Cooling

G

I have just purchased an alpha cooler. Currently I have the fans sucking hot air out of the cpu. Would it be better to have the fans blow directly to the cpu vise blowing the hot air away.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would put the fan blowing down on the chip. Actually its blowing on the heatsink. Air moving fast over the heatsink will pull heat off the heatsink better. Blowing the fan away from the heatsink will conduct heat away but the air will not be moving as fast over the heatsink and the heat will not be pulled off as fast.

Just my opinion.

G

Right. It is more efficient ot blow the air on the chip than taking it away from it. When you are blowing the air on something, you have an additional factor called turbulence which gives you a little higher contact surface. And, the higher the contact surface is, the higher is the heat dissipation.

G

Thanks I will do that and now I can get a tweaking device for it. Any recommendations. I am thinking of the TD2 that is free of power connectors. This will minimize the wire clutter in my case.

G

I appreciate your input and I will definitely change those fans around. As soon as I get my case up to par then questions might arise again. Thank You.