overclocking Asus P2BF

G

I decided to write this email
precisely to ask more detailed information according overclock. I wish
first of all say that I'm not a fanatic believer in overclock, ( this one would be the first one), I'm not a fanatic of speed. To me it's only a
way to make my hardware a little bit "younger" without spend a huge amount of money in trying to follow the too (to me at least!) fast development of hardware!

I red already all the reviews written by tomshardware's guys about this subject, and I have
understood that overclocking my system may not be so trivial. My computer is
composed by a MB Asus P2B-F, 128 MB SDRAM PC-100, HD IBM DTTA 14.4 GB,
ATI rage FURY MAXX, SB live!, pioneer DVD 16x-40x, 8x4x32x Waitec CD-RW,
adapter card FC-PGA - slot1, PIII coppermine 600E. I will upgrade my system with 128 MB of SDRAM PC133 shortly and the new HD IBM DTLA 30 GB + controller promise HOT-U-ATA100.
My first question concern the controller promise (this is not an overclock at all,OK! But I wish to profit of your technical knowledge guys!!) : I know that U-ATA33 is
not sufficient to get the whole speed of this new HD IBM. Do you think that installing a novel controller could be the right solution or rather, would be useless, for example for intrisical limitations in the MB for example or for other reasons?
In a second time, (and here we come to the true overclock!!) when my computer will get older, I wish to rise the bus from 100 Mhz to 133. In some reviews I red that the most serious concern about overclock of systems based on 440BX chipset, are
AGP port and PCI. For AGp I should be fine. I 've seen some tests showing that ATI RAGE fury MAXX works even with stressed AGP.
Unfortunately I was'nt able to find any information about PCI in my MB, in particular regarding the problem of dividing the clock speed by 4.
I've seen a report about overclocking the ASUS P3B-F up to 133 Mhz which seems to work fine. Asus P3B-F looks really
similar to my P2B-F. I guess it should be possible even with the P2B-F.
Am I right? If this is the case, is there something else I should check?

thanks to everybody who will respond!

G

stef, Your P2B-F should be able to help you coax a little more wind into your system. It's one of the better mainboards, and will give you many, many steps in overclocking speed, in the BIOS. Don't buy the RAM yet ! Your limiting hardware might turn out to be the ATI graphics controller chip. First, make sure that you can monitor the tempurature of the CPU (and graphics chip, if possible). Get an idea of the baseline for a standard clock setting in your system. Then get the P2B-F manual out (or download the manual), and set the dipswitches for a moderate O/C. My P3B-F has a few useful dipswitch settings for O/C, so I've never bothered with the BIOS level speed settings, but there are dozens (yes, dozens) of choices in the BIOS. I got to 800 with the PIII600E, but had instability problems until I replaced the Slotket PGA to Slot1 convertor with an ASUS S370-DL. That not only solved the instability problem, but got me up the 140MHz (It's a whopping $12 pricetag for the ASUS CPU Card). I've since moved the 600E over to my business computer(with the old slotket), and replaced it with a 700E for the O/C gaming (with the ASUS CPU card) system. I can't tell you what the ATI graphics card will tolerate, but you mainboard is all ready set for FSB times 2/3 = AGP speed (100FSB/66MHzAGP). So, the AGP will get 2/3 of whatever you choose for FSB. I can't tell you which component will choke first. Just step up the speed bit by bit, and see how far you get. Good Luck.

your main concern would be your memory my P2B runs just fine @133 which has the 4 divider for pci 133/4=33.3 but like you said the agp will be at 89???. if your memory can handle it and your vid can handle it you will have no problems