anyone in Austin has an EVDO card I can try out?

Hi,

I'm looking to try out an EVDO card (Audiovox 5220 or the new one they
are selling) before I buy it. Also, I need to see if/how my computer
recognizes it.

Can you help?! Please email me back if you are in Austin and have a
card to show off. It would only take about 5 minutes and I can give you
a $5 Blockbuster gift card for your troubles. (hey I'm a student still!
;-)

Thanks!

heirbrande@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to try out an EVDO card (Audiovox 5220 or the new one they
> are selling) before I buy it. Also, I need to see if/how my computer
> recognizes it.
>
> Can you help?! Please email me back if you are in Austin and have a
> card to show off. It would only take about 5 minutes and I can give
> you a $5 Blockbuster gift card for your troubles. (hey I'm a student
> still! ;-)
>
> Thanks!

Is it for a laptop or desktop? Mine was for a laptop, I told them i'd buy it
if I can try it and it works, and they had me come into the repair/tech
place, and had a card and software to try (I had the regular MO software,
new version has to be installed to work with the new card and evdo)

One minor problem, if you do any sort of networking (I have a wireless
network at home), there is a block in the new Mobile Office (that works with
that card) that prevents it from being used/shared over a wired or wireless
network. (so much for the idea of an always on high speed internet server on
my network.. :(

Wow, so there is a block on it now for networking?!
Yes I wanted to use it in a laptop. Do you *have* to use their software
to get it working? I heard you can use software in MacOS for example
that works fine on the Audiovox 5220 cards.

I really wnated to use it on an older desktop with no pcmcia sockets,
and is not going to have any thank-you :), but the only way to get it
there is through the newer laptop with built-in Windows connection
sharing. I was also thinking about Linux sharing it to the desktop, but
I don't know how well Linux would handle the card.

thanks

Peter Pan wrote:
> heirbrande@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm looking to try out an EVDO card (Audiovox 5220 or the new one
they
> > are selling) before I buy it. Also, I need to see if/how my
computer
> > recognizes it.
> >
> > Can you help?! Please email me back if you are in Austin and have a
> > card to show off. It would only take about 5 minutes and I can give
> > you a $5 Blockbuster gift card for your troubles. (hey I'm a
student
> > still! ;-)
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Is it for a laptop or desktop? Mine was for a laptop, I told them i'd
buy it
> if I can try it and it works, and they had me come into the
repair/tech
> place, and had a card and software to try (I had the regular MO
software,
> new version has to be installed to work with the new card and evdo)
>
> One minor problem, if you do any sort of networking (I have a
wireless
> network at home), there is a block in the new Mobile Office (that
works with
> that card) that prevents it from being used/shared over a wired or
wireless
> network. (so much for the idea of an always on high speed internet
server on
> my network.. :(

I'm currently in Vegas (an evdo active area), have a wired/wireless network
in my space (not a motel room/but not an apartment or a suite)) not sure
what to call it, more than one room (3), but way less space than a suite),
at any rate, have 3 laptops, a PDA, and a DVR on a network here (and time on
my hands while doing the DR thing). Used to use an older NationalAccess card
in one of the laptops with an older Mobile Office as the always on internet
server (dial up would have been way to slow, and the place I am at doesn't
have cable). Decided to try the new card and EVDO in the laptop I use as a
network/internet server, turns out you have to get the new MO AND a special
driver/subprogram to support the card which can do both NationalAccess AND
BroadbandAccess, but something has been added to the new Mobile Office (to
support BroadbandAccess, currently on cards only, soon to also be on
handsets) so you can't network/share them anymore. You can still use the
OLDER (non BA cards) with the OLDER version of MO and it works fine.. Just
the high speed (BA) stuff doesn't share.. The older card (NA only) can also
work with regular DUN stuff since it is usually slower than max for serial
(and using DUN makes it slower than molasses in january in the northeast),
but the BA is about 500-600k, and can't be used with the non-MO dial up
stuff... IE new card must use the new software/and utility program that
supports it.

I would think it may be the same sort of thing with mac and linux (may work
with NationalAccess, but don't see how it could with BroadbandAccess, if you
try it and find out otherwise, let us know)

As for PCMCIA/Cardbus, know that big connector on the back of most laptops
(think it's 35 pin), they make external boxes with cardbus slots that plug
into those on the back of laptops.

heirbrande@yahoo.com wrote:
> Wow, so there is a block on it now for networking?!
> Yes I wanted to use it in a laptop. Do you *have* to use their
> software to get it working? I heard you can use software in MacOS for
> example that works fine on the Audiovox 5220 cards.
>
> I really wnated to use it on an older desktop with no pcmcia sockets,
> and is not going to have any thank-you :), but the only way to get it
> there is through the newer laptop with built-in Windows connection
> sharing. I was also thinking about Linux sharing it to the desktop,
> but I don't know how well Linux would handle the card.
>

> thanks
>

> Peter Pan wrote:
>> heirbrande@yahoo.com wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm looking to try out an EVDO card (Audiovox 5220 or the new one
>>> they are selling) before I buy it. Also, I need to see if/how my
>>> computer recognizes it.
>>>
>>> Can you help?! Please email me back if you are in Austin and have a
>>> card to show off. It would only take about 5 minutes and I can give
>>> you a $5 Blockbuster gift card for your troubles. (hey I'm a student
>>> still! ;-)
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>
>> Is it for a laptop or desktop? Mine was for a laptop, I told them
>> i'd buy it if I can try it and it works, and they had me come into
>> the repair/tech place, and had a card and software to try (I had the
>> regular MO software, new version has to be installed to work with
>> the new card and evdo)
>>
>> One minor problem, if you do any sort of networking (I have a
>> wireless network at home), there is a block in the new Mobile Office
>> (that works with that card) that prevents it from being used/shared
>> over a wired or wireless network. (so much for the idea of an always
>> on high speed internet server on my network.. :(

TRENDING THREADS