Problem with Add or Remove Programs module

Just curious if anyone has seen this problem before. When I use the Add or
Remove Programs module and get the list of programs and updates there is a
large break in the listing - blank space followed by black vertical lines and
then more blank space - until the listing resumes. I also notice other
modules not working well... the "Search' module just shows blank pages; Help
and Support won't even start. Maybe too many questions at once, but anything
that can get me started trying to resolve these issues will be greatly
appreciated.

Do the programs end at particular letter in the alphabet? A maybe? If so,
you may have a huge white space, scroll down in Add or Remove Programs to
see if this is the problem.

If it is...

Courtesy of Kelly
Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Add or Remove - White Space
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#ws

[[This is generally due to the DisplayIcon having a negative number. From
here you can either remove the negative number or remove the last
application listed:
Start/Run/Regedit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{} ]]

AutoCad Fix
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autocadaddremovefix.zip

Autodesk Land Desktop 3 Fix
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip

===

I have AutoCAD LT 2000i. The white space in Add or Remove Programs usually
shows up after the AutoCAD LT 2000i listing. If you want to tweak the
registry...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0065-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2000i\aclt.exe,-1

Notice the aclt.exe,-1?? You can change it to read aclt.exe,1

Or you can run one of the fixes. I have both autocadaddremovefix.zip &
autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip. They both include icons.
autocadaddremovefix.vbs is the one that works for me. It's easier to use
the fix than changing the -1.

I get the white space in Add or Remove Programs every time that I add or
remove a program. It isn't always AutoCAD LT that has the white space after
it, sometimes it's another program. At any rate, one of the fixes will
work. Until the next time. ;-)

autocadaddremovefix.vbs adds an autocad.ico icon to the %systemroot%\web
folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Value Data: %systemroot%\web\autocad.ico

autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.vbs adds an acad.ico icon to the
%systemroot%\web folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0138-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Value Data: %systemroot%\web\acad.ico
-----
***
From snowman...
AutoCAD 2002 is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
-----
***
From anonymous poster...

One application causes the problem for me. I just removed the reference to
that program in regedit and the black spot dissapeared.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:E474A6A2-F6D0-48B0-B62F-0D0A28046B41@microsoft.com,
BJDfromMiami <BJDfromMiami@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Just curious if anyone has seen this problem before. When I use the Add
> or Remove Programs module and get the list of programs and updates there
> is a large break in the listing - blank space followed by black vertical
> lines and then more blank space - until the listing resumes. I also
> notice other modules not working well... the "Search' module just shows
> blank pages; Help and Support won't even start. Maybe too many questions
> at once, but anything that can get me started trying to resolve these
> issues will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Wesley.
I did look into this lengthy explanation at kellys-korner, but I'm not sure
this is it. The reason given is the possibility of DisplayIcon having a
negative number. I looked at the Register for this ocurrance and I only
found a couple of instances where the DisplayIcon has a -0 at the end. I
eliminated the negative sign on both and the space is still there. I then
try to remove the item just before the llarge white space - Microsoft Data
Access Components KB870669 - by clicking the 'Remove' button and a warning
message appears "Invalid INF file" that does not allow to erase this MS
update.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
> that program in regedit and the black spot dissapeared.
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:E474A6A2-F6D0-48B0-B62F-0D0A28046B41@microsoft.com,
> BJDfromMiami <BJDfromMiami@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Just curious if anyone has seen this problem before. When I use the Add
> > or Remove Programs module and get the list of programs and updates there
> > is a large break in the listing - blank space followed by black vertical
> > lines and then more blank space - until the listing resumes. I also
> > notice other modules not working well... the "Search' module just shows
> > blank pages; Help and Support won't even start. Maybe too many questions
> > at once, but anything that can get me started trying to resolve these

It has been my experience the -0 ones may not be a problem. I've always had
a problem with -1. This is certainly not carved in stone. Nobody really
knows for sure what all causes this problem. Not all the fixes seem to work
for everybody.

Go here...
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/utils/

At the bottom of the page is ARPNegCheck.vbs. It lists all negative icon
references in Add/Remove. Download it and double click it to run the
script.

It creates a log file called NegativeIcons.txt in the same folders as the
script was launched from. It makes searching the registry a lot easier.

I have four items listed, three with -0 and one with -1. The -1 is AutoCAD
LT 2000i, the problem one.

After any negative items are changed. Reboot. Then open Add or Remove
Programs and see if the problem still remains.

Quite often you have to reboot for any registry changes to take affect.
-----

Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Click on the ? Icon to Expand

[?] Why doesn't Search work?

And/or here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm
Scroll down to:
Search - Doesn't Work
-----

Troubleshooting problems with Help and Support Center
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpctr.htm

Have a look here...

Read instructions at the top
Scroll down to:
235. Restore Help and Support Service

Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Click on the ? Icon to Expand

[?] Why doesn't Help and Support work?

Fix Windows XP Help
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fixwinxphelp.htm