Restoring default XP SP2 registry keys

I was not able to install a new version of an engineering software package
because something was left behind in the registry from the older version that
I had removed. So I stupidly deleted a couple of registry keys that looked
related to the software without documenting them (not just the tags, but the
folders with the long alphanumeric strings). Now when I try to install the
software it gives me an error. I ran system restore but the problem is still
there (I don't think it restored the registry keys I deleted). Is there a
way to install all of the default Windows SP2 registry keys or to download
and reinstall SP2 in general?

Thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about restoring default registry keys

    I remember learning that you can use the Recovery Console on a Windows XP CD
    to restore a kind of default registry to your computer. This keeps the data
    safe and all you have to do is re-install your apps.

    "ramblinwreck79" <ramblinwreck79@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I was not able to install a new version of an engineering software package
    > because something was left behind in the registry from the older version
    > that
    > I had removed. So I stupidly deleted a couple of registry keys that
    > looked
    > related to the software without documenting them (not just the tags, but
    > the
    > folders with the long alphanumeric strings). Now when I try to install
    > the
    > software it gives me an error. I ran system restore but the problem is
    > still
    > there (I don't think it restored the registry keys I deleted). Is there a
    > way to install all of the default Windows SP2 registry keys or to download
    > and reinstall SP2 in general?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Thanks! That sounds like it would solve the problem. Unfortunately, my
    Windows XP install CD is not with SP2 (the plain XP Pro CD came with my Dell
    laptop) and it won't let me run it since the current OS (with SP2) is newer
    than the CD). I looked everywhere on Microsoft's website, but I couldn't
    find anywhere that would let me download the SP2 version. Do I have to
    resort to buying a Windows XP CD with SP2 or is there somewhere online that
    anyone knows about where I might be able to download the recovery console
    without having to purchase an operating system I already have? Thanks again.
    I appreciate it!!

    "John Tiesi" wrote:

    > I remember learning that you can use the Recovery Console on a Windows XP CD
    > to restore a kind of default registry to your computer. This keeps the data
    > safe and all you have to do is re-install your apps.
    >
    > "ramblinwreck79" <ramblinwreck79@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I was not able to install a new version of an engineering software package
    > > because something was left behind in the registry from the older version
    > > that
    > > I had removed. So I stupidly deleted a couple of registry keys that
    > > looked
    > > related to the software without documenting them (not just the tags, but
    > > the
    > > folders with the long alphanumeric strings). Now when I try to install
    > > the
    > > software it gives me an error. I ran system restore but the problem is
    > > still
    > > there (I don't think it restored the registry keys I deleted). Is there a
    > > way to install all of the default Windows SP2 registry keys or to download
    > > and reinstall SP2 in general?
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    look on internet on tips how to create new windows CD with SP2.

    > Thanks! That sounds like it would solve the problem. Unfortunately, my
    > Windows XP install CD is not with SP2 (the plain XP Pro CD came with my
    Dell
    > laptop) and it won't let me run it since the current OS (with SP2) is
    newer
    > than the CD). I looked everywhere on Microsoft's website, but I couldn't
    > find anywhere that would let me download the SP2 version. Do I have to
    > resort to buying a Windows XP CD with SP2 or is there somewhere online
    that
    > anyone knows about where I might be able to download the recovery console
    > without having to purchase an operating system I already have? Thanks
    again.
    > I appreciate it!!
    >
    > "John Tiesi" wrote:
    >
    > > I remember learning that you can use the Recovery Console on a Windows
    XP CD
    > > to restore a kind of default registry to your computer. This keeps the
    data
    > > safe and all you have to do is re-install your apps.
    > >
    > > "ramblinwreck79" <ramblinwreck79@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    > > >I was not able to install a new version of an engineering software
    package
    > > > because something was left behind in the registry from the older
    version
    > > > that
    > > > I had removed. So I stupidly deleted a couple of registry keys that
    > > > looked
    > > > related to the software without documenting them (not just the tags,
    but
    > > > the
    > > > folders with the long alphanumeric strings). Now when I try to
    install
    > > > the
    > > > software it gives me an error. I ran system restore but the problem
    is
    > > > still
    > > > there (I don't think it restored the registry keys I deleted). Is
    there a
    > > > way to install all of the default Windows SP2 registry keys or to
    download
    > > > and reinstall SP2 in general?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks!

Software Registry Windows XP