HELP!! From USB Bug.

G

I need Help! I've had a problem with getting my HP 5370c scanner working for 4 months. I messed with HP tech. help and they simply sent me a new scanner which still doesn't work. I think I've found my problem, but every solution I've tried doesn't work. I think my problem is that my USB ports shut off when accessed for more then a few seconds. My computer recognizes the items are there initially, but when I go to use the item such as the scanner or a joystick. They work then disappear and no power goes to the joystick and the scanner stops dead. When I try and reaccess the scanner it says "Scanner will not initialize" If I reboot the machine the scannner and joystick work again for a few seconds then disappear form accesiblity. I've got the USBFILTER patch from VIA that was still a no go. I tried it in Windows 98 and it still did the same thing What can I do??????? Here's my setup.

Windows 2000
AMD Atlon(t-bird)1000mhz
Biostar M7VKXB KT-133 (300w power supply)
*Promise ATA100 Controller
Hercules Geforce2/GTS 64MB
Pinnacle System DV500 capture card
Sound Blaster Live!Value
2 Maxtor 20GB ATA100 HDs
AOpen 56k modem
Sony CDRW
Pioneer DVD

*I read on VIA's site that there can be conflicts with controller cards that cause the USB to act funny. VIA said to turn off the on board control to the USB, but when I do that the USB doesn't appear at all. On Promise's site they said to flash the bios on the controller card and a new bios they had, but that had little if no effect.

One thing I think might have an effect is the ACPI on the motherboard?
I need HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

uncoando

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
w98se, right? If not, you should do it. Then reload bus master drivers. Then add usb support.
First, disable an unused comm port in the BIOS, you'll have greater resources to work with.
I had a hell of a time configuring an USB dongle on a ss7 FIC board. I berated it for a few hours and it has been in f00l compliance ever since.
USB is going to start looking pretty shabby pitted against firewire.
I wonder if w2k is emulating nt in its prejudice aginst usb?

<b><font color=blue>Brainy Sturgeon</b></font color=blue>

G

You've probably been through this already, but just in case you haven't....

I just spent about 15 minutes on HP's support site out of curosity because they seem to have a pretty bad reputation for Win2000 support. There seem to be quite a few "how to get a USB scanner working," FAQs, but they're all about Win98 and WinME. I'd do a search on the support site for your scanner model and usb and Win98(if you haven't already).

If you go to <A HREF="http://support.hp.com/showpage/id/bps03528.html#P8_2100" target="_new">http://support.hp.com/showpage/id/bps03528.html#P8_2100</A>, you'll see an October 20, 2000 article that mentions which scanners will work with Win2000. If you scroll down and click the link under your scanner, it pops you up to another link and a segment of text that says:

<b>Click here to register and automatically receive an e-mail notification of patches and software updates. By registering, you will receive regular updates via e-mail on when the Windows 2000 Professional support solution is ready and available for you to download. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.</b>

Don't know whether this is helpful or current, but it certainly implies that Win2K is currently not supported.

Disregard if it doesn't help.

Mike

G

I figured it out!! I disabled the USB error correction and Whamo everything flies. Screw You HP! You should have known this long ago.

G

Glad to hear it. Thanks for posting the fix. I've heard more HP and Win2K stories...

Mike