HAL.DLL IS MISSING OR CORRUPT (XP SP2)

I AM TRYING TO REPLACE THE HDD ON MY LAPTOP TO UPGRADE IT FROM 30GB TO 80GB.
I HAVE USED THE LATEST NORTON GHOST V 9 SEVERAL TIMES TO TRANSFER THE ENTIRE
CONTENTS OVER. I HAVE TRIED KEEPING THE NEW PARTITIONS SAME SIZE AS THE
ORIGINAL AND ALSO A LARGER SIZE. HOWEVER,
EACH ATTEMPT TO BOOT UP WITH JUST THE NEW HDD FAILS WITH THE HAL.DLL FILE
PROBLEM. HAVE TRIED USING RECOVERY CONSOLE TO EXPAND THE FILE FROM THE
ORIGINAL XP CD AND VARIOUS OTHER EVER DESPERATE ATTEMPTS BUT NOT GOT ANY
BETTER! PREVIOUSLY TRIED SAME WITH NORTON GHOST V4 AND GOT "NTLDR IS MISSING
OR CORRUPT". THERE IS SOMETHING VERY STRANGE ABOUT XP INDEED!
--
GENUINE REPLIES ONLY PLEASE. THANK YOU.
3 answers Last reply

    "upgradepc" <upgradepc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I AM TRYING TO REPLACE THE HDD ON MY LAPTOP TO UPGRADE IT FROM 30GB TO
    >80GB.
    > I HAVE USED THE LATEST NORTON GHOST V 9 SEVERAL TIMES TO TRANSFER THE
    > ENTIRE
    > CONTENTS OVER. I HAVE TRIED KEEPING THE NEW PARTITIONS SAME SIZE AS THE
    > ORIGINAL AND ALSO A LARGER SIZE. HOWEVER,
    > EACH ATTEMPT TO BOOT UP WITH JUST THE NEW HDD FAILS WITH THE HAL.DLL FILE
    > PROBLEM. HAVE TRIED USING RECOVERY CONSOLE TO EXPAND THE FILE FROM THE
    > ORIGINAL XP CD AND VARIOUS OTHER EVER DESPERATE ATTEMPTS BUT NOT GOT ANY
    > BETTER! PREVIOUSLY TRIED SAME WITH NORTON GHOST V4 AND GOT "NTLDR IS
    > MISSING
    > OR CORRUPT". THERE IS SOMETHING VERY STRANGE ABOUT XP INDEED!
    > --
    > GENUINE REPLIES ONLY PLEASE. THANK YOU.

    First, turn off your CAPS LOCK key. Posting in all caps is the Usenet
    equivalent of SHOUTING, and is considered very rude. It also makes your
    post very hard to read. Many helpful people who peruse these newsgroups
    will often ignore a post in all caps.

    You should simply use Google to find your answer.

    Here is one way of fixing your problem...if it does not work, simply Google
    "hall.dll missing or corrupt" and you will find plenty of information on the
    subject;

    http://www.compphix.com/corrupthal.html

    Bobby

    "upgradepc" <upgradepc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I AM TRYING TO REPLACE THE HDD ON MY LAPTOP TO UPGRADE IT FROM 30GB TO
    >80GB.
    > I HAVE USED THE LATEST NORTON GHOST V 9 SEVERAL TIMES TO TRANSFER THE
    > ENTIRE
    > CONTENTS OVER. I HAVE TRIED KEEPING THE NEW PARTITIONS SAME SIZE AS THE
    > ORIGINAL AND ALSO A LARGER SIZE. HOWEVER,
    > EACH ATTEMPT TO BOOT UP WITH JUST THE NEW HDD FAILS WITH THE HAL.DLL FILE
    > PROBLEM. HAVE TRIED USING RECOVERY CONSOLE TO EXPAND THE FILE FROM THE
    > ORIGINAL XP CD AND VARIOUS OTHER EVER DESPERATE ATTEMPTS BUT NOT GOT ANY
    > BETTER! PREVIOUSLY TRIED SAME WITH NORTON GHOST V4 AND GOT "NTLDR IS
    > MISSING
    > OR CORRUPT". THERE IS SOMETHING VERY STRANGE ABOUT XP INDEED!
    > --
    > GENUINE REPLIES ONLY PLEASE. THANK YOU.

    In addition to my earlier reply, you really should use a newsreader to
    access this group. It will make it much easier to locate your post, and any
    replies made to it, and you will be able to read the entire "thread" as a
    single unit. Using the web interface, as you are doing, is cumbersome at
    best.

    Bobby

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "upgradepc" wrote:

    | I AM TRYING TO REPLACE THE HDD ON MY LAPTOP TO UPGRADE IT FROM 30GB TO 80GB.
    | I HAVE USED THE LATEST NORTON GHOST V 9 SEVERAL TIMES TO TRANSFER THE ENTIRE
    | CONTENTS OVER. I HAVE TRIED KEEPING THE NEW PARTITIONS SAME SIZE AS THE
    | ORIGINAL AND ALSO A LARGER SIZE. HOWEVER,
    | EACH ATTEMPT TO BOOT UP WITH JUST THE NEW HDD FAILS WITH THE HAL.DLL FILE
    | PROBLEM. HAVE TRIED USING RECOVERY CONSOLE TO EXPAND THE FILE FROM THE
    | ORIGINAL XP CD AND VARIOUS OTHER EVER DESPERATE ATTEMPTS BUT NOT GOT ANY
    | BETTER! PREVIOUSLY TRIED SAME WITH NORTON GHOST V4 AND GOT "NTLDR IS MISSING
    | OR CORRUPT". THERE IS SOMETHING VERY STRANGE ABOUT XP INDEED!
    | --
    | GENUINE REPLIES ONLY PLEASE. THANK YOU.

Hard Drives Windows XP