Safe Mode Problems: Can't Log-in

Help!

I tried to reboot my computer into safe mode so I could erase some spyware
from my computer. I rebooted into safe mode, and when I try to log-in, it
won't accept my password for some reason. I have tried every password
combination I can think of for as long as I have owned this computer, and for
some reason none of them work.

Now, I am stuck at the log-in screen for safe mode and can't go anywhere. I
can't figure out how to go back to the normal mode (I've tried restarting and
hitting F8, and choosing to restart normally, but that doesn't work), and I
can't get passed the login screen.

The only thing I can think of is I started working for a company as an
independant contractor a few months back, and their IT guy put some software
on my computer (including Exchange server) and that somehow he changed my
administrative settings. But, I can't get a hold of him, and I am nothing
without my computer!

Do I have to wait for him to call me back, in hopes that he has
login/password information, or is there a way to bypass this and at least get
back into my normal settings?

If anyone can help shed some light on this for me, I would greatly
appreciate it. I am not very computer literate, but unfortunately I know
enough to be dangerous to myself!
2 answers Last reply
More about safe mode problems

    Reset the password for the local administrator account

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Erik L." wrote:
    | Help!
    |
    | I tried to reboot my computer into safe mode so I could erase some spyware
    | from my computer. I rebooted into safe mode, and when I try to log-in, it
    | won't accept my password for some reason. I have tried every password
    | combination I can think of for as long as I have owned this computer, and
    for
    | some reason none of them work.
    |
    | Now, I am stuck at the log-in screen for safe mode and can't go anywhere.
    | can't figure out how to go back to the normal mode (I've tried restarting
    and
    | hitting F8, and choosing to restart normally, but that doesn't work), and
    | can't get passed the login screen.
    |
    | The only thing I can think of is I started working for a company as an
    | independant contractor a few months back, and their IT guy put some
    software
    | on my computer (including Exchange server) and that somehow he changed my
    | administrative settings. But, I can't get a hold of him, and I am nothing
    | without my computer!
    |
    | Do I have to wait for him to call me back, in hopes that he has
    | login/password information, or is there a way to bypass this and at least
    get
    | back into my normal settings?
    |
    | If anyone can help shed some light on this for me, I would greatly
    | appreciate it. I am not very computer literate, but unfortunately I know
    | enough to be dangerous to myself!

    Why can't you boot to normal mode. Safe and normal have the same passwords.

    "Erik L." <ErikL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4627B87B-6042-4387-8447-4D734A8AF808@microsoft.com...
    > Help!
    >
    > I tried to reboot my computer into safe mode so I could erase some spyware
    > from my computer. I rebooted into safe mode, and when I try to log-in, it
    > won't accept my password for some reason. I have tried every password
    > combination I can think of for as long as I have owned this computer, and for
    > some reason none of them work.
    >
    > Now, I am stuck at the log-in screen for safe mode and can't go anywhere. I
    > can't figure out how to go back to the normal mode (I've tried restarting and
    > hitting F8, and choosing to restart normally, but that doesn't work), and I
    > can't get passed the login screen.
    >
    > The only thing I can think of is I started working for a company as an
    > independant contractor a few months back, and their IT guy put some software
    > on my computer (including Exchange server) and that somehow he changed my
    > administrative settings. But, I can't get a hold of him, and I am nothing
    > without my computer!
    >
    > Do I have to wait for him to call me back, in hopes that he has
    > login/password information, or is there a way to bypass this and at least get
    > back into my normal settings?
    >
    > If anyone can help shed some light on this for me, I would greatly
    > appreciate it. I am not very computer literate, but unfortunately I know
    > enough to be dangerous to myself!

Safe Mode Login Computers Windows XP