winlogon going nuts

August 27, 2005 11:39:03 PM

Hi:

I have been wrestling with my machine for months now - Windows XP Home Ed. -
first SP1 then SP2. Always updated windows - use ad-aware, spybot, norton
antivirus, etc.

Peridoically the "winlogon.exe" process pegs as 95%. Reboot seems to be the
only thing to stop it.

Can't find spyware, worms, parasites, nothing. Ran "sfc" and no problems.

Any idea where to start looking?

More about : winlogon nuts

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 1:53:12 PM

Larry Wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have been wrestling with my machine for months now - Windows XP Home
> Ed. -
> first SP1 then SP2. Always updated windows - use ad-aware, spybot,
> norton
> antivirus, etc.
>
> Peridoically the "winlogon.exe" process pegs as 95%. Reboot seems to
> be the
> only thing to stop it.
>
> Can't find spyware, worms, parasites, nothing. Ran "sfc" and no
> problems.
>
> Any idea where to start looking?

Try this, right click Internet Explorer, go to Properties, go to
Programs, Click Manage Add-ons, after the add-ons pop up look for
Windows controled add-ons. Click on and disable. Now reboot, and view
processes with task manager. If problem still occurs than I would
suggest a Windows Startup Program, or a port and applacation activity
monitor, such as Kaprowsky Anti-Hack. PM me if you still have problems

--
terrorbyte
August 28, 2005 5:27:43 PM

Larry wrote:
> *Hi:
>
> I have been wrestling with my machine for months now - Windows XP
> Home Ed. -
> first SP1 then SP2. Always updated windows - use ad-aware, spybot,
> norton
> antivirus, etc.
>
> Peridoically the "winlogon.exe" process pegs as 95%. Reboot seems to
> be the
> only thing to stop it.
>
> Can't find spyware, worms, parasites, nothing. Ran "sfc" and no
> problems.
>
> Any idea where to start looking? *
Hi could be something to do with nortons taking over, read othe forums
on problem with nortons running.

--
thedon57