Closed Solved

Skyrim FPS affected by MODs or Environment?

Last night I noticed Skyrim FPS drop from 60 to 30-40. I haven't checked FPS for quite some time, so I am not sure what's behind, although I suspect a few.

- Lots of vegetation: I happened to play in the middle of woods and bushes. When I entered into a cave right next, FPS jumped up back to 60. But previously when I was playing in similar environment, I didn't feel big change in FPS, although I didn't check actual reading.

- MODs: I downloaded 11 MODs. They are like Dragonfalls Manor, Dragonbone Armor, Wild sound, Hi-res snow, etc... nothing grande. Can any MOD affect FPS?

Here is my spec

i5 2400
MSI H67
DDR3 8 GB 1333MHz
EVGA GTX 560 Ti 448 @840 MHz 295.73 WHQL
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
1920 x 1080 DVI
Ultra (GTX 570 Recommended setup)
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about skyrim affected mods environment
  1. GPU temp was steady under 60C, so the heat was not an issue. I've been playing hi-res since it was available, and didn't have (at least didn't notice) tje FPS issue. I will try to run it without MODs tonight.
  2. Best answer
    you've listed 4/11 mods, as mentioned, depending on what the mod actually does it can impact the performance

background processes can also impact the performance
  3. Which Mods do you really reccomend, M8?

Cheers,
    André
  4. "Background process"

The culprit was Avira popup windows. When the FPS hit 30, I exited to Windows, found the Avira ad, closed it, and it went back to 60. Great. But the background process didn't impact FPS inside cave.
  5. Best answer selected by MKBL.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming FPS Skyrim Video Games