Athlon 1.1 ghz processor temps?

Magneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi folks..
I just finished building my Athlon T-bird 1100 and Asus A7V mobo, rev.1.02. I wonder if anyone can tell me what an average operating temperature for the processor is? I know Athlons tend to run hot, but although I find lots of articles showing really good cooling solutions, I've yet to find any info about what the safe operating ranges are. My "no name" cooler is supposed to be rated up to a 1.4 ghz, and my operating temps right now are hoving between about 118 and 130 degrees F. I ran the system for a few hours without my side cover on, and both case fans and processor fan purring. It never went above 125 degrees or so.. but with my case cover back on, I'm running hotter.The Asusprobe shows the original warning thresholds to be much higher. I was assured that this cooler/heatsink was going to be adequate, and I did get a good fit between my sink and my processor.
I've seen that running cool is about 105 degrees or so.. anybody know the upper limits?
Thanks a million.. Happy Thanksgiving..
Phil

G

Yes I am also pretty concerned. I too have a 1.1 gig Athlon and it is clocking in around 50c (122f). Which really makes me worried. Does anyone have info on average temps for this CPU?

G

I have heard that the durons and t-birds have a ceiling of like 90C before they get toasted. When i first got my asus a7v and my duron 700. In the bios the temps always read 10C cooler. I downloaded motherboard monitor and it also read 10C cooler then the asus probe readings did. My cpu temp was still at 49C and i didn't really care for it running that hot. i bought a globalwin fop38 38cfm hsf combo and two 120mm 85cfm case fans. My temps now are at 24C and 34C. Which to me is much more reasonable. I have the duron running at 850 at default vcore voltage of 1.475. I had it up to 1059.42 and it ran stable for quite a little while but didn't shut down properly and not being a extreme overclocker i set it back down to where i figured to be a more safer setting. Long story short here, a case fan will help the overall temps and a good hsf will help even more. Lapping the heatsink and adding a thermal paste will also help and a program like rain or cpuidle will too. Good luck.

Please don't hate me cause i'm beautiful!!!

Magneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Kam,
Another reader replied to my posting and told me that after emailing AMD for the info, they informed him that the Athlon was ok up to about 70 degree C/158 degrees F. My retailer assured me that the heatsink/fan unit was the same one they use on their T-bird systems, and I guess it's is doing it's job ok for now. It's just that I guess that I have become so obsessed with keeping it cool. Heat=bad.. Cool=good.. lol
I didn't add any extra thermal paste when installing my sink either. I checked to make sure that I got a good fitup when installing it. I might break it down and go with the paste just to see what happens.
Phil
Corpus Christi,TX

Magneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Knight,
I've been looking at the fop38, along with a Tai-sol, and the Alpha pal6035. My "no-name" is keeping my 1.1 T-bird running at about 50 degrees C when I'm pushing it, and I have a front and an exhaust case fan. My only peeve is that my power supply (although rated power-wise), doesn't have the bottom air intake like AMD recommends. And seeing how it sits right above the processor, it would have to be a really good idea to have a bottom intake power supply. That one little improvement would really pull hot air out of the case.
So far so good. My 'bird is running very stable with my memory at 133, and I'm not overclocking at all.
By the way, my temps in both the BIOS and probe read exactly the same all the time. I didn't add any paste to the heatsink before installing it. It already had the thermal pad/compound, and I went with that. I've never heard of lapping one, but I am a newbie..
Thanks for your suggestions.
Phil
Corpus Christi, TX

G

Magneto,

Thanks for the info. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. But, like you it sorta still freaks me out to see temps that high.

Wierd thing is that now my CPU is posting around 32- 33c today and I wonder if my Abit KT7-RAID is posting correct temps. That is certainly a big difference from yesterday.

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just asked this same question in another post and decided my Tbird 900 @ 997.5 was running way too hot.
I was hitting 55/131 under load. I took my delta and removed the wire guard and mounted it back on my FOP 38 this time blowing away form the CPU into a scoop and out the exhaust fan.
What a difference, now I max out at 41/105.
Also I have noticed when I install the back cover on my case the grill block some air flow and raises the temp to 43/109.
I’m going to cut away all air obstructions and hopefully make it quieter at the same time.
Cya