Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Initial Chrome OS Cr-48 Hardware Impressions

Last response: in News comments
December 13, 2010 5:48:29 PM

Really love the minimalist design here. I haven't really fallen for the idea of Chrome OS, but the hardware itself looks awesome.

A little meatier CPU would be better in my mind (ULV i3 perhaps), but other than that I think they nailed it.
Score
December 13, 2010 5:59:41 PM

I am not sure if I like this. Looks like a Macbook and a Macbook Air had a kid that was deformed because it did not have a dvi port but grew a vga port instead.

I am interested in checking out the OS but this hardware is a strange animal given what is out there today.
Score
December 13, 2010 6:01:18 PM

burnley14Really love the minimalist design here. I haven't really fallen for the idea of Chrome OS, but the hardware itself looks awesome.A little meatier CPU would be better in my mind (ULV i3 perhaps), but other than that I think they nailed it.

Agreed and agreed. Simplicity is beautiful, and the only improvement I can think is a ULV C2D or i3, and maybe 4GB of RAM just because it's so damn cheap (for those of us who want to dual boot Windows, though I found Win7 x64 to be perfectly fine with a Pentium D and 1GB DDR2). For something like this, the IGP on a i3 would be perfectly fine.

I don't care if it's only a dev model, I still want one. :) 
Score
December 13, 2010 6:08:15 PM

it better be 200.00...
Score
Anonymous
December 13, 2010 6:19:29 PM

Just to clear up any confusion on the Wi-Fi and 3G parts:

The Wi-Fi is handled by the Atheros 9280 part from AzureWave and the Verizon 3G by the Gobi 2000 part from Novatel.

-Chrome Team Member
Score
December 13, 2010 6:34:08 PM

Travis BeaneAgreed and agreed. Simplicity is beautiful, and the only improvement I can think is a ULV C2D or i3, and maybe 4GB of RAM just because it's so damn cheap (for those of us who want to dual boot Windows, though I found Win7 x64 to be perfectly fine with a Pentium D and 1GB DDR2). For something like this, the IGP on a i3 would be perfectly fine.I don't care if it's only a dev model, I still want one.

Agreed, Agreed, Agreed, however supposedly it will not be possible to put a Win os on it says Google, but then again I'm sure some clever 12 year old will figure it out.

Sweet/cheap(hopefully) netbooks for all!!
Score
December 13, 2010 6:35:42 PM

Damn nice. What the OLPC should have been.
Score
December 13, 2010 6:35:43 PM

Chrome Team MemberJust to clear up any confusion on the Wi-Fi and 3G parts:The Wi-Fi is handled by the Atheros 9280 part from AzureWave and the Verizon 3G by the Gobi 2000 part from Novatel.-Chrome Team Member

Thanks for clarifying, Chrome Team Member!
Score
December 13, 2010 6:36:43 PM

I understand the push to the cloud, but even HTML5 requires some processing power, is that single-core atom going to be capable, or is this going to be just another underpowered netbook? My wife has an Aspire-One, and it chops a little with basic videos on YouTube (could be Windows, could be flash, who knows). Just because its from Google doesn't mean sub-standard hardware is going to cut it. Though, if other manufacturers put in more capable hardware, I suppose it will ease my concerns.
Score
December 13, 2010 6:49:23 PM

But, without a logo, how will people know that I'm better than them and the products they associate with aren't as good as mine?
Score
December 13, 2010 6:52:12 PM

"Borrowing another Apple design, the trackpad on the Cr-48 is one big clickable surface. "

First "another"? I hope you're not talking about SONY'S keyboard chiclet design that Apple copied?

Second - I HATE HATE HATE the 1 large mouse-pad. Sure it looks nice but I dont want the mouse moving (even the slightest) when I'm trying to click.
Its a nice looking design but functionally stupid!
Score
December 13, 2010 6:56:26 PM

ap3xI am not sure if I like this. Looks like a Macbook and a Macbook Air had a kid that was deformed because it did not have a dvi port but grew a vga port instead. I am interested in checking out the OS but this hardware is a strange animal given what is out there today.

I would like to see them do away with analog on this new initiative. They could probably stack a DisplayPort on top of an HDMI port in the same amount of space as that VGA.
Score
December 13, 2010 6:57:19 PM

no stupid stickers, no stupid logo... a thin, edgy, black matte device

i... love it. tired of glossy surfaces that just attract finger prints, i'm also fonder of square looking objects... rounded edges are just ehh

reminds me of my black nintendo dsi... oh god it's so pretty
Score
December 13, 2010 6:58:16 PM

WHY OH WHY IS IT ON X86 ?

Even if it'll be cheaper than windows netbooks, people will buy them and put windows on them again.
Score
December 13, 2010 7:00:39 PM

jabberwolfI HATE HATE HATE the 1 large mouse-pad. Sure it looks nice but I dont want the mouse moving (even the slightest) when I'm trying to click.Its a nice looking design but functionally stupid!

Couldn't agree more. If it like super cost effective just make the one big track pad, then at least make like the bottom quarter inch not sensitive for cursor movement.

I do like the two finger scroll though.
Score
December 13, 2010 7:20:06 PM

Screen res? is it the famous 1366*768 ? or will they go newgen and start crafting scrolling marquees 15,360 x 96
Score
December 13, 2010 7:31:21 PM

nevertellWHY OH WHY IS IT ON X86 ? Even if it'll be cheaper than windows netbooks, people will buy them and put windows on them again.

Kind of an unstated sales point, really.

I mean, when I sold sheep Intel Macs, I'd tell them, "Hey, if you don't like osX, you can always buy Windows and install it on this thing. Then you have something that looks like this... and you can actually use it."
Score
December 13, 2010 7:38:54 PM

THE DESIGN IS PERFECT, clean and black, it could be more black in the details, but still perfect. Methinks chrome OS is dead before released, but this design is so hot.
Score
Anonymous
December 13, 2010 8:18:09 PM

Quit getting hung up on the design and specs of the hardware. This is a testing unit given out for free to the pilot testers of the Chrome OS. It's strictly for feedback on the OS. You will not be able to buy this laptop. Google is not going to sell a Chrome OS laptop. They're not Apple... When Chrome OS is available pre-installed on laptops/netbooks, it will be from companies like Acer and Samsung and they will have their names on it and have their own designs.
Score
December 13, 2010 8:41:33 PM

MokenQuit getting hung up on the design and specs of the hardware. This is a testing unit given out for free to the pilot testers of the Chrome OS. It's strictly for feedback on the OS. You will not be able to buy this laptop. Google is not going to sell a Chrome OS laptop. They're not Apple... When Chrome OS is available pre-installed on laptops/netbooks, it will be from companies like Acer and Samsung and they will have their names on it and have their own designs.

I agree the design isn't something very important, for any computer, much less a reference sample. However, I think the specs of the machine ARE important. Google evidently thinks this software will run smoothly on a single-core Atom. Microsoft never made such claims until Windows 7 (in fact, they refused to sell Vista licenses to netbook OEMs because they knew it wouldn't work, and sold XP because they had nothing else). Apple doesn't make a "netbook" because of their own claims of inadequate performance (the iPad runs a different OS, so no telling when we might see an iOS netbook). Therefore, the inclusion of a single-core Atom (which puts this in a netbook class) is a statement being made by Google that says "look, we not only claim it should work, we're giving you a computer to prove it". Of course, if you can't even stream videos chop-free off YouTube (which Google owns), then they've only served to throw egg in their own face. Hopefully performance on these test samples does not suffer, else ChromeOS might not make it far off the ground.
Score
December 13, 2010 8:47:46 PM

For everyone who loves the design... To bad you will never see it anywhere or be able to buy it. This is just a reference for vendors, who will stamp their logo all over the thing, and make other "improvements". :( 

For everyone who doesn't like the processor choice... Fortunately, this is just a reference design and Chrome OS will run on any number of processors. This is just a reference for vendors, who will add their logo and make other improvements. :) 
Score
December 13, 2010 10:06:23 PM

Wow. You went to bed with it already?
Score
December 13, 2010 11:19:54 PM

Gimme Nvidia Ion and were good
Score
December 13, 2010 11:43:00 PM

Make it convertible into a touchscreen tablet and I'd go for it.
Score
December 14, 2010 1:18:07 AM

I wonder how this one perform in real world.
Score
December 14, 2010 1:50:21 AM

Ugh, no ethernet port. Doesn't google know that not everyone has great Wi-Fi networks (especially if you wanted to use this in a corporate environment)?
Score
December 14, 2010 2:13:49 AM

pawessum16Make it convertible into a touchscreen tablet and I'd go for it.

Will undoubtedly happen. That, or Google drops Chrome OS completely in support of Android 3.0.

Also, why bother complaining about the CR-48? It's reference. By the time Chrome OS notebooks / netbooks / tablets come out, they won't look anything like these.

Score
December 14, 2010 2:25:13 AM

I didn't get it. Why not test the OS distributing it? This is some kind of closed beta?
Score
December 14, 2010 2:55:53 AM

They really don't get it, the Verizon G3 G4 or whatever is the limit. They are doing nothing new here.
Score
December 14, 2010 4:15:52 AM

... junk...
Score
December 14, 2010 5:36:40 AM

kind of feel that current hardware profile is created by keeping it in mind that this lappy is supposed to be a thin client.
Anyways its beautiful on outside.
Score
December 14, 2010 5:39:17 AM

sebojWill undoubtedly happen. That, or Google drops Chrome OS completely in support of Android 3.0.Also, why bother complaining about the CR-48? It's reference. By the time Chrome OS notebooks / netbooks / tablets come out, they won't look anything like these.

Yeah, true, it was more of an idle comment. I really can't find myself having a need for anything that doesn't have a full blown windows OS and the hardware to support. I also believe (all personal opinion) that the future for portable devices is touch screens. I personally am not going to buy a portable device in the future that doesn't have a touchscreen (laptops included) and if it doesn't fit in my pocket then it might as well have a full keyboard (I don't understand the hype behind this tablet craze, I'd rather get a netbook that would have greater functionality for an equivalent price). Also, aren't netbooks on the decline? So, I don't see the niche for this product in todays world (maybe two years ago when the netbook craze was at it's prime) especially when you see plenty of articles on here about cell companies not being able to hold up to network usage, which makes for somewhat restricted on the go web surfing.
Score
December 14, 2010 5:47:26 AM

Started with images on the bed , what do you mean with this?
Score
December 14, 2010 9:18:26 AM

Probably the best looking low performance notebook/netbook ever. Minimalist, elegant and durable looking.

As for the comment on the Atom: there is a market for low end netbooks and given Chrome OS's promise of low hardware requirements, Atom might very well do the trick.

I do hope they'll release a 'premium' version, with an additional 1-2" of screen real estate and a full blown CULV processor. Perhaps a Sandy Bridge CULV? The superior integrated graphics sure would give the notebook a boost...

There's still one small thingy I keep asking myself everytime I see this notebook: where did the name Cr-48 come from? IIRC, there isn't an isotope of Cr with mass number 48, nor can I think of any other connection between Cr and 48.
Score
Anonymous
December 14, 2010 9:31:25 AM

The design seems right to me, and perfect for whatever Chinese company is going to manufacture them. With no brand badging, they won't have to bother making a copy of another company's logo etc. to try and sell a rip-off of their own. Just start cranking them out as fast as they can.
Score
December 14, 2010 9:50:36 AM

apart from the silly idea of having all your content on the net, i reallylike the netbooks appearance. Design is subjective. Though i'd love to see the innards of the netty...hands on Cr-48
Score
Anonymous
December 14, 2010 10:52:18 AM

Looks great! I'm digging the minimalism. If only they'd come out with a slightly larger screen & more powerful processor :-) Can't wait to see what's in store.
Score
Anonymous
December 14, 2010 10:56:04 AM

Stick with Ubuntu
Score
December 14, 2010 11:11:43 AM

The video card is crap in my opinion. I wouldnt buy anything video related from intel .
Score
December 14, 2010 11:56:34 AM

I'm thinking Ubuntu rig here.
Score
Anonymous
December 14, 2010 1:25:35 PM

so i've been testing this for about a week now, and there's nothing in the settings/OS that allows using that Bluetooth radio. guess they'll add this feature as later updates roll out.
Score
December 14, 2010 1:39:01 PM

What possible relevance could the CPU power or brand, or memory size be to a user? What nonsensical, irrelevant comments. You're using the system, not writing the OS. How could you know what the memory requirements would be for this entirely new and different OS/platform? How could you possibly guess the performance or memory needs of something you know nothing about?
Score
December 14, 2010 3:06:26 PM

I hope there`s an ARM based netbook coming out too, especially with the a15 around the corner, that`ll really increase the power while keeping battery drain low.
Score
December 14, 2010 3:47:49 PM

lamorpaWhat possible relevance could the CPU power or brand, or memory size be to a user? What nonsensical, irrelevant comments. You're using the system, not writing the OS. How could you know what the memory requirements would be for this entirely new and different OS/platform? How could you possibly guess the performance or memory needs of something you know nothing about?

Because we know a great deal about it...

1) It's UI is extremely simple and largely devoid of flashy effect (similar to the cognate browser), thus reducing hardware requirements.
2) We can all see the source code, so we know as much about it as we want to.
3) It's based on a modified, trimmed Linux kernel. Further trimming a fairly lightweight kernel is sure to yield performance benefits.

What relevance could CPU power have to a user? Well, let me take whatever PC you're using atm and swap it for an archaic Pentium I or something...
Score
December 14, 2010 3:48:43 PM

tu_illegalamigoI hope there`s an ARM based netbook coming out too, especially with the a15 around the corner, that`ll really increase the power while keeping battery drain low.

The OS supports ARM and ARM seems keen to be become more than a SoC-component vendor, so I'm sure Chrome OS will pair with ARM pretty soon.
Score
December 15, 2010 4:00:11 PM

Very minimalist, and business! A nice copy of the visual design of the base macbook from 4 years ago. I hate that every laptop is a billboard with tacky stickers that you can't remove.
Score
December 16, 2010 3:48:25 AM

I appreciate the minimalist hardware design, but I want the Caps Lock back. Good thing they offer a way to map it back.
Score
!