Having Windows XP on another hard drive

I want to install windows xp on my slave drive. The problem is that I don't
have a Windows XP CD. All I have are two restore cds (eMachines) the time I
got it [It's about 2-3 years since that time and I knew nothing]. Am I able
to use the restore cds on my slave drive? If I can't, is there a way to
install xp on my slave drive without having to buy a new Windows XP CD?

PS: In case someone's going to ask why I'm posting here, I can't contact my
vendor as I have no idea what my purchase information is.
3 answers Last reply
More about having windows hard drive

    No, you'll have to purchase a new copy of Windows XP
    if you wish to install it on a different drive.

    A Windows XP license only permits installing one (1)
    copy of Windows XP on one (1) computer. A second
    installation requires a second license.

    Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151

    Microsoft Windows XP Pro with SP2 Upgrade Software
    http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=37-116-192&DEPA=8

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    >I want to install windows xp on my slave drive. The problem is that I don't
    > have a Windows XP CD. All I have are two restore cds (eMachines) the time
    > got it [It's about 2-3 years since that time and I knew nothing]. Am I
    > able
    > to use the restore cds on my slave drive? If I can't, is there a way to
    > install xp on my slave drive without having to buy a new Windows XP CD?
    >

    > PS: In case someone's going to ask why I'm posting here, I can't contact
    > my
    > vendor as I have no idea what my purchase information is.

    If you're replacing a hard drive, the CDs would work, but they're likely
    just an image of the system, so they don't actually "install" they just copy
    the image to the drive. So if you put it on a second drive, it wouldn't work
    right, as all the information would be as though it was the first and only
    drive.

    Also, if you made the attempt to install to a second drive while the first
    was installed, the software would most likely just install to the first
    drive, because that's what it's designed to do.

    I have to question your reason for wanting 2 copies of XP. Certainly
    there are valid reasons, but I'm thinking you likely want to change
    your primary drive (ie, you're upgrading, your current primary is
    failing, etc). If so, just swap your primary/slave strapping, and
    install from your recover CDs.

    If you're in fact wanting a copy for backup purposes, I'd suggest you
    check your HDD vendor's site for copy apps; for my own backup
    strategy, I'm using MaxBlast, and simply copy the entire C: drive to
    the D: drive (both are Maxtor 20 gig drives). The nice thing about
    this is that there's no down time should the primary fail - just
    change primary/slave strapping, and I'm back online with all my data,
    apps, etc - no need to reinstall everything.

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:43:00 -0700, Dan
    <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I want to install windows xp on my slave drive. The problem is that I don't
    >have a Windows XP CD. All I have are two restore cds (eMachines) the time I
    >got it [It's about 2-3 years since that time and I knew nothing]. Am I able
    >to use the restore cds on my slave drive? If I can't, is there a way to
    >install xp on my slave drive without having to buy a new Windows XP CD?
    >

    >PS: In case someone's going to ask why I'm posting here, I can't contact my
    >vendor as I have no idea what my purchase information is.

    Note - to reply by email, please reformat the addressee (should be pretty obvious)

Slave Drive Hard Drives Windows XP Product