winlogon going nuts

Hi:

I have been wrestling with my machine for months now - Windows XP Home Ed. -
first SP1 then SP2. Always updated windows - use ad-aware, spybot, norton
antivirus, etc.

Peridoically the "winlogon.exe" process pegs as 95%. Reboot seems to be the
only thing to stop it.

Can't find spyware, worms, parasites, nothing. Ran "sfc" and no problems.

Any idea where to start looking?
2 answers Last reply
More about winlogon nuts

    Larry Wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I have been wrestling with my machine for months now - Windows XP Home
    > Ed. -
    > first SP1 then SP2. Always updated windows - use ad-aware, spybot,
    > norton
    > antivirus, etc.
    >
    > Peridoically the "winlogon.exe" process pegs as 95%. Reboot seems to
    > be the
    > only thing to stop it.
    >
    > Can't find spyware, worms, parasites, nothing. Ran "sfc" and no
    > problems.
    >
    > Any idea where to start looking?

    Try this, right click Internet Explorer, go to Properties, go to
    Programs, Click Manage Add-ons, after the add-ons pop up look for
    Windows controled add-ons. Click on and disable. Now reboot, and view
    processes with task manager. If problem still occurs than I would
    suggest a Windows Startup Program, or a port and applacation activity
    monitor, such as Kaprowsky Anti-Hack. PM me if you still have problems

    --
    terrorbyte

    Larry wrote:
    > *Hi:
    >
    > I have been wrestling with my machine for months now - Windows XP
    > Home Ed. -
    > first SP1 then SP2. Always updated windows - use ad-aware, spybot,
    > norton
    > antivirus, etc.
    >
    > Peridoically the "winlogon.exe" process pegs as 95%. Reboot seems to
    > be the
    > only thing to stop it.
    >
    > Can't find spyware, worms, parasites, nothing. Ran "sfc" and no
    > problems.
    >
    > Any idea where to start looking? *
    Hi could be something to do with nortons taking over, read othe forums
    on problem with nortons running.

    --
    thedon57

Windows XP