restoring computer to original state

I have 8300 dell, windows xp, 2002 version and I am wanting to restore my
computer to it's original state. I have done it before but forget how it was
done since it was so long ago. I tried to do a restore but it restores it
back to a checkpoint and I want it like it was when I got it. Can anyone
help me to figure this out before I just give up and throw it out the window?
--
Tina

Hi

Dependent on the type of XP CD you have, you may be able to perform a
'Clean' install as in the following article by Michael Stevens:

--

Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

"Tina N." <TinaN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 8300 dell, windows xp, 2002 version and I am wanting to restore my
> computer to it's original state. I have done it before but forget how it
> was
> done since it was so long ago. I tried to do a restore but it restores it
> back to a checkpoint and I want it like it was when I got it. Can anyone
> help me to figure this out before I just give up and throw it out the
> window?
> --
> Tina

Sorry - forgot to put the link in:

Failing that, have a look at the documentation that came with XP CD.

--

Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"Tina N." <TinaN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 8300 dell, windows xp, 2002 version and I am wanting to restore my
> computer to it's original state. I have done it before but forget how it
> was
> done since it was so long ago. I tried to do a restore but it restores it
> back to a checkpoint and I want it like it was when I got it. Can anyone
> help me to figure this out before I just give up and throw it out the
> window?
> --
> Tina

Will,
I have XP home and I restored it to the origninal before but I couldn't
remember how to. Thak and I will try that and see.
--
Tina

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Sorry - forgot to put the link in:
>
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> Failing that, have a look at the documentation that came with XP CD.
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
> "Tina N." <TinaN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have 8300 dell, windows xp, 2002 version and I am wanting to restore my
> > computer to it's original state. I have done it before but forget how it
> > was
> > done since it was so long ago. I tried to do a restore but it restores it
> > back to a checkpoint and I want it like it was when I got it. Can anyone
> > help me to figure this out before I just give up and throw it out the
> > window?
> > --
> > Tina

"Tina N." <TinaN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have 8300 dell, windows xp, 2002 version and I am wanting to restore my
>computer to it's original state. I have done it before but forget how it was
>done since it was so long ago. I tried to do a restore but it restores it
>back to a checkpoint and I want it like it was when I got it. Can anyone
>help me to figure this out before I just give up and throw it out the window?

Do you have a CD from Dell with your Windows XP on it? If so then
boot your computer with that CD and follow the instructions.

If you did not receive a CD from Dell then your Windows XP will be on
a hidden "System Recovery" partition on the hard drive which you can
access immediately after you first power on the computer.
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090151

Note that doing this System Recovery will totally and permanently
obliterate everything you have created or saved on the computer so you
need to ensure that you have full and functioning backups of whatever
you want to preserve (e.g. emails, letters, financial data, etc. etc.)

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Ron,
I do have the reinstallation cd. I will try it and see how it turns out.
Thanks!
--
Tina

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "Tina N." <TinaN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have 8300 dell, windows xp, 2002 version and I am wanting to restore my
> >computer to it's original state. I have done it before but forget how it was
> >done since it was so long ago. I tried to do a restore but it restores it
> >back to a checkpoint and I want it like it was when I got it. Can anyone
> >help me to figure this out before I just give up and throw it out the window?
>
> Do you have a CD from Dell with your Windows XP on it? If so then
> boot your computer with that CD and follow the instructions.
>
> If you did not receive a CD from Dell then your Windows XP will be on
> a hidden "System Recovery" partition on the hard drive which you can
> access immediately after you first power on the computer.
> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090151
>
> Note that doing this System Recovery will totally and permanently
> obliterate everything you have created or saved on the computer so you
> need to ensure that you have full and functioning backups of whatever
> you want to preserve (e.g. emails, letters, financial data, etc. etc.)
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Ron,
I tried it with and without the cd and I can't get anything to come up as
far as the Symantic window and the XP cd does nothing. It doesn't tell me
what I need to do. I'm completely at a loss. I don't know if it is corrupt
amd I am missing stuff or what. I have alot of problems with error messages
saying windows needs to close, whether that might have anything to do with it
or not but maybe you could give me more information. The last time I did this
I didn't have any of these problems restoring it, I don't understand why I am
now. Thanks!
--
Tina

