Transfering Windows to New Hard Drive

I was using Windows XP Prof on my PC, and was supplied with a Recovery CD
for Windows along with my PC, and the Hard Drive crashed, Now i wish to
install Windows on a new Hard Drive, but the CD is a recover CD.
How do i install Windows to new Hard Drive without encountering the problem
of CD Key already being registered.... Please help.

D.P.S.
2 answers Last reply
More about transfering windows hard drive

    If the internet activation procedure fails, then follow the procedure to "activate by phone".

    How to activate Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307890

    Description of Microsoft Product Activation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302806

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "D.P.Singh" <dp.singh@tainet.net> wrote:

    >I was using Windows XP Prof on my PC, and was supplied with a Recovery CD
    >for Windows along with my PC, and the Hard Drive crashed, Now i wish to
    >install Windows on a new Hard Drive, but the CD is a recover CD.
    >How do i install Windows to new Hard Drive without encountering the problem
    >of CD Key already being registered.... Please help.
    >
    >D.P.S.

    Just go for it. Changing the hard drive, when all other hardware
    remains the same, should not cause any complications with the
    activation of your Windows.

    In fact if you have a "Recovery CD" then it is quite likely that your
    Windows XP is the SLP (BIOS Locked) version which is self-activating
    provided it is used on the original computer/motherboard.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Data Recovery CD-Rom Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP