Mass Effect 3

tha1

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Anyone got it yet? Any good? I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned in the forums.... Currently replaying the first and second one in anticipation for the Friday release in the EU. Anyone else? :bounce:

NITROGEnarcosis

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
I've played a little, working for a living keeps getting in the way. So far it has been great. The first mission is strait out of the demo with minimal/no changes. But it rapidly picks up pace. The first few missions start fleshing out the story pretty quickly and it seems to flow well so far.

neal0790

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Ive played it for like 4 hours last night. So far its been pretty good, done about 4 missions so far. Just got to the mission which is pretty much the second part of the demo so i turned it off. Going to start playing again in a few minutes.

NITROGEnarcosis

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Do the main story quests become less linear, aka more at the same time. I am picking up plenty of side quests but so far the main quests are do this then do this. Granted I am still very early in the game. Also, how many of the side quests are timed and how does this work?

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Hate to say it but I got an opportunity to play this a couple of hours ago and one thing I notice is after going back through Witcher 2 a bit, Mass Effect 3 pretty much feels like it is legitimately insulting your intelligence at every turn. =/

neal0790

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
The missions so far are pretty varied. The main story missions seem a little mundane. I feel like im going in circles a bit, every time i help someone out they seem to want more and more but its not that bad. Ive done a few side missions which have so far been good, theres a good rhyme and reason behind doing them. I hope i get to go back to earth soon and check things out. Kind of feels like i should be helping them out more then doing errands for everyone else. I know its to gain allies, but a feel like by the time i get everything together earth is going to be whipped out..lol

Casual, thats how I was with ME2 levelling after every single mission provided you survived, no benefit for doing well or badly that kind of thing. And the psuedo choices at the end. I'm hoping ME3 is better. From what I understand of the multiplayer thats the much vaunted 'taking part in the larger battle', very dumbed down.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

I hate to tell you that you should expect exactly what you're predicting, but it seems like that is the case. Please let Bioshock Infinite not suck is all I can say.

tha1

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

is it that much of a letdown? so should i save my money on something else?

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

I haven't gone through very much of the game and thankfully I wasn't the one who bought it, but to answer you honestly from what I've seen I would say pass on it. It is entirely possible that it becomes awesome later in the game, but somehow I just don't see it happening. It's not very deep, and in the wake of Witcher 2, Mass Effect's decision making is pretty low brow.

neal0790

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I dont know why people are complaining so much about it on metacritic. I read some of the reviews and i honestly think people are just jumping on the band wagon to rip apart the game. Im 8 hours in, if you enjoyed mass effect 2, get mass effect 3 its the same thing. If you were expecting it to be like the first one, then pass. After 8 hours in i would rate this game a 9. Its the same game as mass effect 2, and everyone b*tched and moaned about it at first then once the dust settle they realized it was a good game. They removed a few things but its nothing game breaking the story is still there, the dialog is still there, the exploration is still there. Half the people on there said they beat the game already. If you beat the game already you obviously rushed though it and dont have a knowledge to review it if you ask me. If you like mass effect then buy the game for $60, if you are on the edge wait till it goes to $40 either way its a good buy. I bought the $80 version and dont feel like it was a waist of money to me. Im enjoying it so far.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I'm still waiting on the release in the UK (it's sitting on my HDD ready to go), but it's interesting that people want to compare ME3 to a game like Witcher 2...that's like comparing apples to oranges, IMHO. It's not as if ME2 was an amazingly deep game and ME3 was a complete dumbing-down. That would be an issue. As far as I'm concerned, I'm after more of the same (albeit I'm expecting some tweaks)...my main reason for getting ME3 is to see how the story ends. Having gone from ME and ME2, and all the associated build-up, I think that's the more important thing to bear in mind.

Thats the point, its the same game. Exploration!, you're told where to go if its like ME2. The reason that everyone stopped complaining about ME2is that they had no choice, nothing would be done, they'd already brought it, so they'd may as well play it. Do you level up after every single mission, or do you actually get rewarded based on how well you've done?

Ah well, guess I'll wait for the sale on origin, it sounds like its not worth full price, maybe 75% off.

As to the comparisons with the Witcher 2, loved witcher 1, couldn't get on with Witcher 2, suspect dying every 10s had something to do with it, I'd over estimated my combat abilities, so time to turn the difficulty down I think.

But ME2 was a step down from ME1 in terms of gameplay.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

To be clear, I'm comparing the entire Mass Effect series to Witcher 2. Mass Effect marketed itself so much around the cutting edge story-defining decision making process, but after seeing it executed far better in another title (Witcher 2 in this case) it really just makes Mass Effect in general as a game design seem kind of crappy. It would be awesome if I was 13 or 14, but I'm not and I can't overlook how poor the writing in Mass Effect really is. The entire series at that. But compared within its own series, ME3 doesn't compare to ME1 from what I saw, and is somewhat similar to ME2 which may or may not be saying much, depending on whether or not you are a fan of ME2 or not.

NITROGEnarcosis

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
@oldmangamer_73 There are more powers per char than ME2 but slightly less than ME1. Singularity is still very much present. The adept should have it but my sentinel does not.

Overall, the game allows for more customization of your char than ME2 but keeps the faster pace of combat. The addition of dodging is actually nice, I thought it wouldn't be a real difference but I am pleasantly surprised. Constant movement and flanking seem to work a lot better, along with the greater z axis freedom allow for more tactical gameplay.

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
I just go to the part in the begining where i am about to take the normandy out for the first time.

i did import my ME2 profile and character, but had to change her hair color and wanted to make her an infiltrator vs a combat machine this time.

she walks with the fluidity of a bull a lovely person, not feminine as in ME2 - seems more like a generalized type walk versus a male stride, vs a female stride/walk - LAMEO!!!.

Also her face is NOT as pretty in ME3 as she was in ME2, but pretty close.

Also facial expressions 50% of the time remind me of Chickie the killer doll. I SWEAR!!! other times its ok, but stiill not as good as ME2 - i personally think Bioware dropped the ball on these issues. It COULD be because i am using a Russian version - language modded to English. I am also running with the DLC.

pnico

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
can you guys tell me how I command my squad to go to a certain spot? I barely saw the hint that came up on the screen that talks about the spacebar being the key to hit.
Do I tap it?
can anyone point me in a direction for this?
Id appreciate it..

thank you

waspzz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Despite a lot of issues with its release, specially the part where people that are NOT playing Online has a disadvantage in terms of war assets and that most players who finished it got a bad ending due to the fact, Im liking it so far.
The new features added like armor and gun customization is a nice touch. Though the graphics look darker and dirtier compared to ME2. I still like the clean and slick graphics of ME2.
Gameplay wise, shooting seems a bit more satisfying. The way the guns fire and the sound is more solid, not so futuristic and laser like anymore, which is a good thing.
The best part is, same as the previous games, the game still conveys a lot of emotion. Much like watching a sci fi movie. Plus the familiarity with recurring characters, the reflections of the decisions that you made from ME1 and ME2, the game is still worth it. This is No "Dragon Age 2"..Its a solid conclusion to the trilogy, which i hope wouldnt end. Cause really, there is no other game like this. the only similar game in terms of story line and interaction is Dragon Age and Witcher 2. So i hope after this, more games would be like Mass Effect where in you have particiapation on how the story and the characters would develop. =)

jonathanrhunter

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007
I happen to enjoy playing it. It feels like it plays more fluid regarding the gameplay aspects. The graphics are okay for a console port. It's really these console ports that are holding back the PC industry... time for a console war again. It's always been the PC industry running the best stuff. Now when games come out we are going back to graphic settings that are playable by XBOX 360 and PS3 standards. I think all console ports should come with a mandatory hi-res pack so my GTX 580 can feel some burn.