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "Tina N." <TinaN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have 8300 dell, windows xp, 2002 version and I am wanting to restore my
> >computer to it's original state. I have done it before but forget how it was
> >done since it was so long ago. I tried to do a restore but it restores it
> >back to a checkpoint and I want it like it was when I got it. Can anyone
> >help me to figure this out before I just give up and throw it out the window?
>
> Do you have a CD from Dell with your Windows XP on it? If so then
> boot your computer with that CD and follow the instructions.
>
> If you did not receive a CD from Dell then your Windows XP will be on
> a hidden "System Recovery" partition on the hard drive which you can
> access immediately after you first power on the computer.
> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090151
>
> Note that doing this System Recovery will totally and permanently
> obliterate everything you have created or saved on the computer so you
> need to ensure that you have full and functioning backups of whatever
> you want to preserve (e.g. emails, letters, financial data, etc. etc.)
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

"Tina N." <TinaN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Ron,
>I tried it with and without the cd and I can't get anything to come up as
>far as the Symantic window and the XP cd does nothing. It doesn't tell me
>what I need to do. I'm completely at a loss. I don't know if it is corrupt
>amd I am missing stuff or what. I have alot of problems with error messages
>saying windows needs to close, whether that might have anything to do with it
>or not but maybe you could give me more information. The last time I did this
>I didn't have any of these problems restoring it, I don't understand why I am
>now. Thanks!

What exactly do you see on the screen when you boot your computer with
the Windows XP CD? You should get a menu with different choices on
it, but the exact choices may vary depending on the actual type of CD
that you have.

If you can give me the list of what the choices are then we can pick
the one that has the best chance of resolving your problem.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Ron,
There is normal, primary master drive, hard disk drive C, IDE CD Rom device,
disketter drive, system setup, IDE drive diagnostics, and boot to utility
partition is what comes up when I boot up the computer.
--
Tina

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "Tina N." <TinaN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Ron,
> >I tried it with and without the cd and I can't get anything to come up as
> >far as the Symantic window and the XP cd does nothing. It doesn't tell me
> >what I need to do. I'm completely at a loss. I don't know if it is corrupt
> >amd I am missing stuff or what. I have alot of problems with error messages
> >saying windows needs to close, whether that might have anything to do with it
> >or not but maybe you could give me more information. The last time I did this
> >I didn't have any of these problems restoring it, I don't understand why I am
> >now. Thanks!
>
> What exactly do you see on the screen when you boot your computer with
> the Windows XP CD? You should get a menu with different choices on
> it, but the exact choices may vary depending on the actual type of CD
> that you have.
>
> If you can give me the list of what the choices are then we can pick
> the one that has the best chance of resolving your problem.
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

"Tina N." <TinaN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Ron,
>There is normal, primary master drive, hard disk drive C, IDE CD Rom device,
>disketter drive, system setup, IDE drive diagnostics, and boot to utility
>partition is what comes up when I boot up the computer.

Hi Tina.

That sounds like a boot selection menu being produced by your
computer's BIOS setup.

If you are certain that you want to wipe out your existing Windows
install, including all of your user data files (emails, pictures,
letters, whatever) and all of the installed programs and updates, and
return the computer to the way it was the day that you purchased it
then what you need to do is to select the "boot to utility partition"
option which should give you a further menu that includes the option
to wipe out your hard drive and load a fresh copy of Windows.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Ron,
Thanks for your help, I will try that.
--
Tina

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "Tina N." <TinaN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Ron,
> >There is normal, primary master drive, hard disk drive C, IDE CD Rom device,
> >disketter drive, system setup, IDE drive diagnostics, and boot to utility
> >partition is what comes up when I boot up the computer.
>

> Hi Tina.
>
> That sounds like a boot selection menu being produced by your
> computer's BIOS setup.
>
> If you are certain that you want to wipe out your existing Windows
> install, including all of your user data files (emails, pictures,
> letters, whatever) and all of the installed programs and updates, and
> return the computer to the way it was the day that you purchased it
> then what you need to do is to select the "boot to utility partition"
> option which should give you a further menu that includes the option
> to wipe out your hard drive and load a fresh copy of Windows.
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Ron,
I tried that and all that comes up are different test you can do on your
computer. F2 comes up with things for your hard drive after you restart your
computer but the Utility partition has nothing to wipe out the hard drive.
--
Tina

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "Tina N." <TinaN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Ron,
> >There is normal, primary master drive, hard disk drive C, IDE CD Rom device,
> >disketter drive, system setup, IDE drive diagnostics, and boot to utility
> >partition is what comes up when I boot up the computer.
>

> Hi Tina.
>
> That sounds like a boot selection menu being produced by your
> computer's BIOS setup.
>
> If you are certain that you want to wipe out your existing Windows
> install, including all of your user data files (emails, pictures,
> letters, whatever) and all of the installed programs and updates, and
> return the computer to the way it was the day that you purchased it
> then what you need to do is to select the "boot to utility partition"
> option which should give you a further menu that includes the option
> to wipe out your hard drive and load a fresh copy of Windows.
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP