CU Celeron On Asus P2L97?

G

Has anyone here ever been able to get a Coppermine core Celeron to run on an Asus P2L97 Motherboard? (Or any other LX chipset motherboard?) I have a slotkey that supports core voltage adjustment and the motherboard regulator will go down to 1.8Vcore. I also have the latest bios availible. (Version 1010 beta 3)

If it will run at all, will the Celeron's locked multiplier automatically set it to run at it's rated speed? I have a 533 PPGA Celeron running now, but the board is only meant to run up to a 466 PPGA Celeron.

Thanks in advance!

G

I guess you're looking for someone that has tried although you've already looked Asus' site and it most probably says you mobo won't run a Cel II.
Don't know if it will help, but I've been looking for a mobo that supported Cels II in a PC junk store (sells old material for almost nothing without guaranty). It's very easy to get your hands on a Lx board there so I did some research in the web about quite a few Lx mobos and NONE of the ones I looked up was able to run a Cel II. Seems like chipset is too old and manufactures don't give a damn on spending good money to develope BIOSes for such old mobos. I'm not 100% sure about this negative answer but it's a good guess.

Anyway Bx are old and it may not be so hard to find one for free(friend upgrading) or almost (store), I found an Abit BH6. Good luck

Saludos a todos

G

Thanks for the 2 cents.

Guess I'm gonna try this myself and will report results for anyone who is curious. Getting an lx chipset system to run a celeron 733 or 766 is pretty enticing. This is like a 3x speed improvement if it can be done.

Sure, one can go out and buy a asus a7v and a duron and overclock willy nilly, but I'm considering the concept of just swapping the cpu, that way you don't have to spend 2 weeks reinstalling windows, reinstalling drivers, reinstalling software, reinstalling updates... you get the picture!

Even if the lx with a celeron cu is a bust, most of the boards can support up to the 533 ppga with a bios upgrade. Even this is good for a circa 1996/1997 chipset that supports the same graphics cards a brand new system does today!

Anyone else who is considering this?

G

Hi, I just read a post (Toms' comunity CPUs) related to P2 stuff and somebody threw in a link you may find interesting if you're still planning on that upgrade (you may allready have done it). I just thought this was opposite to what I suggested and since it may help you, you should know.
http://208.55.249.79/PL-iP3/index.html

Saludos a todos