  • Microsoft
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
September 2, 2005 7:07:40 AM

I was using Windows XP Prof on my PC, and was supplied with a Recovery CD
for Windows along with my PC, and the Hard Drive crashed, Now i wish to
install Windows on a new Hard Drive, but the CD is a recover CD.
How do i install Windows to new Hard Drive without encountering the problem
of CD Key already being registered.... Please help.

D.P.S.

More about : transfering windows hard drive

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 7:07:41 AM

If the internet activation procedure fails, then follow the procedure to "activate by phone".

How to activate Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307890

Description of Microsoft Product Activation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302806

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"D.P.Singh" wrote:

| I was using Windows XP Prof on my PC, and was supplied with a Recovery CD
| for Windows along with my PC, and the Hard Drive crashed, Now i wish to
| install Windows on a new Hard Drive, but the CD is a recover CD.
| How do i install Windows to new Hard Drive without encountering the problem
| of CD Key already being registered.... Please help.
|
| D.P.S.
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 1:32:32 PM

"D.P.Singh" <dp.singh@tainet.net> wrote:

>I was using Windows XP Prof on my PC, and was supplied with a Recovery CD
>for Windows along with my PC, and the Hard Drive crashed, Now i wish to
>install Windows on a new Hard Drive, but the CD is a recover CD.
>How do i install Windows to new Hard Drive without encountering the problem
>of CD Key already being registered.... Please help.
>
>D.P.S.

Just go for it. Changing the hard drive, when all other hardware
remains the same, should not cause any complications with the
activation of your Windows.

In fact if you have a "Recovery CD" then it is quite likely that your
Windows XP is the SLP (BIOS Locked) version which is self-activating
provided it is used on the original computer/motherboard.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP