar to the Windows Disk Manager.
It will show you your Hard Drives(s) in a similar manner.
Click on the unassigned disk space you recently created and REVIEW (don't do
anything) and browse thru the menu options for this unused space.
Click on Drive C:\ and REVIEW (don't do anything yet) and browse the menu
options for drive C:\.
The menu along the top (I think) is called "tasks" or something. It's a
pulldown menu that shows the available options for the selected drive.
I'm not sure how this will go, maybe with drive C selected, a menu option
will be available to allow you to expand drive C to use the additional space
as you want.
PLEASE.... Back up your important stuff first, run a virus scan and defrag
before you do this.
(READ THE BOOK FIRST) (ALSO browse the CD, it might contain a full user
manual in pdf format, if so, read thru this first too!)
PLEASE... your messing around with the drive containing your operating
system. One false move might mess-up the rest of your day!

I've used PM at work several times and am really impressed with what it did
for me, I just want you to be careful.
After you've run Partition Magic, boot into the BIOS (F2? at boot) and
change the boot order back the way it was.
Do this later if you want, just don't forget about it.

Boot into Windows and check to see if things are as you want.
If so, now you can install Partition Magic onto you system if you want.
(I've used PM several times and still haven't installed it into Windows)
My opinion..... Never work on the drive C:\ partition structure while the OS
is running.
But this is just my opinion.... we all have those, don't we?

Just as a curiosity, what if you leave a small space for drive D: and label
it "Documents" or something. Then you can store your personal files here.

Best of luck and please be careful!

Richard in Va.