Gaming Capabilities on an Acer Aspire?

ohaider

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Hey, thanks for taking the time to try and lend me a hand!

Well I guess...

FIRST THINGS FIRST!!
Specs on the Acer Aspire 5742-6643:
--Intel Core i5-480M -- 2.7 GHz
--6 GB DDR3 Memory
--500 GB HDD
--Intel(R) HD Onboard Graphics Chipset:
-------1.7 GB Video Ram
-------4.0 Pixel and Vertex Shader Versions
-------Hardware T&L Capability
-------DX 10.1
--Basic Input-Output system: Insyde H2O (Acer) V1.22

Now, I used System Requirements Lab to test, and I'm just missing the minimum requirements on most games, however I'm assuming I can probably play them on EXTREMELY LOW settings.
Am I correct? I'm looking into just basic stuff to kill time on the plane, or train, or car...
Fallout 3, Borderlands, maybe Bioshock 2 or Aliens vs Predators. Something like that. I mean... I got a console to play newer games anyways, like BF3, Syndicate, and ME3 (Killer EA Year? At least I don't have to deal with that EULA...)

I average a decent 40-60 fps on games like Counter-Strike Source, HL2DM, and Team Fortress 2, depending on ping and server loc.
Also average a consistent 18-30 in L4D2, significant drops with big, processed hordes, esp. when singleplayer.
RTS is seamless (is that even worth mentioning these days? :p)

I've heard these crappy on board set ups can actually work alright depending on the game and the settings... Just curious, ever since I got rid of my desktop, been thinking about having some fun with other games on here.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

are you looking to do the gaming on the battery? that won't last you very long unless you have access to an outlet.

RTS are seamless? does that include SC2?

By your assumption yes, if you fall short of required minimum settings you might be able to run the game on lowest graphical settings and decreased resolution, but how good the FPS will be is anyone's guess.

I would say stick to source engine games and such, your computer will not do well with newer engines.

roboprod

Reputable
May 11, 2014
It is possible to play tf2 or counter-strike source, specially counter-strike source on aspire 5742.
I got my self an aspire 5742 with 4 gb of ram abd 320 gb HDD and i3-380M cpu although the same graphics card and i can run counter-strike on high settings capped to 100 fps, although you HAVE to change the in-game resolution to be able to get such fps.

You can also play tf2 with slight fps drops but majorly with 70 fps (NOTE: if you are going to cap it, cap it atleast up to 70 fps due to cmd rate being 66). You can acomplish these fps by using max fps config which im posting a link on at the end of this thread.

I currently do not own l4d2 so i can't help you with it, but i can help you with garry's mod and portal 2 as i am able to play them with consitent frame rate

tf2 fps config : https://chrisdown.name/tf2/ (check how to install using the new steam pipe update on youtube)

Roboprod