restoring computer to original state

I have 8300 dell, windows xp, 2002 version and I am wanting to restore my
computer to it's original state. I have done it before but forget how it was
done since it was so long ago. I tried to do a restore but it restores it
back to a checkpoint and I want it like it was when I got it. Can anyone
help me to figure this out before I just give up and throw it out the window?
--
Tina
11 answers Last reply

    Hi

    Dependent on the type of XP CD you have, you may be able to perform a
    'Clean' install as in the following article by Michael Stevens:

    --

    Will Denny
    MS MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Tina N." <TinaN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have 8300 dell, windows xp, 2002 version and I am wanting to restore my
    > computer to it's original state. I have done it before but forget how it
    > was
    > done since it was so long ago. I tried to do a restore but it restores it
    > back to a checkpoint and I want it like it was when I got it. Can anyone
    > help me to figure this out before I just give up and throw it out the
    > window?
    > --
    > Tina

    Sorry - forgot to put the link in:

    Failing that, have a look at the documentation that came with XP CD.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Tina N." <TinaN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have 8300 dell, windows xp, 2002 version and I am wanting to restore my
    > computer to it's original state. I have done it before but forget how it
    > was
    > done since it was so long ago. I tried to do a restore but it restores it
    > back to a checkpoint and I want it like it was when I got it. Can anyone
    > help me to figure this out before I just give up and throw it out the
    > window?
    > --
    > Tina

    Will,
    I have XP home and I restored it to the origninal before but I couldn't
    remember how to. Thak and I will try that and see.
    --
    Tina

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Sorry - forgot to put the link in:
    >
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    >
    > Failing that, have a look at the documentation that came with XP CD.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >
    > "Tina N." <TinaN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have 8300 dell, windows xp, 2002 version and I am wanting to restore my
    > > computer to it's original state. I have done it before but forget how it
    > > was
    > > done since it was so long ago. I tried to do a restore but it restores it
    > > back to a checkpoint and I want it like it was when I got it. Can anyone
    > > help me to figure this out before I just give up and throw it out the
    > > window?
    > > --
    > > Tina

    "Tina N." <TinaN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have 8300 dell, windows xp, 2002 version and I am wanting to restore my
    >computer to it's original state. I have done it before but forget how it was
    >done since it was so long ago. I tried to do a restore but it restores it
    >back to a checkpoint and I want it like it was when I got it. Can anyone
    >help me to figure this out before I just give up and throw it out the window?

    Do you have a CD from Dell with your Windows XP on it? If so then
    boot your computer with that CD and follow the instructions.

    If you did not receive a CD from Dell then your Windows XP will be on
    a hidden "System Recovery" partition on the hard drive which you can
    access immediately after you first power on the computer.
    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090151

    Note that doing this System Recovery will totally and permanently
    obliterate everything you have created or saved on the computer so you
    need to ensure that you have full and functioning backups of whatever
    you want to preserve (e.g. emails, letters, financial data, etc. etc.)

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron,
    I do have the reinstallation cd. I will try it and see how it turns out.
    Thanks!
    --
    Tina

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > "Tina N." <TinaN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I have 8300 dell, windows xp, 2002 version and I am wanting to restore my
    > >computer to it's original state. I have done it before but forget how it was
    > >done since it was so long ago. I tried to do a restore but it restores it
    > >back to a checkpoint and I want it like it was when I got it. Can anyone
    > >help me to figure this out before I just give up and throw it out the window?
    >
    > Do you have a CD from Dell with your Windows XP on it? If so then
    > boot your computer with that CD and follow the instructions.
    >
    > If you did not receive a CD from Dell then your Windows XP will be on
    > a hidden "System Recovery" partition on the hard drive which you can
    > access immediately after you first power on the computer.
    > http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090151
    >
    > Note that doing this System Recovery will totally and permanently
    > obliterate everything you have created or saved on the computer so you
    > need to ensure that you have full and functioning backups of whatever
    > you want to preserve (e.g. emails, letters, financial data, etc. etc.)
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron,
    I tried it with and without the cd and I can't get anything to come up as
    far as the Symantic window and the XP cd does nothing. It doesn't tell me
    what I need to do. I'm completely at a loss. I don't know if it is corrupt
    amd I am missing stuff or what. I have alot of problems with error messages
    saying windows needs to close, whether that might have anything to do with it
    or not but maybe you could give me more information. The last time I did this
    I didn't have any of these problems restoring it, I don't understand why I am
    now. Thanks!
    --
    Tina

