Photo and scanner wizard missing. File associations

I'm trying to view photos from my camera. In Control Panel, there is no file
in the Scanners and Cameras folder. I loaded 4 photos via a USB device. When
I open the device folder I see the photo files but cannot open the photos.
The file associations seem messed up - one shows"IMG-00", one shows "
IMG-02.JPG", two appear as "JPG". When I look at the properties of the files,
there is nothing shown for "open with". Does this sound like an operating
system reload? Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about photo scanner wizard missing file associations

    "Duke99" <Duke99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to view photos from my camera. In Control Panel, there is no
    > file
    > in the Scanners and Cameras folder. I loaded 4 photos via a USB device.
    > When
    > I open the device folder I see the photo files but cannot open the photos.
    > The file associations seem messed up - one shows"IMG-00", one shows "
    > IMG-02.JPG", two appear as "JPG". When I look at the properties of the
    > files,
    > there is nothing shown for "open with". Does this sound like an operating
    > system reload? Thanks
    No, you should be able to fix the "open with" dialog yourself. Right click
    on the image, then select the "open with" tab. You can enter whichever
    photo program that you have.
    And, if there is no extension shown for "IMG-00", most programs will not
    open it. You need to rename the file with the correct extension.
    There is no "Scanners and Cameras" folder. That entry is a shortcut to some
    program.
    Jim

    When I right click on the file, the choice "open with" is not present. If I
    right click and select "properties" to try to change the association it
    doesn't work.

    I took 4 identical photos but the system only properly opens one of them.
    Why would it not give all of them the same extension?

    I will retry simply changing the file extension, but even if this works, I
    shouldn't have to do this for every photo I upload. If I installed the camera
    properly, shouldn't it appear when I open the Scanners and Camerasfolder?

    "Jim" wrote:

    > "Duke99" <Duke99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm trying to view photos from my camera. In Control Panel, there is no
    > > file
    > > in the Scanners and Cameras folder. I loaded 4 photos via a USB device.
    > > When
    > > I open the device folder I see the photo files but cannot open the photos.
    > > The file associations seem messed up - one shows"IMG-00", one shows "
    > > IMG-02.JPG", two appear as "JPG". When I look at the properties of the
    > > files,
    > > there is nothing shown for "open with". Does this sound like an operating
    > > system reload? Thanks
    > No, you should be able to fix the "open with" dialog yourself. Right click
    > on the image, then select the "open with" tab. You can enter whichever
    > photo program that you have.
    > And, if there is no extension shown for "IMG-00", most programs will not
    > open it. You need to rename the file with the correct extension.
    > There is no "Scanners and Cameras" folder. That entry is a shortcut to some
    > program.
    > Jim

Photo Scanners Windows XP