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > "Tina N." <TinaN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I have 8300 dell, windows xp, 2002 version and I am wanting to restore my
    > >computer to it's original state. I have done it before but forget how it was
    > >done since it was so long ago. I tried to do a restore but it restores it
    > >back to a checkpoint and I want it like it was when I got it. Can anyone
    > >help me to figure this out before I just give up and throw it out the window?
    >
    > Do you have a CD from Dell with your Windows XP on it? If so then
    > boot your computer with that CD and follow the instructions.
    >
    > If you did not receive a CD from Dell then your Windows XP will be on
    > a hidden "System Recovery" partition on the hard drive which you can
    > access immediately after you first power on the computer.
    > http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090151
    >
    > Note that doing this System Recovery will totally and permanently
    > obliterate everything you have created or saved on the computer so you
    > need to ensure that you have full and functioning backups of whatever
    > you want to preserve (e.g. emails, letters, financial data, etc. etc.)
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    "Tina N." <TinaN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Ron,
    >I tried it with and without the cd and I can't get anything to come up as
    >far as the Symantic window and the XP cd does nothing. It doesn't tell me
    >what I need to do. I'm completely at a loss. I don't know if it is corrupt
    >amd I am missing stuff or what. I have alot of problems with error messages
    >saying windows needs to close, whether that might have anything to do with it
    >or not but maybe you could give me more information. The last time I did this
    >I didn't have any of these problems restoring it, I don't understand why I am
    >now. Thanks!

    What exactly do you see on the screen when you boot your computer with
    the Windows XP CD? You should get a menu with different choices on
    it, but the exact choices may vary depending on the actual type of CD
    that you have.

    If you can give me the list of what the choices are then we can pick
    the one that has the best chance of resolving your problem.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron,
    There is normal, primary master drive, hard disk drive C, IDE CD Rom device,
    disketter drive, system setup, IDE drive diagnostics, and boot to utility
    partition is what comes up when I boot up the computer.
    --
    Tina

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > "Tina N." <TinaN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Ron,
    > >I tried it with and without the cd and I can't get anything to come up as
    > >far as the Symantic window and the XP cd does nothing. It doesn't tell me
    > >what I need to do. I'm completely at a loss. I don't know if it is corrupt
    > >amd I am missing stuff or what. I have alot of problems with error messages
    > >saying windows needs to close, whether that might have anything to do with it
    > >or not but maybe you could give me more information. The last time I did this
    > >I didn't have any of these problems restoring it, I don't understand why I am
    > >now. Thanks!
    >
    > What exactly do you see on the screen when you boot your computer with
    > the Windows XP CD? You should get a menu with different choices on
    > it, but the exact choices may vary depending on the actual type of CD
    > that you have.
    >
    > If you can give me the list of what the choices are then we can pick
    > the one that has the best chance of resolving your problem.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "Tina N." <TinaN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Ron,
    >There is normal, primary master drive, hard disk drive C, IDE CD Rom device,
    >disketter drive, system setup, IDE drive diagnostics, and boot to utility
    >partition is what comes up when I boot up the computer.

    Hi Tina.

    That sounds like a boot selection menu being produced by your
    computer's BIOS setup.

    If you are certain that you want to wipe out your existing Windows
    install, including all of your user data files (emails, pictures,
    letters, whatever) and all of the installed programs and updates, and
    return the computer to the way it was the day that you purchased it
    then what you need to do is to select the "boot to utility partition"
    option which should give you a further menu that includes the option
    to wipe out your hard drive and load a fresh copy of Windows.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Ron,
    Thanks for your help, I will try that.
    --
    Tina

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > "Tina N." <TinaN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Ron,
    > >There is normal, primary master drive, hard disk drive C, IDE CD Rom device,
    > >disketter drive, system setup, IDE drive diagnostics, and boot to utility
    > >partition is what comes up when I boot up the computer.
    >

    > Hi Tina.
    >
    > That sounds like a boot selection menu being produced by your
    > computer's BIOS setup.
    >
    > If you are certain that you want to wipe out your existing Windows
    > install, including all of your user data files (emails, pictures,
    > letters, whatever) and all of the installed programs and updates, and
    > return the computer to the way it was the day that you purchased it
    > then what you need to do is to select the "boot to utility partition"
    > option which should give you a further menu that includes the option
    > to wipe out your hard drive and load a fresh copy of Windows.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Ron,
    I tried that and all that comes up are different test you can do on your
    computer. F2 comes up with things for your hard drive after you restart your
    computer but the Utility partition has nothing to wipe out the hard drive.
    --
    Tina

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > "Tina N." <TinaN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Ron,
    > >There is normal, primary master drive, hard disk drive C, IDE CD Rom device,
    > >disketter drive, system setup, IDE drive diagnostics, and boot to utility
    > >partition is what comes up when I boot up the computer.
    >

    > Hi Tina.
    >
    > That sounds like a boot selection menu being produced by your
    > computer's BIOS setup.
    >
    > If you are certain that you want to wipe out your existing Windows
    > install, including all of your user data files (emails, pictures,
    > letters, whatever) and all of the installed programs and updates, and
    > return the computer to the way it was the day that you purchased it
    > then what you need to do is to select the "boot to utility partition"
    > option which should give you a further menu that includes the option
    > to wipe out your hard drive and load a fresh copy of Windows.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP